IT.COM

Domain Broker? Commission only cold caller?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TampaDomains

Established Member
Impact
I used the search and some stuff about domain brokers, many varying opinions.

Is there any brokers that would sell $300-$500 domains for 20% or whatever?

If this is not available then what is any ones opinion on hiring a commission only cold caller as independent contractor?

Local or maybe even outsource it to upwork or some other type company?

I am having decent success selling some domains but I don't cold call and don't like to. So after I use my methods and have a some domains accumulating, there must be a way to get someone on the phones and pay them.

I mostly have geo/business or business/geo type domains that easily sell for $350 or so.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'd like to know this too. With a full time job and a full time GF (as in: living together) one only have a few hours a day to dedicate it to domains.

I would happily pay someone that gathers me a list of potential end users for my domains, with their current data (email addresses, telephone numbers, etc)

•••
I could gather that data for you if you paid me. That is what I am doing for myself anyway.
Some don't list email but have contact forms on website. but all have phone numbers.

PM me a few examples and how many end user contacts for how much you are thinking.

•••
I just don't like making cold calls. If they contact me then that is fine because they are already interested.

•••
I used the search and some stuff about domain brokers, many varying opinions.

Is there any brokers that would sell $300-$500 domains for 20% or whatever?

If this is not available then what is any ones opinion on hiring a commission only cold caller as independent contractor?

Local or maybe even outsource it to upwork or some other type company?

I am having decent success selling some domains but I don't cold call and don't like to. So after I use my methods and have a some domains accumulating, there must be a way to get someone on the phones and pay them.

I mostly have geo/business or business/geo type domains that easily sell for $350 or so.

What do you think of a broker who guarantee u a net amount if the domain sells. If it does, whatever is the overage is his commission.

•••
If the guaranteed net was good enough then maybe.

•••
I'd like to know this too. With a full time job and a full time GF (as in: living together) one only have a few hours a day to dedicate it to domains.

I would happily pay someone that gathers me a list of potential end users for my domains, with their current data (email addresses, telephone numbers, etc)
Sounds like an idea, only part time GF and work here, lol......
Perhaps i can offer the services to those with full time GF's and work like you?

•••

I could gather that data for you if you paid me. That is what I am doing for myself anyway.
Some don't list email but have contact forms on website. but all have phone numbers.

PM me a few examples and how many end user contacts for how much you are thinking.

Sounds like you guys might have a synergy )

One does not like collecting data, but does not mind calling, while the other doesn't mind collecting, but does not like calling )

Why don't you barter your services to each other?

•••
I'm thinking of a way to help domainers like you sell.

I will make a site to explain that business model. It's called DomainersNet.com

How it works is you send me the domain you want to sell and the price you want for the domain. If i think i can sell more than your wanted price, I will take on the name. Once the name gets sold, i'll pay you your wanted price and I'll keep what is left.

Domainers Net- if it sells, you get a flat net amount.

You don't even worry about the escrow fee or take more of your time from your girl friend just settle on the sales price. I will take care of all that.

How many you here are really interested.
If there is enough demand, then I'll start on the project.

•••

How it works is you send me the domain you want to sell and the price you want for the domain. If i think i can sell more than your wanted price, I will take on the name. Once the name gets sold, i'll pay you your wanted price and I'll keep what is left.

You don't even worry about the escrow fee or take more of your time from your girl friend just settle on the sales price. I will take care of all that.

I think this is an excellent idea. I would use that service.

One question, let's say you agree to pay 1000 and end user agrees to buy for 2000, how do you proceed ? Escrow with broker, or other method ?

•••
I think this is an excellent idea. I would use that service.

One question, let's say you agree to pay 1000 and end user agrees to buy for 2000, how do you proceed ? Escrow with broker, or other method ?

Good question. The goal is to make it as simple as possible for me and the seller.

So, if we agree that you will net $1,000. Then, you will get $1,000 at the end of escrow.

Here are the steps. The end user agrees to buy it for $2,000.

I start escrow at escrow.com as your broker. You and the buyer will follow escrow.com procesure. Once escrow gets $2,000 from the buyer, it will subtract escrow fee. From what is left, it will send you $1,000. It will send it to me the remaining amount.
See how simple it is. You don'have to worry how much the buyer will buy it. And i don't have to ask you if you accept the price. I do all the work and make the call.

Any more question, please let me know.

•••
The only downside is that if you get a name for $500 and sell it for $5000, that will leave a very negative feel with your suppliers.

If you are going to go with fixed amount vs %, you still might want to consider giving % of upside above certain threshhold.

Meaning, if the fixed price is X, anything up to 2X is yours, anything above 2X you split with supplier.

•••
The only downside is that if you get a name for $500 and sell it for $5000, that will leave a very negative feel with your suppliers.

If you are going to go with fixed amount vs %, you still might want to consider giving % of upside above certain threshhold.

Meaning, if the fixed price is X, anything up to 2X is yours, anything above 2X you split with supplier.

This was one of concerns as well, and the reason I asked about how the sale would proceed, Escrow or otherwise.

If the sale price is much more than the seller's pay, some sellers would back off.

•••
This was one of concerns as well, and the reason I asked about how the sale would proceed, Escrow or otherwise.

If the sale price is much more than the seller's pay, some sellers would back off.

Thanks for the response. There will be a contract for the seller to sign. I know some people back out of contracts because of greed. Even the broker works his butt off to sell the domains. Then, next time I won't accept his domains any more.

What if I will put on the contract clause for the seller to agree?

"I, __________, as a seller agree to have Obocar sell my domain because I agree to receive $_____ fixed price for my domain. I will not ask any more or less no matter how much the domain sells for. If there is chance that I may back out, then I will not sign this contract.

Seller's Signature:________________________________"

How about that? Would that solve the problem?

•••

This is a really cool idea. I would definitely use it, however most of my names are in Spanish -- but I'm planning on setting up my own marketplace at CompraDominio dot com for taking care of that. If you can move Spanish names that'd be a plus.

Thumbs up from me, would love to hear more from you and your project!

•••

Or I might include on the contract to ensure that the owner doesn't become last-minute greedy.

"The reason I as a seller seek Obocar to help sell my domain is because I'm 100 percent desperate to sell my domain. I need Obocar to work his butt off to help sell this domain, so he deserves to get paid on whatever the amount the domain sells over the agreed price. I will not whine and fuss no matter what price my domain sells for. I will be happy and thankful that he works hard to sell my domain.
Seller's signature:_____________."

What to you think?

•••
I like the discussion... Keep the innovative ideas coming...:)

•••
This is a really cool idea. I would definitely use it, however most of my names are in Spanish -- but I'm planning on setting up my own marketplace at CompraDominio dot com for taking care of that. If you can move Spanish names that'd be a plus.

Thumbs up from me, would love to hear more from you and your project!

I'll test the concept out with English name first. If it proves to be successful, then I can move to spanish domains later on. I took Spanish for 4 years in high school. If I were to broker Spanish names, I would have to hire someone fluent in Spanish to help.

•••
I had announced recently here on NamePros the launch of a platform that will focus on brokering geo names, but that will also broker premium domains. The platform is already being built. I will fully explain the details when it starts operating, very very soon, but for now, here are a few details.
  • You sign up for free and become a member right after confirming your email.
  • You submit a maximum of 10 names per month with the minimum price you would accept. But we will try to get you a higher offer from end-users.
  • We either accept or reject your domain.
  • You give us 30 days to sell your domain.
  • If the domain sells, you pay a 25% commission.
  • Once we find a buyer, we start a three-party transaction through an escrow company.
  • Escrow collects the money and directs you to transfer the domain.
  • Escrow pays you and pays us.
  • The buyer will pay the escrow fee.
  • If your domain does not sell, you pay nothing.
We will work hard to sell your domains, because we only get paid if they sell.

See the name of the platform on my avatar.

Last edited:
•••
Some thoughts...

1) You could buy the domain from the seller and then sell it to the end user, without him knowing the final price. But I guess that would need 2 escrow transactions.

2) What you are effectivey doing is getting a license to pitch a domain you don't own to prospective buyers, and hopefully later buy it from the owner and resell it for a profit.

•••
•••
No. Since we are doing a three-party transaction, you will always know how much the end-user is paying. The three parties, you, end-user on my company are involved. We are not buying the name from you.

Now, we may consider buying names submitted in the future, but it is not something we are doing right now.

•••
No. Since we are doing a three-party transaction, you will always know how much the end-user is paying. The three parties, you, end-user on my company are involved. We are not buying the name from you.

Now, we may consider buying names submitted in the future, but it is not something we are doing right now.

My post was directed to the OP, not your post...

•••
I already have few people emailing me their domains and asked if I have started this brokering yet. I am consider it strongly for this idea.

As of now, I'm working on brokering premium domain names, which are worth $50,000 or higher and my commission is 15 percent on those types of names.

However, I feel there is a high demand for the lower priced domains. So, I'm strongly considering Domainers Net model, where the seller receive a fixed net amount from the sales of the domain.

So there are two types of domains that I will be selling.

1. the premium ones based on a percentage commission

2. the non-premium domains where the domain owners receive a net amount

•••
•••
Back