IT.COM

legal Domain Front Running by Lumis.com

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

silentg

DomainRetail.comTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Has Lumis even offered to reimburse the domain registrant for the UDRP and legal fees they helped create?

•••
1. This specific matter aside, there are all sorts of people who can send emails to anyone, so one takeaway is to have a definite statement about what communications are, or are not, authorized by the domain registrant or an exclusive broker.

2. Lumis helpfully provided all of the communications, only a portion of which were presented in the complaint. The communications were repeatedly clear that they were acting independently.

That said, as pointed out above, a prospective complainant who is looking for anything they can use in a UDRP proceeding will certainly try to use communications like this, and will also use social media connections, conference attendance, or anything else, in order to suggest some sort of relationship between the domain registrant and the third-party domain acquisition proposal. In this instance, the Complainant argued:

Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 1.26.34 PM.png

You will also notice that they used the registrar privacy service - applied to zillions of domains - in order to draw a connection (and a "pattern of bad faith registration")

Have I mentioned again lately how much I'm not a fan of privacy services?

•••
Thanks for posting Lumis's reply, @bmugford. What's very concerning is Lumis apparently doesn't even care if a domain is already being brokered by a seller broker, they'll still reach out to potential buyers. Hey Lumis, what if the seller broker had already reached out to that buyer to try and sell them the domain? Clearly, your business practices are potentially harmful to not just domain owners but also other brokers. Stop, just stop. Ask the domain owner for permission before reaching out to any potential buyers, especially if the domain is knowingly owned by a domain investor and/or broker.
Yes, I am wondering what their role is if an authorized broker is attached.
If I hire a broker to represent my domain, I am expecting them to represent it.

Instead we now have an unconnected third party reaching out to potential end users, without the permission of the owner and likely without the knowledge of the owner or broker.

I realize they have a disclaimer, but still this could very likely get in they way of the authorized broker's work.

So, how exactly does a commission work?

Does the buyer pay a commission to Lumis?
Does the seller pay a commission to their broker AND Lumis?
Is their authorized broker squeezed out?

This is like adding an extra middleman when there is already a middleman, an authorized one.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
•••
Dealing with a standup broker is really important in this ever changing world of domaining. It sure isn't like it used to be.

•••
•••
I know Kosmos Holding well, their CEO worked at Endeavor in London at the same time as me. Smart group of people

Haven't read the thread in it's entirety, not a good look for lumis.

Wouldn't the ICA reprimand them for this type of malpractice?

•••
The thing I like best about these kind of threads...
You really get a look inside people and their basic integrity instinks... typo intentional.

Thanks everyone, it is appreciated.

Peace,
Kenny

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
Article or the case doesn't give info about the broker. I posted here because both UDRPs were created because of the broker.

•••
Back