IT.COM

"Domain Administrator" in Whois info instead of actual name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

AlphaToday

Established Member
Impact
Assuming a person wants to register a domain name as a private party and does not have a business or represent some organization. Is it okay to put "Domain Administrator" in the "Registrant Name" space for the Whois information instead of the individual's actual name?

I was reading a 2013 article, titled "If ICANN and WIPO can't comply with WHOIS, who can?" and I'm wondering if there is any recent information on the subject or thoughts from you all.

At the moment, I'm too new to the forum to post links, so feel free to google the article title if you wish to read it.

- Thanks for your time. Much appreciated. Looking forward to being able to post links some day :o)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Assuming a person wants to register a domain name as a private party and does not have a business or represent some organization. Is it okay to put "Domain Administrator" in the "Registrant Name" space for the Whois information instead of the individual's actual name?

I was reading a 2013 article, titled "If ICANN and WIPO can't comply with WHOIS, who can?" and I'm wondering if there is any recent information on the subject or thoughts from you all.

At the moment, I'm too new to the forum to post links, so feel free to google the article title if you wish to read it.

- Thanks for your time. Much appreciated. Looking forward to being able to post links some day :o)

Not if you want to make sure you do not lose your domain.

Many domainers put information other than their name in the whois records.

This is against the ICAAN rules.

The danger is that anyone can challenge your ownership of the domain and say you are not the real owner because your name does not appear in the records.

In practice I do not think this happens very often, and many, many domainers put false information in their whois record and have done this for years.

Personally, I would not risk it.

If you want to make your domain private you can use registrars such as NameSilo or Uniregistry.

They offer private registration for free and their reg prices are very reasonable.

There is still a small danger using private registration because your name does not appear in the public records and so an unscrupulous registrar could, in theory, steal your name and you would have a hard time proving your ownership.

I believe NameSilo and Uniregistry are good companies and not a risk for this kind of behavior.

I would not use fake info or private registration for high value names so there is less of a risk losing them.

Hope this answers your question.

•••
If it's good enough for Microsoft... and Google...

It's pretty easy to verify if a phone number is fake or not.. But how about emails and addresses? Has anybody actually been a part of the process of verification - how does ICANN reach out? And, in practice, does the domain name really get taken away if the details are false, or do they just make you update them?

•••
If it's good enough for Microsoft... and Google...

It's pretty easy to verify if a phone number is fake or not.. But how about emails and addresses? Has anybody actually been a part of the process of verification - how does ICANN reach out? And, in practice, does the domain name really get taken away if the details are false, or do they just make you update them?

Many registrars will send you an email periodically asking you to verify your whois info. If you read the fine print in the terms from some of them, they might be able to, under ICAAN rules, take away your ownership rights for the domain. At least they can try.

I have never heard of this happening, but I believe a shady registrar that wants a good name could resort to this if they wanted to.

•••
I should have been more specific in my first post. How about using all of the correct contact information while putting "Domain Administrator" instead of your own name?

Understandably, anyone with some due diligence could track the address and phone to find out the name but it's an extra step that many won't complete. Putting "Domain Administrator" would prevent your name from being blatantly obvious on every whois search.

What do you think?

•••
Back