IT.COM

discuss Do you see new gTLDs being used?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

nomen

Top Member
Impact
Yes, there are similar threads on NP about the question in hand but based on your browsing habits, what you see in the wild (inthewild.domains) and everything in between, what is your overall view on this?

Here's mine: I see them every day, all day, everywhere online (SERPs, (tech) blogs, press releases and what have you.) I really do. Especially in SERPs. Literally every time (ok, most of the time) I search for something, a site on a new gTLD pops up, if not on the first page, then on the second.

And what I read every day here on NP is that nobody uses them, nobody knows about them. This simply isn't my experience.

As I'm from Europe (Finland to be exact), I'm starting to think that maybe Google for some reason or another shows them more in queries originating from outside the US.

What do you think?

P.s. Not a big fan of new G's (own a hundred or so as speculative fun) but I do pay a lot of attention to them and to their adoption by the public.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Living in Germany, I have seen more and more showing up on cars, trucks and some poster/billboard advertising.

•••
In Ukraine I don't see them offline or on TV...

•••
Strangely...
Doing domaining more than 8 years and never received any offers from Suomi...

•••
Strangely...
Doing domaining more than 8 years and never received any offers from Suomi...

Yes, not an easy market although a lot of business people tend to understand the value of a good domain. But .FI is preferred always. And because there are not that many of us, there's still a lot of (Finnish) names available both in .COM and in .FI. And even more brandable English dict names in .FI. Sold a few myself but not really paying attention to Finnish domain market at the moment (my last outbound marketing blast resulted in nothing.)

•••
On yourdomain.online you can see a nice collection of some .online domains with a developed website. They are categorized by country. It seems the .online domain is catching on in Europe.

•••
As a frequent reader of anything tech/startup the new g's show up frequently, nothing rare about it. In the SERP, private or not all sorts of extensions shows up. Including odd ccTLD's.

No point in listening to biased individuals be it haters or lovers of the new g's. They don't have the power to decide the outcome of domain names usability regardless of how many hours they spend hating/loving them on forums. Domain names are not family, friends or enemies, its just goods.

New g's are a high risk market and few succeed with them at this time when the supply are bigger than the demand. But you can make money on them too obviously if you know what you are doing (most don't).

•••
Yes, they have some popularity for regfee...
But nTLD-aftermarket is very very weak...

•••
There are many new gTLDs which are developed and used by people. You can search google like 'site:.xyz' to find all .xyz websites. Similarly site:.io, site:.{any other extension} etc.

P.S. I also developed one for my own portfolio https://www.metalogics.xyz and I don't see any difference from .com when it comes to Gooogle search and ranking.

•••
.io is ccTLD (as all other 2L-TLDs) and irrelevant for this thread.

•••
•••
Regarding SERP...
Recently (NEW) indexed websites are usually ranked higher by Google... will be downgraded after some timeframe...

•••
Last edited:
•••
I see them more and more in the SERPs. Not that surprising.

•••
What you see more and more?
Doorways???

•••
Frankly I don't see a lot. But I pay attention to URLs. Most of the time I see them in print in magazines.
I've noticed some geoTLDs are used by official websites. For instance .paris has a number of 'trophy' end users like Tower Eiffel but I have analyzed the zone and I have seen a large number of redirects... many new extensions are not being actively used as stand-alone websites.

I live in Europe and the landscape is dominated by the local extensions and .com. Not using the local extension can even be considered challenging.

It doesn't surprise me, because I never visit .biz sites either, yet there are 2M registered. For sure, there are enough developed sites. You can stumble on a .biz site on the occasion, but will you visit it everyday ?

I think that seeing the TLDs in the serps is not enough, they must be advertised so that people start to notice them. First they have to know they exist. Then they have to notice them. Only then will they start to embrace them. Maybe.

The worst is that many domains are printed without www., so I'm sure that a lot of people don't even realize they are genuine URLs. They think it is a slogan like on the old Sony logo:
220px-Sony_make.believe_logo_%28Other%29.svg.png

•••
New extensions when I search...

•••
Did you visit them or just see?
I have asked about normal websites... Doorways are displayed in SERP in the same way... no any difference.

•••
The whole discussion is weird. There are so MANY new extensions and some are more used than others. I think it's pointless to compare .CLUB with .GUITARS, just as it's pointless to compare .COM with .TRAVEL.

•••
Did you visit them or just see?
I have asked about normal websites... Doorways are displayed in SERP in the same way... no any difference.

I see more and more websites using new gTLDs, yes. I probably do a hundred searches, or more, a normal day. Probably as many other members here.

Still, I agree with vivaldi, from a domainers' perspective, it's still risky business.

•••
2 years elapsed already...
And I don't feel any significant changes on nTLD-aftermarket...

•••
2 years elapsed already...
And I don't feel any significant changes on nTLD-aftermarket...

I make a living from them. I don't get rich, but I make a living.

•••
Last edited:
•••
The Times They Are a-Changin'

gTLDs just got a "MAYBE" from Kate !
First they have to know they exist. Then they have to notice them. Only then will they start to embrace them. Maybe.

•••
There are a few new gTLDs that are perfectly appropriate for some niche hobby & businesses that I tend to follow.

To date I have not seen any of the highly appropriate new gTLDs used by any major or secondary advertisers in the mainstream of the niche hobby or businesses nor any used as email addresses.

While I am aware that a major conglomerate has acquired several new gTLDs and has online sites on them, nevertheless their traditional " .com " sites are used in major TV and other mass media ads and online too .

Overall I personally continue to use my .com names for online website / email matters although also use several new gTLDs as redirects to a few of our websites.

•••
Back