IT.COM

question Do you buy all the variants of a domain?

NameSilo
Watch

Denismth

Established Member
Impact
I just bought 3 domains

pastaalforno.xyz
pasralforno.xyz
pastaforno.xyz

Sometimes I also add plural forms (not here)

I bought all the three to increase the chances of meeting the desire of buyers. So I may not lose a customer. I bought several domains like this. What is your experience on this? Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, I personally don't like this tactic, but pairing similar domains sounds better and I do it when I can. For example:
brunch.tv
dessert.tv
fudge.tv

The only case that I own 2 different variants (the normal form and one extra) is:
Boutique.tv
Butik.tv

All in all, getting all the variants doesn't guarantee anything if your names have low quality.

Last edited:
•••
I have some variants, not a huge amount, but only on good quality dot coms. To protect the better names. Variants via extension and variants via very close to to the name in question but not intentional typos.

You have to pay renewals on those variants and it could be super costly so I only do it for names I expect to sell for an above average amount. Lower quality or lower priced no need for it.

•••
Actually having so many variants of that domain available is a signal that there's not much demand...

Edit: expecially for "old" niches.

Last edited:
•••
I don't like this "vertical" approach. Having the main name and 1-2 variants (if the name is very good) seems ok. But having many similar variants, no. It's my opinion of course, maybe for some it is a winning strategy.

•••
I just bought 3 domains

pastaalforno.xyz
pasralforno.xyz
pastaforno.xyz

Sometimes I also add plural forms (not here)

I bought all the three to increase the chances of meeting the desire of buyers. So I may not lose a customer. I bought several domains like this. What is your experience on this? Thanks.
hello, i just want to give you my thoughts on this... but please dont feel im trying to poke fun at you personally, just trying to help people since losing strategies only help registrars, they dont keep money cycling through the aftermarket....

Let me ask you first of all pasta alformo . xyz...

that by itself will never sell

why the other ones.

i dont even think they would sell in .com. The only reason these types of strategies are ever useful to anyone other then the registration company is... if you are a MASSIVE brand that loses physical sales to competitors...

maybe i dont know what a pasral forno is ... but im just very curious why any of these domains are important let alone in the xyz extension.

domains are valuable only if the words they represent are useful to a business thats going to buy it.

if the name is pasralforno .xyz -> what does that mean. why not just register every 11 character combo possible in xyz.. except the fact that xyz is the same as .kiwi is the same as .zebra is the same as .muscrat so if someone was going to pay for a domain name in xyz.. they would just save the money and register it in another obscure extension, bypassing your markup and leaving you with a domain that expires in a year.

so IF and only if the name is a 1 word ... then maybe register it in other extensions... but those names by themselves are not worth anything and will never be typed into a search bar by anyone other then you , let alone on xyz. and let alone all 3

again not trying to make you feel bad, but if you want to make money... registering names just because theres a 99 cent coupon for a random extension, but you already spent 2 hours and ran out of ideas so you just started typing crazy sounding things in there, thats not saving you any money in the long run compared to spending like 25 / 50 dollars on a few GOOD names and putting some effort into trying to sell those instead of a palstasrolno.xyz

Last edited:
•••
By the way Pasta al forno is one of my favorite foods next to Lasagna. That's why I registered it.

But I got the point. Let's see where it will take me. Thanks.

•••
By the way Pasta al forno is one of my favorite foods next to Lasagna. That's why I registered it.

sorry im not trying to come across mean. sometimes i just get lost in my through and go overhand but my thought is its its not like you just registered 800 names... my point though is while somethings are cool little names ... the majority of those names wont sell... even good ones... i own nicotine.io and idk i dont really care that much about it... Im holding onto it for the long haul but ... I promise you if i actually sat down and tried to sell it right now i wouldnt be able to get much... Not trying to say that those names are worthless. im saying its going to be such a hard sell even with a great name. so Rule 1 stick to .coms because the other ones ... lose credibility . maybe you dont think so but your not the end user... =)

even if your saving yourself 5 dollars on registration... your cutting your potential Customers by maybe 95 - 98% ... There are ofcourse outliers here... but even so.... those exact names will more likely be xx times higher if they were the same name in .com

also you have to consider WHAT the physical word represents... and how that word fits into a business.... -> for something like Pasta.xyz thats gonna be acceptable imo but noone is going to build a business around pasta ao forno -> not only alforno. -> so again your customer base is limited to like a blog dedicated to that specific dish or something like that... like if you were the customer your not going to pay extra for something that isnt exactly what you want. it's hard to go super specific on the spectrum of keyword. say if i had a domain name ... electronicTelescopes.com.. normal telescope stores now nolonger care about buying my name... just like if i bought VHS-Rentals.com -> i cant just expect anetflix to buy it becuase VHS is specifically movies in that format

Last edited:
•••
Depends. If the other variants make sense, why not.

As variants go, I usually don't go beyond registering the plural as well as the .org of the name (as long as they both make sense).

Last edited:
•••
sorry im not trying to come across mean. sometimes i just get lost in my through and go overhand but my thought is its its not like you just registered 800 names... my point though is while somethings are cool little names ... the majority of those names wont sell... even good ones... i own nicotine.io and idk i dont really care that much about it... Im holding onto it for the long haul but ... I promise you if i actually sat down and tried to sell it right now i wouldnt be able to get much... Not trying to say that those names are worthless. im saying its going to be such a hard sell even with a great name. so Rule 1 stick to .coms because the other ones ... lose credibility . maybe you dont think so but your not the end user... =)

even if your saving yourself 5 dollars on registration... your cutting your potential Customers by maybe 95 - 98% ... There are ofcourse outliers here... but even so.... those exact names will more likely be xx times higher if they were the same name in .com

also you have to consider WHAT the physical word represents... and how that word fits into a business.... -> for something like Pasta.xyz thats gonna be acceptable imo but noone is going to build a business around pasta ao forno -> not only alforno. -> so again your customer base is limited to like a blog dedicated to that specific dish or something like that... like if you were the customer your not going to pay extra for something that isnt exactly what you want. it's hard to go super specific on the spectrum of keyword. say if i had a domain name ... electronicTelescopes.com.. normal telescope stores now nolonger care about buying my name... just like if i bought VHS-Rentals.com -> i cant just expect anetflix to buy it becuase VHS is specifically movies in that format

One last thing i dont want to get lose is why im posting again instead of editing...

you should lookup longtale strategy... its probably my favorite business theory.. For instance your registering all around a single word... thats putting all your eggs in one basket.. now if you happen to sell one.......... you still have 2 left over that you will be having to try to sell to the same people that just turned you down.

Instead of going Vertical maybe try diversifying Horizontally....

So instead of one group... on one specific word you have One specific word in a bunch of different categories

so maybe Lasagna.xyz, pastaalforno.xyz, ziti.xyz, trofiealpesto.xyz

think of it like fishing with a net instead of a line.

now if someones in that industry your potentially ending the day with a sale...

then you expand by next time maybe going to a different area... tools... just every couple weeks or whatever your plan be you cover broad categories then over time your potential to be seen expands as theres more chance that someone is searching for that name

think of it like this... if you just put videos online about horseHairOils... you will probably be the TOP horsehair oil Youtuber... for the simple fact that theres not that much content -> so when someone DOES search for it... the people there get so much more exposure... -> now multiply this with MANY MANY MANY MANY names and you can see what i mean...

im not saying that you should make this your number one game plan now... but i think if your willing to buy a bunch of the same names maybe try considering the other forms of the same type of strategy

Last edited:
•••

A couple of years ago @twiki said to me in the appraisal section that I had to decide if I wanted to be a domainer or a collector and I'm glad to have received that feedback early in my journey even if at that time I was a little bit disappointed.

Follow your personal style, but always acquire names that encounter market tastes (that might be very different that yours).

I don't want to discourage you but simply help you avoiding errors that many people do when they start this beautiful game.

By the way I love pasta al forno too, expecially the one cooked by my dear grandma.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back