IT.COM

opinion Domain Advertising

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

jiy k

Established Member
Impact
Can Domains be sold via Social Media like Facebook sponsored Ads, App Ads or lisiting on Ebay etc.

Thank You.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can Domains be sold via Social Media like Facebook sponsored Ads, App Ads or lisiting on Ebay etc.

Thank You.

Yes you can use ads, and some still do try Ebay for sales.

•••
•••
@jiy k Good question.

I come from an Adwords background so would be very interested to hear from members who use Pay Per Click ads to sell their domains. Do people concentrate on Facebook, Ebay promoted listings, Google search or placement on websites via adsense?

How does this compare with a placement on somewhere like Namebio? Thanks in advance.

•••
Beware Ebay. There is zero seller protection ! If a buyer tries to scam you ie they may claim that you didn't transfer the domain, Ebay will always side with the buyer & you will be forced to refund the buyer. Ebay have no way to check & are not interested in checking, as far as Ebay are concerned the buyer is always right.

If you are going to try & sell on ebay (in my experience.....don't bother) make sure you state in the description that you will only push the domain to an acc at the same registrar & do not give the buyer an auth code. At least that way, if the buyer still tries to scam you, you've got the registrar to back you up, not that Ebay will care about the truth. All academic anyway, as nothing sells on Ebay anymore least of all domain names.

PS Have you seen some of the names on there, let alone the prices !! Good for a laugh !

Last edited:
•••
Yeah... charging postage for delivery of a virtual asset (domain name) is big red flag ;)

•••
@jiy k
I come from an Adwords background so would be very interested to hear from members who use Pay Per Click ads to sell their domains. Do people concentrate on Facebook, Ebay promoted listings, Google search or placement on websites via adsense?

I trialed G adwords campaign for a major news publisher in the very early days and quickly advised head office to drop the strategy - if it still works the same (paying for clicks based on keyword value) I would steer well clear of that approach for selling domains. Jerks and social media gangs can easily drain your marketing budget for no gain. If you have a good keyword domain name, it should sell itself via organic search and some basic SEO.

•••
@CraigD Thank you for your thoughts.

In my time in Adwords, for a while, I worked in one particularly cutthroat Industry, but we didn't get on the wrong end of click fraud. Google apparently is one of the better PPC advertising platforms for tracing click fraud. What I would say as an ex-campaign manager, is that you are monitoring results on a daily basis. Particularly for a client, as they can get upset pretty quickly if money is going to waste. I have temporarily suspended campaigns in the event of other anomalies.

The only thing playing on my mind re: PPC is that it is ideally suited to high value products - so premium domain names are a good fit in that respect. I accept that SEO is the more natural fit.

•••
I've tried outbounding to Facebook and LinkedIn. No results for now. So I'm waiting

•••
•••
last month i sold AweSun.com for $4000 through facebook purchased for $25 holding one week sold to chinese company social media works for sure 😊

•••
I have bought a few names off ebay. I spotted @CraigD with a domain on ebay once.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Beware Ebay. There is zero seller protection ! If a buyer tries to scam you ie they may claim that you didn't transfer the domain, Ebay will always side with the buyer & you will be forced to refund the buyer. Ebay have no way to check & are not interested in checking, as far as Ebay are concerned the buyer is always right.

If you are going to try & sell on ebay (in my experience.....don't bother) make sure you state in the description that you will only push the domain to an acc at the same registrar & do not give the buyer an auth code. At least that way, if the buyer still tries to scam you, you've got the registrar to back you up, not that Ebay will care about the truth. All academic anyway, as nothing sells on Ebay anymore least of all domain names.

PS Have you seen some of the names on there, let alone the prices !! Good for a laugh !
Thanks for cautioning.
last month i sold AweSun.com for $4000 through facebook purchased for $25 holding one week sold to chinese company social media works for sure 😊
Thanks for

Thanks for the valuable input.

•••
Did you go for Paid Advertising on FB?

•••
Did you go for Paid Advertising on FB?
Fb paid ads doesnt work..
Best paid ads are of linkedin.
then twitter
then adwords if you know how to do retargetting without retargetting adwords will suck all your budget with no result.
fb ads not good for domains .. fb ads are good for Ecommerce only

•••
•••
then twitter
then adwords if you know how to do retargetting without retargetting adwords will suck all your budget with no result.
Thanks

•••
@jiy k Good question.

How does this compare with a placement on somewhere like Namebio? Thanks in advance.
Thank you for the info

•••
I tried to sell some of my domain names through social media, its works but the ROI is not much.
If your domain is brandable one it's better to list it in the specialized marketplace like BrandDo, BB, BrandRoot, etc...
And if your domain is a keyword or general one you can try Godaddy, Sedo, Afternic, etc....

Last edited:
•••
I tried to sell some of my domain names through social media, its works but the ROI is not much.
If your domain is brandable one it's better to list it in the specialized marketplace like BrandDo, BB, BrandRoot, etc...
And if your domain is a keyword or general one you can try Godaddy, Sedo, Afternic, etc....
Thank You.

•••
then twitter
thnk you for your info

•••
LinkedIn's ads are expensive, and if you try to post your own content without pay, you'll soon be banned.

Sedo home page display advertising about $65 a month, the effect is OK, could attract a lot of traffic, but the quality of your domain name determines whether it can be sold.

•••
LinkedIn's ads are expensive, and if you try to post your own content without pay, you'll soon be banned.

Sedo home page display advertising about $65 a month, the effect is OK, could attract a lot of traffic, but the quality of your domain name determines whether it can be sold.
Is the price for advertising your portfolio/domain on their platform or you can direct the click to an external website?

•••

Great info! - Thanks. Have you tried Namebio advertising? How does that oompare with Sedo? At the time of writing it is $125 per month on Namebio. From what I understand your ad gets shown at the top of most pages, so a wide exposure.

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-25_10-37-17.png
    upload_2020-7-25_10-37-17.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 272
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back