IT.COM

poll Does reputation matter in domain investing?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Does reputation matter in domain investing?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes it helps a lot

votes
    61.5%
  • It helps sometimes

votes
    30.8%
  • No it doesn't help much

votes
    7.7%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
How do you see this?
For whatever you reply, please share your reason why you think it matters or doesn't matter?

Personally, I think it doesn't matter a lot. Occasionally, you may find a couple of cheaper domains to acquire but on the end-user sale side, it might not matter much. For example, a person who may have respect in the domaining community may still end up selling their domain name to an end-user for $100,000 (depends on the name but nothing is stopping him). That doesn't mean we don't maintain a good reputation but that the two may be disconnected.

What's your thought?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Your reputation does matter and you should care about how you conduct yourself in everything you do. Having a crappy reputation but being successful isn't a justification for saying your reputation doesn't matter.

•••
Yes it does matter, look at Godaddy the biggest beast of domain names, they can sell any crap for high value.
This is because they run Formula one adds on TV with a female, which I suspect is a trans. :D

•••
Yes, it does matter. If you deal with someone who isn't considered ethical, a scumbag or criminal, that can somewhat taint your reputation, and have an unforeseen effect. A clean, undisputed reputation matters (a lot), especially if you're doing this for any reasonable length of time, regardless of domain quality

Last edited:
•••
If you have a domain listed on a venue like GoDaddy, and a buyer makes an offer there not so much as there is no real communication between parties.

It matters though, especially when trying to close direct sales outside major venues.

It just matters in general in business to not have a shitty reputation, for many reasons. This is especially true with an internet based business.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
:xf.rolleyes: The fact that this even has to be asked! SMH!

•••
Reputation can take years to build and a day to destroy. So yes, it does matter. Because it always follows you. If you're talking about does (social) status matter in chances of a sale, I think it plays a part in discovery and even what the domain can sell for regardless of quality.

Last edited:
•••
Would you buy a domain here from a seller who has a low trader feedback score?

There is your answer to if reputation matters.

With someone I have worked with in the past, you can skip the games most of the time and get to the point.

•••
I think if I have a very special domain then I bet anyone will not care about reputation, they want the domain not my reputation.
Although reputation may help to sell faster and more expensive because of established trust.

Last edited:
•••
I think if I have a very special domain then I bet anyone will not care about reputation, they want the domain not my reputation.
Although reputation may help to sell faster and more expensive because of established trust.
If you have a "VERY" special domain, for sure, I would want it, but I would still care about the reputation.

As a buyer would I make you jump through more hoops? For sure. On contracts, escrow, terms, etc.
Would I negotiate even harder? YES. Would I probably be a bit more of a douche? LOL.... probably.

And MOST importantly... would I recommend ANYONE in my circle of friends/contacts to work with you to either sell to you OR use you as a broker? HELL NO.

=)

•••
Reputation matters very much. I wouldn't buy a domain name from anyone who was anonymous, or I had done due diligence on and had a questionable reputation. There's way too many rogues out there on the interweb and it's easy to get scammed.

However, as we all know, it's how desirable the domain name they have to sell that counts.

•••
:xf.rolleyes: The fact that this even has to be asked! SMH!
Yes very true seems to be the same person creating these pointless threads...

•••
Connections are more important than reputation but hard to gain connections without one

•••
If you have a "VERY" special domain, for sure, I would want it, but I would still care about the reputation.

As a buyer would I make you jump through more hoops? For sure. On contracts, escrow, terms, etc.
Would I negotiate even harder? YES. Would I probably be a bit more of a douche? LOL.... probably.

And MOST importantly... would I recommend ANYONE in my circle of friends/contacts to work with you to either sell to you OR use you as a broker? HELL NO.

=)
Until you will think of my reputation or dig me up, I will make money out of that domain by parking or developing it.
I even may put some stupid info on it to just mock you or others interested in it.
Then if you will decide that my reputation is not important, I will ask you to do a shameful act publicly e.g. a selfie at the butt of a donkey and publish it on social media, only then I will accept your money to buy my one unique domain. Hehehe.

Yes I m serious, I have such domains that people will accept my conditions, in fact they will be forced to do that per my request.

Last edited:
•••
•••
only if it matters to the other party.

so yes and no.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back