Dynadot

domains Do you think Trustpilot on a landing page affects your domain sales?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact
Something that I have to say I never gave any thought too has been Trustpilot. But I have noticed in a few threads at Namepros some think this hurts sales when it’s on the lander. : As long as there is no trust […]
Continue Reading

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
As an enduser, I do not trust trustpilot, and normally would not make decisions based on their reviews. Some reviews are fake. Others are from customers who barely know what they are/were doing (in case of domain registrars, for example, not renewing a domain and complaining on trustpilot that it was deleted). Common setup of adblock / ublock origin actually _blocks_ trustpilot links, and it is fine. Not a config mistype.

So, the buyers who think the same would not bother if there is trustpilot or not.

What if the buyer trusts that pilot? How many buyers do trust them? Who knows... In any case, no business can have 100% rating, and it includes well-known brands like Sedo. To be on a safe side, I'd therefore prefer not to have trustpilot on my forsale landers.

Empty space? Not a big deal. Add some logos. Sedo is also an ICANN accredited registrar - yes they are(!) - why not to add Icann logo on Sedo forsale pages. Or anything else - green energy, satisfaction guaranteed logo, etc... sky is the limit

Last edited:
•••
Here is a sample of trust pilot on dan

https://dan.com/buy-domain/BagelBistro.com?redirected=true

The user sees 4.7

A lot of people will not touch anything in life that is not a 5 star or 4.9 minimum, they won't go to restaurants or hotels or anything with a 4.7 and guess who many of these people are? People with money.

It gets even worse, I had many transactions with dan both as a buyer and seller, the experience is amazing. So you go to trustpilot and try to see who left the most recent one star, what did dan do to them?

Here is the one star idiot

"I engaged GoDaddy, Dan.com’s parent company to backorder an expired domain. Godaddy did not get the domain back for me, even though they charged me, and now are trying to sell the domain to me for $5,000."

here is the second one star fool

"They hope & prey you forget to renew your domain name, they then buy the domain (for around £20) and attempt to re sell to you for £1000

This is 100% true. My customer has lost a domain as they did not have on auto renew and no notifications.

Now they have had to close their business."

and the third psychopath

"They are like villains
They are like villains. Bad guys. Their work is buy domiains whith great value for resell you. I was monitoring the liberation of one domain in namecheap.com, but they buy before liberation date and want to buy that domain much more expensive that the namecheap price. The namecheap price is like U$15.00 but they want to sell at U$1,000.00. Bad guys."

I do not see how that 4.7 rating on the top of the page helps at all. What could help is replacing it with a phone number to the afternic team.

I hate to beg but the least they could do is try it for a week, what's the big deal.

•••
@AEProgram Would most buyers see it as negative even if it's say a 4.5+ rating? Personally, I think it is a good enough score but do you think it makes a noticeable difference to most buyers? Also do you know if Dan plans to remove the rating or did they give any reasoning why they are keeping it?
They didn't say anything.

When big corporations are curious if adding or removing something will matter, they do not debate it, they test. If it helps, great, if it hurts, put it back, if it doesn't matter, they will know too. I say remove and replace with the afternic number.

Ratings that are not a 5 should not be displayed. Most people ending up on a dan page are already surprised that the name they want is more than 10 bucks, add that 4.7 rating and you gave them that extra excuse to go look for another name.

Again, no debating, try removing, I could be wrong or right, I am guessing, but you must try.

•••
I've always believed that less is more.
When you're in the business of sales, anything that could potentially deter a buyer should be concerning.
(Especially TrustPilot ratings.)

•••
•••
For info, Sedo's home page shows a Trustpilot rating of 4.0. It used to not be there - not long ago it was a stunning 1, yes 1 - they were ignoring it and only unhappy "customers" left reviews. Some of those bad reviews did have valid criticisms. Now Sedo does what most businesses do - respond to the reviews, try to get fake or unjustified ones removed, and probably tilt the system by encouraging reviews from customers who are thought to be very satisfied. Sedo continues to sell a lot of domains.

I agree, the only way to tell on Dan.com is by running tests. But a fundamental issue is the reviews rate the platform, not the domains or the sellers, and a lot of buyers, especially failed ones, just do not understand that Dan or Sedo are middlemen, not domain owners.

•••
•••
I've always believed that less is more.
When you're in the business of sales, anything that could potentially deter a buyer should be concerning.
(Especially TrustPilot ratings.)
I will simply say that a few months ago I had a negative review that had nothing to do with my product, it was about TP pushing automatically the buyer review to the buyer, and TP considers it a valid review.

•••
@AEProgram Would most buyers see it as negative even if it's say a 4.5+ rating? Personally, I think it is a good enough score but do you think it makes a noticeable difference to most buyers? Also do you know if Dan plans to remove the rating or did they give any reasoning why they are keeping it?

•••
@AEProgram I agree it could be worth trying. I'm doubtful removing it altogether is beneficial but you mentioned adding a phone number there instead. I may be wrong but I always thought a phone number on a lander would only help when they are very motivated buyers and I assume the majority of buyers aren't motivated enough to call up. Do you think that's a sound assumption?

•••
Back