Dynadot

Domain Hobbyist - Good or Bad?

NameSilo
Watch

Domain Hobbyists - Good or bad?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Good

votes
    54.5%
  • Bad

votes
    45.5%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Internet.Domains

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
During an exchange on another thread the word "hobbyist" was thrown out to discredit a valid difference of opinion I had. I didn't feel the need to disclose my professional experiences so I did not engage in a rebuttal and was content with being labeled a hobbyist. I have no problem with being a hobbyist and having my primary professional experience being my primary income.

The one thing that is bothersome is that the word "hobbyist" was used as a way to discredit a differentiating point of view, it was used as, implying, "you don't know what your talking about because you don't domain for a living."

My opinion is that there are many people who domain invest as a hobbyist. Meaning that domain sales may not be their primary income. Hobbyists can be very knowledgeable in domaining and other professions. Hobbyists are the primary source of domain investors and the collective talent makes domain investing interesting and adventurous.

Trying to discredit a domain investor by labeling them a "hobbyist" is ignorant and lacking basis. Hobbyists come from many backgrounds and adds to the talent pool in domain investing. I personally enjoy the hobbyist as much as the full time domainer.

Although, that's my opinion. What do you think of "hobbyist" domain investors? Good or bad?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I was not talking about your domaining but your lack of understanding of marketing/SEO/reputation management etc. And the basis for it was your lack of understanding of marketing/SEO/reputation management etc. I literally posted examples to help you out.

Then I gave yet another example with trademarks. A lawyer with experience in trademark law who's actually been involved in cases is usually going to be more knowledgeable than those that haven't.

Last edited:
•••
I was not talking about your domaining but your lack of understanding of marketing. And the basis for it was your lack of understanding of marketing. I literally posted examples to help you out.
Hello JB, I was expecting you.

I see, so you question my "understanding of marketing."

Well, it so happens to be that my marketing experience is far from a hobbyist. Marketing has been a large part of my income for decades. I wouldn't consider myself as a marketing hobbyist, but I will not debate your right to label me accordingly.

I prefer mine shaken, not stirred.

Cheers!

•••
Hello JB, I was expecting you.

I see, so you question my "understanding of marketing."

Well, it so happens to be that my marketing experience is far from a hobbyist. Marketing has been a large part of my income for decades. I wouldn't consider myself as a marketing hobbyist, but I will not debate your right to label me accordingly.

I prefer mine shaken, not stirred.

Cheers!

I have no idea what your experience in marketing is, I just know it wasn't being displayed in that thread. You were literally trying to argue against facts, examples.

•••
I like hobbyists way more if they're talented at what they're doing. They've got the passion a lot of professionals lack, not limited to domaining.

Just got a guitar build by a hobbyist. It's as good as my vintage Hummingbird and I payed him accordingly.

What thread are we referring to?

•••
•••
•••
Remember when you said:

That is why this thread was made. You seem to discredit hobbyist domain investors with that quote. Correct me if I am wrong.

I already did correct you above, I wasn't talking about domaining. In the thread I just linked to, I gave examples. It's all in that thread already.

Last edited:
•••
I hope you guys never meet my mother! She'd call you all including me Hobbyists! Lol

Unless it's a legit job like nurse or lawyer or doctor or even taxi driver.....it's a HOBBY.

when I showed her I made $25k oh CoinMena.com

She'll remind me she won $50,000 off a $1 quinella bet. She is a 78 year old handicapper. Lol I drive her to the track every Saturday. She never spends her money. The old timers there buy her hot tea and and a sandwich and ask her for tips. She always hits. She can get first two horses or all three in order or all 5 in order.

The winners give her 20-30-%.

She'll tell you. What she does is a Hobby. Every now she makes money. If she loses no big deal she won't be homeless or starve.

I guess that's why she sees what I do as a Hobby.

If anyone is ever at the Meadowlands on a Saturday. Go find the tiny 4 foot tall Filipina lady surrounded by all the old Italian and Irish men.

Ask for Annie! If you are lucky she'll give you a tip.lol

•••
I already did correct you above, I wasn't talking about domaining. In the thread I just linked to, I gave examples. It's all in that

Alright. Can you see how the below quotes paints a different picture?

It might be you're are a hobbyist and don't know anything about marketing.

A hobbyist isn't going to be as knowledgeable as people that do this kind of stuff for a living.

•••
Alright. Can you see how the below quotes paints a different picture?

I understand you're taking things out of context, didn't post what came before and after, and didn't post a link to the thread so people can read for themselves.

•••
•••
Strike one.

Strike two.

Strike three.

I got three strikes in one post. I must be a hobbyist.:xf.grin:

None of that makes any sense. The whole conversation is already in the other thread I linked to. Feel free to hop on over, instead of cherry picking and posting out of context quotes.

Last edited:
•••
None of that makes any sense. The whole conversation is already in the other thread I linked to. Feel free to hop on over.
That thread is a completely different subject. Our debate definitely was off topic in that thread. I started this thread to not derail that thread any further.

•••
The knowledge, skill, and ability of a full-time professional who makes a good living at a certain trade will typically exceed that of an individual who takes an interest in the subject and perhaps studies it or practices on occasion. On the other hand, consistent study and practice of any field even if only brief over a period of years will normally lead to an a ability beyond that of newbies to the field.

•••
I can be the guru oldy and always a newbie amateur hobbyist rookie with domains you probably want. Only thing you need to do is carry yourself in a way that is professional and can look back without embarrassment to actions. The better you get at out bound and responding eg wording your negotiations will differ yourself between a novice and a professional.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back