IT.COM

question Does your traffic stats mean anything to you?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Denismth

Established Member
Impact
Especially I am noticing more traffic of some domains parked @ Dan.com.
Does more traffic usually result in sales? What's your experience with traffic vs sales?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
means nothing in most cases. Once you do this long enough, you won't look at any of those numbers.

•••
•••
Last edited:
•••
means nothing in most cases. Once you do this long enough, you won't look at any of those numbers.
This is the strangest thing I hear many people say here. Am just starting Domain biz though I was in internet marketing for 12+yrs. Never brokethrough there. Hope this will be my bread and butter.
But this is strange here because I am hearing 'just create the domain and buyers will come' kind of thing. Whereas in internet business, you have to toil to get traffic. Otherwise you are guaranteed to fail.

Many people told me here they don't bother about featuring their domain in Godaddy or Sedo. On the contrary Godaddy sends email to me now and then telling me that many people succeeded by promoting their listing by featuring them. The first domain I sold I guess it is due to my featuring it.
Not to debate on the subject but I would leave the idea of traffic/promotion if it works without it. Just wanted to know what works.

Last edited:
•••
This is the strangest thing I hear many people say here. Am just starting Domain biz though I was in internet marketing for 12+yrs. Never brokethrough there. Hope this will be my bread and butter.
But this is strange here because I am hearing 'just create the domain and buyers will come' kind of thing. Whereas in internet business, you have to toil to get traffic. Otherwise you are guaranteed to fail.

Many people told me here they don't bother about featuring their domain in Godaddy or Sedo. On the contrary Godaddy sends email to me now and then telling me that many people succeeded by promoting their listing by featuring them. The first domain I sold I guess it is due to my featuring it.
Not to debate on the subject but I would leave the idea of traffic/promotion if it works without it. Just wanted to know what works.
You should list your domain everywhere. Most important is GoDaddy's Afternic and make sure fast transfer is on for maximum exposure. You might not be able to use fast transfer if your domain if at a registrar that does not support it.

Featuring names on godaddy is all about what you have and what you are looking for.

Try everything to learn what works.

In most cases you make the most money in this business when someone comes to you for a name and not if you go to them.

If you do outbound marketing via email for example, it will rarely work with expensive names.

Most domainers wait for offers. Read the completed sales section, some people share how long they waited for the sale, it's usually many years.

Last edited:
•••
You should list your domain everywhere. Most important is GoDaddy's Afternic and make sure fast transfer is on for maximum exposure. You might not be able to use fast transfer if your domain if at a registrar that does not support it.

Featuring names on godaddy is all about what you have and what you are looking for.

Try everything to learn what works.

In most cases you make the most money in this business when someone comes to you for a name and not if you go to them.

If you do outbound marketing via email for example, it will rarely work with expensive names.

Most domainers wait for offers. Read the completed sales section, some people share how long they waited for the sale, it's usually many years.
Got it thanks.

•••
This calls for patient. You have to be patient enough and have faith that one day you too will testify to the goodness of the Lord.

•••
I have sites with tools to assist in all aspects of traffic but it will be the merit of the domain that will lure the buyer.

•••
Moat traffic you see on Dan and Epik are from bots. That makes the stats inconsequential.

Stats from Bodis give a clearer representation of visits from ACTUAL people because they seem to actively filter bot traffic.

•••
Traffic can mean :

1. Your domain is so good, that's why people love to type in. Example : Diamond.com
2. Your domain was well developed into popular Website, so there are a lot of people remember it, linked their post to it, or visited it. Example high da and pa domains.
3. Your domain is easily indexed by search engine, so it has big potential to be used for commercial url. Example : Vacation.Rentals suppose to be easily indexed at keyword Vacation Rentals.

So good traffic surely has an important meaning for buyers too. Even some Traffic Domains sold very high because their traffic stats, or because potential earning in parking.

Last edited:
•••
Statscounter and those 3rd party services are unreliable. Google analytics only for me. Sedo is a joke
Yes it used to matter. I would have my monitor quartered so I could view 4 pages at once. So thrilled to get a visitor. Lots bots
As @AEProgram stated after while, 5-10-15 years who cares. Ching ching the sound of the cash register is all that matters.
Also I have no time, this is like job 5 of 5
So it was very important but now I havent looked at those stats in months. Rather look at the 10 bucks wandering around the farm where I am working job 3. No fear of me at all
If you get visitor from Tanzania, thats me using vpn

•••
Statscounter and those 3rd party services are unreliable. Google analytics only for me. Sedo is a joke
Yes it used to matter. I would have my monitor quartered so I could view 4 pages at once. So thrilled to get a visitor. Lots bots
As @AEProgram stated after while, 5-10-15 years who cares. Ching ching
If you get visitor from Tanzania, thats me using vpn
LOL 😁😁😁

•••
You can’t count on traffic as a measure of impending sale. Everyone here can testify to having many views and no sales on names.

•••
Ya especially one of the domains I have made it to the top within dan in days.
Let's see if it sales.

•••
•••
Moat traffic you see on Dan and Epik are from bots. That makes the stats inconsequential.

Stats from Bodis give a clearer representation of visits from ACTUAL people because they seem to actively filter bot traffic.
What evidence to back up these claims?

•••
What evidence to back up these claims?
It's easy to find your own evidence.

Just point nameservers for your domain names previously listed on Epik/Dan to Bodis.

Compare results over the same period of time. There's your evidence.

•••
In Dynadot there is a hits counter, I asked them if bots are filtered out, support was not sure to answer that. I wish to disable bots traffic because it is showing duplicate clicks in my affiliate product account. But it also gets some genuine clicks. So Am not sure if Sedo or Bodis do filter bots traffic either. If anyone is so sure, he/she may tell us.

•••
> Does your traffic stats mean anything to you?

Yes. But very few people would be interested to buy the domain/website they visited
Buyer/visitor ratio would likely be lower than 1/10,000 for organic unpaid traffic.

Last edited:
•••
> Does your traffic stats mean anything to you?

Yes. But very few people would be interested to buy the domain/website they visited
Buyer/visitor ratio would likely be lower than 1/10,000 for organic unpaid traffic.
Ohh a staggering 1/10,000
Almost insignificant IMO.

•••

Long years ago, probably 20 years ago, I promoted a low quality domain at Sedo.

It worked well. The domain was sold for around 1,000 euro to a European person. He made an offer in Euro (Euro was a new thing) and I countered in Euro. He accepted my counter offer and paid. I was not expecting he would accept and pay. The domain was PR4 or 5. Pagerank and some organic were the only good things with the domain. I would be very happy if it was sold for $300. For me it was a low quality domain. I bought it from expiring auction for less than $50 and few months later I sold it for around 1000 euro.

After my first promotion worked well, I paid for promotions for 10+ times but none of those worked. Since then I don't pay for promotions.

Last edited:
•••
Ohh a staggering 1/10,000
Almost insignificant IMO.

Traffic quality is important in what you want from traffic. Ordinary visitors are not domain buyers. They visit domains/websites for information or fun. Ordinary people are not domain buyers, investors. In online traffic they are more than 9,999 people for each 10,000 visitors.

•••
Surprised that Sedo was 20 yrs ago 😲😲😲.

Probably the oldest auction site.

•••
Surprised that Sedo was 20 yrs ago 😲😲😲.

Probably the oldest auction site.

There was also tdnam (godaddy auctions) I am unsure if users were allowed to sell.
20 years is a rough number. It can be something between 15-20 years. I don't remember the exact date. I remember Sedo was around in 2004/5

•••
Back