Dynadot

question Does the extension make a Real difference?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

000victor

Established Member
Impact
Sorry about the annoying question but i read almost 100 (interesting) threads but due to the fact that i'm new and my english is not perfect i did not understand a "simple" thing...
If for example i buy a new single word domain in a not "famous" extension and there's an already existing very high value same domain with another extension, is my domain automatically profitable or not? Could it just have a value as a domain or should i develope a website on that domain? Sorry but maybe (for sure(n)) it's not clear to me the difference domain value/website value (but anyway i'm interested in domain-culture(y))
Thaks everybody
Vittorio

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Yes. It makes a difference.

.com is the most valuable but others sell well also. This is a complicated subject but as a rule of thumb, try to register single word domains.

•••
Thanks, that's exactely what i'm trying to do.. anyway i'm not that new..:banghead:
I meant: if i register - just for example - google.BEER, does it worth even a small part of the .COM?

•••
I meant: if i register - just for example - google.BEER, does it worth even a small part of the .COM?

Don´t reg any TM names and no it doesn't necessarily have any value whatsoever

•••
If it’s available for hand registration and it’s never been registered before then it’s not worth much of anything today. Tomorrow? Who knows.

•••
Some extensions are indeed use by too many Malicious websites and I think it will lead to whole extensions finally get blocked by commercial router firewall rule by default.

Source: https://www.symantec.com/blogs/feature-stories/top-20-shady-top-level-domains

table-20-tlds3.png

Last edited:
•••
interesting perspective..
I had never considered it

•••
Another real distinction between Chrome augmentations and web applications is the way that while expansions are utilized to upgrade the usefulness of the Chrome Browser, web applications keep running inside the program having an alternate UI. Not at all like web applications, augmentations have close to nothing or here and there no UI segment.

•••
I found this website spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/ that keeps up to date information on a domain extension's spam %. A domain extension with a high spam % can get a website blocked by google. You can check a lot of domain extensions on this site.

Some of the worst extensions are:

.gdn at 93.2%
.work at 62.6 %
.world at 61.9%

Even .us has 32.3%

Since .com is the most popular extension, I use it as my standard. .com has a spam % of 6.0%, so I try to stay away from any extension that has a higher spam % than that.

•••
You have to do a domain research before that, if that is available fwith your extension or not and if it is available check the value of that domain. You should always go for .Com if it is available.

•••
Domain extension does add a dynamic feel and utility to many as used, for example - all.online ... it conveys the message of what to expect on this domain

•••
It is clear that the amount of new gTLDs has increased opportunities for shady actors. If an extension has little to none legitimate businesses operating on it then it is risky to sell or launch a business on SLDs with that TLD.

Unfortunately the premium pricing model adopted by almost all the registries that own the new extensions has dissuaded registrants to register domains that could have been put to good use.

Last edited:
•••
was checking for few domains like lawyer.online or cards.online and few more which were available for sale on get.online have now been listed at afternic as resales at $50,000 starting offer (not price) ... jacked up prices

•••
I found this website spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/ that keeps up to date information on a domain extension's spam %. A domain extension with a high spam % can get a website blocked by google.
Google bans are individual AND regardless of TLD.
This Spamhaus data/chart is for statistical purpose only.

There are also true Spamhaus blacklists, which are widely used by various email software etc.
You can recheck your domains and IPs here: https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

Last edited:
•••
Does the .com really matter in the grand scheme of things, surely it's down to the business marketing and seo for the site

For example

Xyz.com
Xyz.one

Business with .one does better seo and marketing so their site appears higher on search engines than xyz.com

Granted .com shows your more global but again this only really matters depending on your business type and what you do.

.one can be great prefix for brands or marketing campaign sites, or .global for more international businesses.

•••
Does the .com really matter in the grand scheme of things, surely it's down to the business marketing and seo for the site
Nope, doesn't matter in the grand scheme. But you have to work harder. When marketing a non-com, the challenge lies in having people/clients recognize the new TLD as valid.

The legacy extensions have had ~30 years to ingrain themselves worldwide. They are the go-to. Many instances, you don't even have to provide the extension when giving the domain name, people will automatically assume the .com ending.

There was a lot of hard work involved making .com ubiquitous with the Internet over a long time span, so those of us adopting a new gTLD, investors and businesses alike, can't just going to waltz in and expect things handed on a golden platter. There's also other hurdles to overcome, as TCK pointed out, the unpredictable pricing model. But this is more an issue for investors than business owners.

I agree, .one suffix is a great fit for a ton of names- it almost seems a no-brainer in many instances. Thousands of companies and business use "One" within their name, it just makes sense from a brand/url combo perspective. Also .one has been one of the most trustworthy new G's in terms of pricing stability.

There's also many other extensions with perfect fits on business names. It's actually to the point where its almost impossible to keep up, as investors. But great for the end user.

As far as it's ranking (eg .one), I'm not sure if there is still extension prejudice on the search engines, where the .com is preferred. Visibility placement should be dependent on content+relation to domain name. My domain portfolio site ranks #1 when typed in, and it's based on the .domains extension.

•••
Nope, doesn't matter in the grand scheme. But you have to work harder. When marketing a non-com, the challenge lies in having people/clients recognize the new TLD as valid.

The legacy extensions have had ~30 years to ingrain themselves worldwide. They are the go-to. Many instances, you don't even have to provide the extension when giving the domain name, people will automatically assume the .com ending.

There was a lot of hard work involved making .com ubiquitous with the Internet over a long time span, so those of us adopting a new gTLD, investors and businesses alike, can't just going to waltz in and expect things handed on a golden platter. There's also other hurdles to overcome, as TCK pointed out, the unpredictable pricing model. But this is more an issue for investors than business owners.

I agree, .one suffix is a great fit for a ton of names- it almost seems a no-brainer in many instances. Thousands of companies and business use "One" within their name, it just makes sense from a brand/url combo perspective. Also .one has been one of the most trustworthy new G's in terms of pricing stability.

There's also many other extensions with perfect fits on business names. It's actually to the point where its almost impossible to keep up, as investors. But great for the end user.

As far as it's ranking (eg .one), I'm not sure if there is still extension prejudice on the search engines, where the .com is preferred. Visibility placement should be dependent on content+relation to domain name. My domain portfolio site ranks #1 when typed in, and it's based on the .domains extension.

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback greatly appreciated. I totally agree with what you say especially with .one domains for example the brand Hoka one one (massive shoe company) they own Hokaone.one (I happen to own Hoka.one which I'm currently trying to sell to them, also I own choo.one which I'm trying to push towards Jimmy choo shoes for use as a marketing campaigns site)

Their are so many good brandable domains which have been taken with the .com but yet are available with different prefix.

Some domainers are hooked onto .com like it's the holly grail of prefixes but in reality a domain whatever the prefix is only as good as what someone's willing to pay for it. You could have tons of .com domains if they are not in demand they are worth nothing until someone's willing to pay for it.

On a separate note I have noticed many investors basing their domain value on previous similar domain sales which I think is irrelevant for example:

Privatejet.com which we all know sold for $30m (which I think was shady and the sale was to hide other money transfer disgued as the domain sale),

I own privatejetla.com privatejetuae.com privatejetldn.com privatejetjersey.com privatejetguernsey.com privatejetae.com

I would love to get millions for them obviously but I wouldn't dream of going to an aviation company and saying oh because that one sold for $30m these have similar value, you would be laughed out the door.

•••
Doesn't matter the extension, it matters what you do with it.

Of course there are shady ones as well, I do not argue about that, but the fact is that over here, on namepros, people that buy domains in 90% of the cases are just buying to resell, only 10% are developing websites. Why ? Because it is a lot of work.

If you are strictly focused on buying / selling ? Then, yes, just .com
If you want to do something else? You can try others.

•••
Then you will need a .com at least to improve seo ranking

•••
The extension makes all the difference regarding the domain's value. Always look at the extension as a keyword (unless it's .com, .net, .org or cctld).

•••
The value of the domain can depend on its extension.

Plant.com will be valued more compared to Plant.net

•••
I agree that in the current market the extension is an important aspect for resale and that most users will default to .com as the primary type in extension. But after listening to the domain sherpa interview of the owner of Vacation.Rentals , and Amazon's recent use of Amazon.care for their employee health site. These uses of alternate extensions did pique my curiosity as to the importance of keywords versus extension. As an experiment, I bought Joker/Reviews Sept 29th to see what would happen with the movie release and there has been a few hundred unique visits to the dan sales page. Please note, I am not well informed on SEO, development etc. I am not sure how I am being found except by the URL. In relation to the OP question, it seems that the extension does matter for resale and investing as well as type-in traffic. But I am not sure the future is as clear for .com as some believe.

•••
Great question!

1) If it's a tld, NO IT DOES NOT MATTER, because:

a) Search engines no longer discriminate. They're focused on what's BEFORE the dot, not after.
We have more than a few one-word .com's, and will tell you that we've made more selling our .work domains than our .com's.

b) While all the good .com's are already registered, try to recognize that the internet is still VERY much in its childhood, not even adolescence. You ought to go look up how many people get on the internet for the first time each year: It's not about to go down.

As more people come on the internet, many want an identity. So, any one-word TLD that YOU find worthwhile is more likely than not to excite many others, too.... those who have interests similar to yours

2) Among the top factors in performance of any human endeavor is a dedicated rejection of people who explain why it can't be done.... w/ our greatest attention given to those who outperform us. We find them to be the best teachers, NOT the Monday-morning quarterbacks filled with joy at their own opinions... however well- or ill-informed, hm?

3) Trust your instincts, because they prove right more often than wrong.

PS: Wise of you to seek opinions of others. Now, simpy weed out those who don't fit Henry Ford's comment, already cited this morning, lol:

"Those who say it can't be done should stop interrupting those who are doing it."

Best of l.u.c.k. to you (Laboring Under Correct Knowledge)

Last edited:
•••
The value of the domain can depend on its extension.

Plant.com will be valued more compared to Plant.net

What if plant.com goes to a stupid advertising page? If plant.net is developed, and it's developed correctly, and, best of all, has quality backlinks for other sites, then, not so sure that the .com is automatically worth more. Would you agree? Curious to know the opinions of others on this.

•••
Back