Dynadot
NameSilo
Watch

Do you ever feel bad about being a domain squatter?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes - domain squatting is wrong

votes
    5.1%
  • A little bit

votes
    12.7%
  • Meh, not really

votes
    6.3%
  • No - I'm an investor not a squatter

votes
    75.9%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

So I've been searching for a domain for myself (not for resell) a nice 3-letter acronym that is also be a surname.

I found around 50-ish names regged:
32 new TLDs - most aren't even resolving.
Main TLDs - .com is redirecting the rest is parked or "for sale"
ccTLDs - 10+ registered

Guess how many websites are there....
4 (cctlds)
Almost 50 domains registered and most of them is just sitting there, unused...

No wonder the rest of the world hates us. :'(

Don't get me wrong - I know I am a hypocrite. Just the other day I used a few GD coupons to catch some domains for resale.
Still - I'm guessing 99% of 2-3 letter names and probably 90%+ of other domains is just parked/for sale.
I hate seeing names I like wasted like that...

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The problem is that domainers don't abide by market forces. A buyer may be asked to not only beat all other bidders (which would ordinarily be sufficient), but to do so by a wide margin.

Yes, but then you have to compete against pricing for other domains from other sellers.

Domain sellers have a very rare ability to get away with this sort of thing. If buyer has already named his company, or settled on the name he likes best after many hours of deliberations, the value to him of the name may be far above market value.

I suppose it's possible that people out there are naming their businesses without first checking if the corresponding domains are taken, but I personally haven't encountered that. Typically people contact me to inquire about a price and if they're not interested, they disappear without even making a counteroffer. That doesn't sound like desperation to me. In fact, I've never yet come across a single buyer that's communicated to me that they'd felt like they'd been taken advantage of or forced into doing something they didn't want to do. Basically, people just mostly express gratitude when they've made their purchase just like they would in any other business. I even have some ask me to find more domains for them. I had one customer in particular that bought about 40 domains over the course of a year and each time I'd find him one he would tell me how glad he was that I was out there finding domains for him that he wouldn't otherwise have managed to get on his own.

It really surprises me to hear how some of you have such a negative view of the work you do. Makes me wonder why you do what you do.

•••
I do!
I have to visit shrink every other day. Thats how bad it is at times.

I used to visit a shrink, but got kicked out after I refused her $20 offer for therapyfordomainers.com. I think her last words to me were, "...and don't come back, squatter!"

•••
I have only one question...

Are you mad at Warren Buffett for owning multiple houses when there are homeless people in this world?

•••
I have only one question...

Are you mad at Warren Buffett for owning multiple houses when there are homeless people in this world?

I think that the 99% views the 1% with admiration and love and respect, don't you.

Occupy is about sharing that love as a community. <smh>

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back