Dynadot

Do none-.com domains look sketch, hesitant to click?

NameSilo
Watch

The Rock

Impact
Hey guys, it is The Rock here,

I am opening an online gift shop to hand over to my kids one day. I had planned to have it as a 6 letter domain followed by .gift. E.g. Groopy.gift (not actual domain name) as opposed to GroopyGifts.com.

When I pitched the idea to my associates they said anything that does not end in .com looks sketch and is a risky click. Is this true? Would people be more hesitant to click a premium top level domain that does end in .com, even if it was a gift shop?

The Rock

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, look at it this way.
Even when you see a .com you're not sure who's behind it. They could be fraudulent, or they may be the real deal.
So a .com doesnt say sh*t. You look for other indicators, such as position in google, do they have a site with ssl, etc etc.

Too bad they dont have SSL certificates for pictures of The Rock.
Your profile looks like a .com but still its kinda fishy......
It would have been more trustworthy if you admitted you're a nGtld and be honest about it instead of trying to convince us you're a .com.........

•••
for US e-commerce .com is the only extension that makes sense.

•••

I am opening an online gift shop to hand over to my kids one day. I had planned to have it as a 6 letter domain followed by .gift. E.g. Groopy.gift (not actual domain name) as opposed to GroopyGifts.com.

When I pitched the idea to my associates they said anything that does not end in .com looks sketch and is a risky click. Is this true? Would people be more hesitant to click a premium top level domain that does end in .com, even if it was a gift shop?

The Rock
This is a fallacy, spread by 2 types of people: Those who don't understand there's a whole other world of non-coms and are scared to embrace it, and those who are trying to protect their .com investments.

Basically, if you've got a good match for your .gift, i.e. the two words make sense together and you can brand them as such, then go for it. Otherwise, go for the .com version.

Looking sketch and risky clicks are far more common in .com endings than every other extension ever created, combined.

Break a Leg!

•••
Anything that does not end in .com looks unprofessional.

There is a reason why companies are spending big money on .coms.

The fact remains that word of mouth converts better than digital marketing. How are you going to stay in the mind of people; short keyword .com domains.

You're welcome! (Moana)

Last edited:
•••
go with the .com Dwayne as the main address, if you want a shortener by splitting it with the same as an extension wouldn't hurt.

you want to make sure you get the .com first before someone else does

•••
And + I receive a few offers from endusers monthly... on .PRO
Up to $10K...

Should have taken those phantom offers Jurgens.

You want to drag yourself down the gTLD green mile go right ahead, but your advice is poor and I hope nobody follows you.

•••
No problems, I have not asked about followers... I don't need them.
And one more entry in my ignore list.

•••
Last edited:
•••
If you're serious about building a brand, I'd go with Groopy.com. Failing that, I'd look for an alternative 5L or longer .COM, but without adding the word "gifts"... well, unless it's Rocksgifts.com or Giftsrock.com, since you seem to have an affinity with "The Rock" :xf.wink:

Last edited:
•••
Big Russian brand REDMOND uses MULTIVARKA.PRO for many years... this is their official shop...
Just one sample of tons.

Last edited:
•••
I don't think this is a legit question/post, OP (pretending to be a celeb) has 1 post and has not responded to any comments,

•••
Big Russian brand REDMOND uses MULTIVARKA.PRO for many years... this is their official shop...
Just one sample of tons.

Russia is not USA. That is why I said the only good extension for US ecommerce is .com

•••
This is a fallacy, spread by 2 types of people: Those who don't understand there's a whole other world of non-coms and are scared to embrace it, and those who are trying to protect their .com investments.

Basically, if you've got a good match for your .gift, i.e. the two words make sense together and you can brand them as such, then go for it.

what percentage of people will recognize xy.gift as an URL? 50%, 70%, 40% 30%?

With .com it should be 98%

•••
I think I made my decision and will go for something like GroovyGift.com

While groovy.gift is shorter, it might invoke memories of .tk domains. This will involve ecommerce so I will choose .com.

Thank you for the advice.

DJ

•••
Good choice - worth looking at some of the stats of these new extensions. There is a very useful site ntldstats.com - which shows total .gift registrations are under 25k and plateauing. But currently showing 6645 upcoming deletes which is around 26.71% of the total registered. That's one of the highest 'upcoming deletes' figures I've noticed although a lot of these ngtlds have got a lot falling off now.

•••
I think I made my decision and will go for something like GroovyGift.com

While groovy.gift is shorter, it might invoke memories of .tk domains. This will involve ecommerce so I will choose .com.
Thank you for the advice.
DJ
Why not take both - groovygift.com and groovy.gift - redirecting one to the other, depending on your business strategy / mood (y)

•••
Good idea, I will do that.

•••
And humour us by making a selfie where you hold a piece of paper with my nickname written on it (Rainmaker). And use it as your profile pic, so we all know you're the real DJ........

•••
for US e-commerce .com is the only extension that makes sense.

I would say the rest of the world generally prefers the .com as well; in addition to the extension of the country they happen to be from.

•••
And humour us by making a selfie where you hold a piece of paper with my nickname written on it (Rainmaker). And use it as your profile pic, so we all know you're the real DJ........
That's pretty easy to fake... I was thinking of asking "Dwayne" to mention the helpful folks at NP, in passing, in his next ET interview :xf.cool:

•••
Russia is not USA. That is why I said the only good extension for US ecommerce is .com
As already said above - it was just one example of many worldwide endusers...

CUSTOM.PRO
was sold for 4K EUR in 2016 to the buyer from Detroit, and ecommerce there...

But I agree - in the USA dotcom is some kind of religion...

Last edited:
•••

The Rock

do your kids a favour

if you invent a name anyway
choose a .com
and you need no 2 word
wordgift.com
as you end up buying the
word.com when you become successful

I would just use 1 word like google.com

Last edited:
•••
always go for .com first

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back