IT.COM

question Does anyone here sell domains directly via Paypal on their own site?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Do sellers not sell directly via Paypal because of seller protection issues?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Everyone's different, some do. Due to chargebacks I wouldn't do a deal through PayPal, unless you're someone on my "happy list". IMO

•••
@jhm Very much true. PayPal is a nightmare to deal with. I remember I had it connected back in the past for my travel business and it was absolutely unreasonable chargebacks were popping up every few days, and for perfectly conducted services. Some guy having 250 transactions per month, cancels the transaction for the tour taken 2 month ago just because he forgot about it... PayPal refunds his money first and only then starts to investigate... Needless to say, I stopped working with PayPal soon after. Apart, back in the time (9 years ago) the transaction fees were absolutely ridiculous.

•••
Everyone's different, some do. Due to chargebacks I wouldn't do a deal through PayPal, unless you're someone on my "happy list". IMO
This is what confuses me personally about Paypal. Most domain selling platforms from what I can see except Paypal payments. How are they able to avoid the drama?
Hell, even on Ebay domains are bought and sold everyday.

•••
This is what confuses me personally about Paypal. Most domain selling platforms from what I can see except Paypal payments. How are they able to avoid the drama?
Hell, even on Ebay domains are bought and sold everyday.
Each platform has their own risk tolerance. Once the money is secured, the domain goes out. If any drama takes place with some chargeback scam, its not going to end well for that person (blacklisted etc)

Last edited:
•••
stupid idea with chargebacks and all

use dan add lead 5percent

same fee as pp

•••
stupid idea with chargebacks and all

use dan add lead 5percent

same fee as pp
I dont doubt sellers may have had issues with chargebacks. Again, i'm trying to understand the logic of how it is that Paypal is still accepted on platforms that sell domains? Why accept Paypal at all then anywhere if Paypal's policies are really an issue?
This makes no sense.

According to Paypal, their policy regarding the sale of web domains is if you can prove the transaction was successfully made, that is , payment was received and ownership of the said domain transferred, chargebacks will not be successful. I spoke with Paypal's business department directly by phone this morning.

I'm not contesting anything, just trying to understand the logic and why it is some seem to not have any issues.

•••
Been doing it for as long as I can remember. Keep a good record of invoices, communication, transfer acknowledgement and so on.

Never lost a chargeback.

Edit:
most of all, PP is not above the law. When SHTF I'm perfectly willing and able to take legal actions where necessary.

Last edited:
•••
@jhm Very much true. PayPal is a nightmare to deal with. I remember I had it connected back in the past for my travel business and it was absolutely unreasonable chargebacks were popping up every few days, and for perfectly conducted services. Some guy having 250 transactions per month, cancels the transaction for the tour taken 2 month ago just because he forgot about it... PayPal refunds his money first and only then starts to investigate... Needless to say, I stopped working with PayPal soon after. Apart, back in the time (9 years ago) the transaction fe
Been doing it for as long as I can remember. Keep a good record of invoices, communication, transfer acknowledgement and so on.

Never lost a chargeback.

Edit:
most of all, PP is not above the law. When SHTF I'm perfectly willing and able to take legal actions where necessary.
Precisely. I've been selling on Paypal since 1999 and every single dispute either against me or i've filed I have won due to immaculate records of all transactions.
Appreciate your feedback.
Thanks

•••
Paypal.sucks because can suspend your account based on your nationality. That's what happened with russian accounts. Million users was banned. Million businesses was closed.

You can use crypto as an alternative.

Last edited:
•••
I would not deal with Pay Pal over XXX at this point. Only an amount you are ok to lose. No matter what they said on the phone plenty of scammers have won and gotten names for free.

How does one prove a domain went into that exact person’s account if they tell PP it didn’t? Its a slippery slope and also they can shut your account down in the blink of an eye if they view your incoming payments as suspicious.

They are not pro domains nor do they have a good system in place for digital asset sales and disputes.

Platforms offer it as payment generally not so much as payout due to the fees they incur.

•••
Paypal.sucks because can suspend your account based on your national

I would not deal with Pay Pal over XXX at this point. Only an amount you are ok to lose. No matter what they said on the phone plenty of scammers have won and gotten names for free.

How does one prove a domain went into that exact person’s account if they tell PP it didn’t? Its a slippery slope and also they can shut your account down in the blink of an eye if they view your incoming payments as suspicious.

They are not pro domains nor do they have a good system in place for digital asset sales and disputes.

Platforms offer it as payment generally not so much as payout due to the fees they incur.
Obviously the buyer will have to have an account at the registrar where the domain is.

You take screen shots of the transfers on your end and you get receipts from the registrar. Whats so hard about that?

We'll see. I'm gonna try it with a few smaller domains I have.

•••
I dont doubt sellers may have had issues with chargebacks. Again, i'm trying to understand the logic of how it is that Paypal is still accepted on platforms that sell domains? Why accept Paypal at all then anywhere if Paypal's policies are really an issue?
This makes no sense.

According to Paypal, their policy regarding the sale of web domains is if you can prove the transaction was successfully made, that is , payment was received and ownership of the said domain transferred, chargebacks will not be successful. I spoke with Paypal's business department directly by phone this morning.

I'm not contesting anything, just trying to understand the logic and why it is some seem to not have any issues.

because some people are dumb. that's why it's still accepted.

•••
Years ago I took 10k with PayPal but it was from a buyer I trusted. Wouldn't suggest using PayPal unless you know the buyer as you have a good handful of escrow services available today.

•••
This makes no sense.
Why wouldn't they be accepted? They are legit. And people use them because PayPal has been around forever. However, as mentioned numerous times here - using them will increase your chances of not being paid or to run into legal disputes, no matter what they say and claim.
Decision is yours but you've been warned.

Good luck!

•••
I've used PayPal for domain dealings mainly when I'm on the buy side because I know I won't chargeback. So far I've paid in 6 figures in total via PayPal for domain purchases and never had any issues.

Last edited:
•••
I've used PayPal for domain dealings mainly when I'm on the buy side because I know I won't chargeback. So far I've paid in 6 figures in total via PayPal for domain purchases and never had any issues.

u mean here on np where people know u or how else do u manage to convince strangers u never dealt with that u won't chargeback?

•••
I have used PayPal from time to time to sell domains, but it is certainly not my first choice.

I would only accept payments from people I know or for an amount I am willing to potentially lose.

Brad

•••
u mean here on np where people know u or how else do u manage to convince strangers u never dealt with that u won't chargeback?

I've bought domains from NamePros members, domainers, domain owners (endusers) who've transferred domains to be first (may be surprising for some of the readers) all mainly due to the online long time presence (my blog).

•••
You can look in PP terms of service they did some updates to protect better intangible goods.
I think you can even prevent chargeback if you provide enough proof of domain sale, you even can ask the buyer his selfie with ID in hand before you sell to him the domain, using this photo you can prevent chargebacks if he say that he did not do the payment or by accident, I had such case but not with domain sales but other digital goods, he lost the case, lazy grabber that he was. :D

Last edited:
•••
Paypal can steal your money. First disable your account for no reason (I mean, with no new input). And offer methods for withdrawing funds, which all would either not exist or not work. And they just ignore all messages. And if they decided to steal your money, they can wait until your balance is high enough first. It is like great depression, you may have money on your bank account, but so what, you cant use it. you can use it after devaluation only, maybe.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back