IT.COM

discuss Does the domain register matter in your choice to bid/buy a domain name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I am curious if a domain is at a register you might not like, if it means you will not buy the domain. Some registers that some people claim to hate are (dotster, and fasthost) however, hated registers may vary. Question is if a domain is at a register you don't like will you not buy it?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Hah, I hate 1 &1.. they got me with their $.99 .com's.. I'm just waiting the 60 days and those domains are transferred! I feel like they are a hosting company that registers domains rather than a real domain registrar. Their customer support has been no help any time I've needed them.

•••
It could make the difference between buying it or not.

I don't like registrars who charge money to the person who is transferring out. So, if I buy a domain that I can get 'pushed' to me even though that part is free (and so it should be), then I want to sell at a later date and I have to pay fro the privilege, that would probably stop me buying it.

Just a principle thing I'm afraid. Though of course the price for the domain could influence matters.

•••
If a name can be transferred to my preferred registrar , then am in

•••
let's be clear: if a name is with hostname/dotster/fasthosts/etc it's a recent handreg, no exceptions.

handregs rarely sell in their first year.
so if you are a long term holder targeting end-users you will have to transfer away to a normal registrar in a year or less.
which is time consuming and can be PITA as we all know.

at the same time there is no shortage in handregs for sale residing at good registrars where fast & free push is all you need to do to get a name into your acc, no hassle, no problems, no risks..

..and the quality of a handreg does not depend on a registrar. obviously.

difference in prices - yes, dotster & co names are usually cheaper to buy because they regged with promo codes so for a registrant they cost $5-8 less than GD/Namesilo/etc:
if as a buyer you pay $10-20 for a handreg name at GD, the same at Dotster would cost you $5-10
you save $5-10...

but for long term investors if you hold a name for 5-10 years your total cost of ownership for hadregs consists primarily of renewals: 5-10 years x $9 = $45-90

so $5-10 you are saving on Dotster & co names don't really matter much
especially when your Sedo/Afternic BINs are $1,000-10,000
( if they are lower your investment model is questionable, at best )

that's why i won't even bother looking through lists if i see something like nettigritty etc as a registrar...
i would buy $20 name at GD instead
and i'm sure that many buyers here feel & act just the same...

imho

•••
Like @Grego85 , I just discovered that NetworkSolutions charges $12.99 per year, to allow one to do a simple domain re-direct!! I just won a few names at Snapnames, and those names (like a lot of older ones) were registered at NetSol. Not saying it's deal breaker for me, but I'd look very hard at the pros of any names registered at NetSol before buying. My preferred registrar is GoDaddy, easy to receive pushed names, and no cost to set up a re-direct!!

•••
With domain transfers being so easy, it's never affected whether I obtained a domain. It's more about the domain than the registrar.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back