Dynadot

domains Do you like The Domain Kings Analogy?

NameSilo
Watch

Robbie

RobbiesBlog.comTop Member
Impact
Love him or hate him, Rick Schwartz aka The Domain King shares some great knowledge to those that want to listen and one of Rick’s most recent tweets is the analogy between domain names and lemonade stands, and your probably thinking what the hell has lemonade got to do with domains but as describes in the tweet which you can check out on Robbie's Blog and see if you agree with his thoughts or not?

https://robbiesblog.com/do-you-like-the-domain-kings-analogy/11708

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I respect what Rick as achieved, but I personally don’t take much notice or spend too much time reading what he has to say. There are a handful of people involved in domains, I try and watch and listen to when they speak (Andrew Rosener for one). But I never feel as though I ever learn anything new from Rick.

I mean has anyone learned anything from that tweet? He’s saying a quality domain ‘can’ sell for a life changing amount of money, most people know that, even people not involved in domains :-/

Last edited:
•••
He has used the lemonade stand reference in past also.

•••
When a person succeeds, he is right in everything he says,
When a person fails, everything he says is wrong,
Make money, guys

•••
I think he makes a lot of sense. I like his blunt way of communicating. It is not unreasonable to make $10-15 per year per domain to cover the renewals. It basically depends on 2 factors, the quality of the domain and how you monetize it. And you don't have to do it per domain. It's the annual total divided by all domains.

Last edited:
•••
This
When a person succeeds, he is right in everything he says,
When a person fails, everything he says is wrong,
Make money, guys

I think he should more concentrate on his great blog instead of twitting.

•••
..we missed him for about 10+ years?, glad he's back representing!

Last edited:
•••
We cannot ignore the fact that he makes sales in $$$$$$

•••
It's a really stupid analogy. He says a domain is like a lemonade stand that can grow into a skyscraper. First off, lemonade stands don't actually do that. Lemonade stands also are technically not legal, so they can't grow much before they get shut down for operating without a license or tax evasion. Also, to grow a business like a lemonade stand requires you to "build" the business, but unless you're actually building a business with your domain there's not much you can do to increase its value as a name. You buy the item, put it up for sale, and wait, and the name doesn't change at all while you're waiting for the sale. Also you don't sell lemonade stands.

A name is like a collectible. You are speculating that it already has existing value or will become valuable, and that the right person will come along to buy it.

Having made a ton of money doesn't make you worth listening to, that's what I've learned from Rick Schwartz. He keeps posting dumb shit and people repost it, and the average response is always, "that guy sure has made a lot of money".

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back