discuss Discuss [fake] .xyz sales & domains

NameSilo
Watch

Andreas B.

Top Member
Impact
In all honesty:

Before I took a wide & deep look into .xyz sales, I just thought:
"Ok, there might be some fake .xyz sales (to boost the adoption & hype), but in generall ~80% of those sales should be legit..."

After I checked the TOP 100 .xyz sales (from namebio), one by one, and found out that

a) 50% of all domains aren't either developed or resolve

b) some of the other 50% forward to strange abandoned twitter accounts, that were active ~1 year ago (and have in total like 3 posts),
or have a simple static site with a logo,
or forward to completely different domains (in .com),

and that in total 5 domains still forward to their sales page (at dan), without nameserver change since the 'sale'
(one, sold more than a year ago),

I must say that this errupted my trust into many of the .xyz sales, that are being reported.

Additionally to that, I took a look at the quality of the names itself, and as we discussed in the 'Swetha - the truth may shock you' thread,
at least 6 domains are very niche-like names / or just mean nothing (like taiko or kylin), but still happened to get sold for $30-40k!

If someone tells me in all seriously that I have to take this for real, simply believe in its trustworthy, and not question it...
then I have to say that something is wrong with your attitude, not mine.

I am simply looking at the names, and asking myself:
a) what the heck does that mean?
b) would I (or any serious business man I know) pay $30 to $40 thousand for such a niche of a niche (of a niche) name??
in .xyz?

Of course not.

So, in all honesty:
There's something very strange here.

Niche keywords (or even words, that you cannot explain; that aren't even a niche) are being sold for HIGH 5 digit prices!

(in an alt. extension, not in .com)

This raises suspicion & questions.

Then again, 50% of the TOP 100 .xyz sales aren't developed / resolving.

Many more forward to 'questionable' social media handles or static logo pages / or to completely different websites.

And finally: No other domainer makes the same experience, as swetha.

I asked for someone, who may show a niche domain sale (in xyz) for a high 5 digit price.

Well, there is none up to this date, by my knowledge.

Other domainers may sell .xyz domains, but the prices are so far off from what swetha sometimes posts, that the difference is more than noticeable.

And if you then take a look at the domains, they are at least dictionary words / typ. web3 keywords.

So, that all makes not that much sense, to put it politely.

If you stumble upon another very strange / very rare .xyz sale, you might post it here.

And if there is another .xyz domain, which was sold for high 5 digit prices, but does neither resolve or is developed, also.

I know, that after all discussions and all the evidence swetha has shown (look into my account, I really sold this or that domain),
swetha's sales have gained popularity.

BUT:
a) it is not just about swetha
b) if about swetha:
do you know with how many people she might work together?!

I could call my friend, he could set up an afternic / dan account, and buy my domain for $20k.

The fee could be called 'marketing budget', and we could make a lot of money, if we would hold many many .xyz domains...
right?

Just as example.

In other words: Even if swetha proofs sales; we still DON'T know the buyers.
And if that domain is not developed (or behaves strange), then this is a problem.

Who says, that it might not be like that?
(inside trading would get a whole new meaning)

Or: she might have ties to the official .xyz emittent.

As data shows, they felt like they had to acquire the domain 9.xyz for $125k.

And then found no use-case for it, so just forward it to their off. website, gen.xyz

Why would an off. emittent do this??
(in 2015, when .xyz was just a year old, and had no adoption).

This all sounds to curious to me....

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Everytime people on this forum will praise .com and nothing else exist for them based on their pure belief that they will become rich overnight with some-shit-domain.com

there are only a few good domains on this forum and those are in the TOP Domains section here: https://www.namepros.com/forums/top-domains.122/ - which of course no one has money to buy them and my pure belief is that no one has sold so far through namepros such a domain, but through other venues .

Last edited:
•••
Ola.xyz
Fin.xyz
rabbit hole

•••
How come we don't hear any more of the big xyz domains sales??

•••
How come we don't hear any more of the big xyz domains sales??
exactly.

sorry I had to bring this all on the table,
but as you see people tend to like or dislike something.

witout looking behind the curtain.

you need to look at the overall situation, and the quality of the names, which are being sold miraculously for (very) high prices...

bebop.xyz ($39,888)
taiko.xyz ($39,888)
mural.xyz ($39,888)
kylin.xyz ($28,394)
and so on...

and many, that are not developed

- while ultra legacy names like gaming.xyz cost only $100k;
where is the ratio?

Last edited:
•••
I have limited dataset and I only sold .com domains, but looking at my sold domains, here is a statistic for you:

21% developed
79% NOT DEVELOPED

These are all retail prices, not cheap wholesale prices.

And Namebio lists only a tiny fraction of the actual sales. And there are other sales databases, too, not just Namebio.

I think your conclusions are wrong. Just because a large percentage of the sold domains are undeveloped, it doesn't mean that these are fake sales. And Namebio is not the only sales database.

.xyz sales are real.

•••
I have limited dataset and I only sold .com domains, but looking at my sold domains, here is a statistic for you:

21% developed
79% NOT DEVELOPED

These are all retail prices, not cheap wholesale prices.

And Namebio lists only a tiny fraction of the actual sales. And there are other sales databases, too, not just Namebio.

I think your conclusions are wrong. Just because a large percentage of the sold domains are undeveloped, it doesn't mean that these are fake sales. And Namebio is not the only sales database.

.xyz sales are real.
thx.
here is my respond:

1) there is much reason to argue, that MOST .xyz sales (espec. the big ones) are being reported / listed at namebio.
Supporter (of this tld) want to show off and attract more domainers, so prices can rise.

2) what are your sales? - do they cover the top 100 .com ?
I guess not.

But: Of the TOP 100 .xyz sales, 50% are not developed.

Then again, some of the developed ones behave strange / forward to abandoned social media handles, which had 3 posts in total, or just have a static logo page.
Or forward to compl. different sites (other url names).

3) The quality of sold domains (in the 5 digit sphere):
While ultra legacy names like gaming.xyz were listed for only $100k,
totally awkward / niche (not even typical niche) names were sold for $30k - $40k...

But: Only and always by one and the same seller.

NO other .xyz seller has ever made the same experience like this one...

How can that be?!

Is it ok to ask this question/s?!

Or are we at a point, where no questions can be raised, no discussions hold...?!

thanks.

•••
A Look At What Sells In XYZ - NamePros blog post

Single-word .xyz domains sell for high prices but the word must be related to investment, tech, AI, NFTs, blockchain, cryptocurrency, metaverse and digital marketing.

And there are so called "registry premium" .xyz names when you must pay $500 - $3500 per year per domain for renewal (depending on the domain). Currently it's not very profitable to hold registry premium .xyz names as an investor, because the renewal fees will eat your profit.

So the best .xyz names are the single-word names, related to the industries I mentioned above, and no registry premium renewal fees.

One seller holds the majority of such names, that's why that single seller dominates the sales because that single seller bought almost all of these best names very early, many years ago.

Again, according to my experience, almost 80% of my sold domains are undeveloped. Maybe the companies who bought these names will use them later.

But you should understand just because the name is undeveloped, it doesn't mean that the sale was fake.

And we are talking about only a few hundred .xyz names which sold for high prices. Why is it so hard to believe it? It is totally realistic that there are a few hundred startups who could buy a domain for $30,000 - $100,000.

The majority of the sales are still .com names. The .xyz name sales are only a tiny fraction.

Besides .com there are other extensions which sell, such as .io, .co, .org, .net, .me, .vc, .ai, .ly, .gg etc. Are these sales also fake?

I think you could close this thread, you'd better spend your time on developing your domain portfolio and learning more about domain investment. If you can't believe that there are startups who can buy domains for $30,000 - $100,000, then it's a problem, because then 1) you won't invest in good names, because you think that these sales are "fake" and startups can't afford to buy names for such high prices (wrong), 2) you won't price your good names correctly and you might sell them for too cheap because your reality is that companies can't afford to pay top dollar for a domain (wrong).

So instead of this pointless thread, I think work on your belief system, yes there are startups who buy domains for $30,000 - $100,000, and yes there are domains which sell for $30,000 - $100,000 or more.

•••
And regarding your concern that the majority of the sold domains are still undeveloped, it has been discussed already here on NamePros, but I could find only this thread (there are other threads about this issue as well, but I couldn't find them):

Most of the big premium domain sales have no sites years later

It happens, not just in case of .xyz, but in the case of .com sales too that the name sells for a high price, but then it remains undeveloped. You can find some possible reasons in that linked thread.

Again, just because the site is still undeveloped, it doesn't mean that the sale was fake.

•••
A Look At What Sells In XYZ - NamePros blog post

Single-word .xyz domains sell for high prices but the word must be related to investment, tech, AI, NFTs, blockchain, cryptocurrency, metaverse and digital marketing.

And there are so called "registry premium" .xyz names when you must pay $500 - $3500 per year per domain for renewal (depending on the domain). Currently it's not very profitable to hold registry premium .xyz names as an investor, because the renewal fees will eat your profit.

So the best .xyz names are the single-word names, related to the industries I mentioned above, and no registry premium renewal fees.

One seller holds the majority of such names, that's why that single seller dominates the sales because that single seller bought almost all of these best names very early, many years ago.

Again, according to my experience, almost 80% of my sold domains are undeveloped. Maybe the companies who bought these names will use them later.

But you should understand just because the name is undeveloped, it doesn't mean that the sale was fake.

And we are talking about only a few hundred .xyz names which sold for high prices. Why is it so hard to believe it? It is totally realistic that there are a few hundred startups who could buy a domain for $30,000 - $100,000.

The majority of the sales are still .com names. The .xyz name sales are only a tiny fraction.

Besides .com there are other extensions which sell, such as .io, .co, .org, .net, .me, .vc, .ai, .ly, .gg etc. Are these sales also fake?

I think you could close this thread, you'd better spend your time on developing your domain portfolio and learning more about domain investment. If you can't believe that there are startups who can buy domains for $30,000 - $100,000, then it's a problem, because then 1) you won't invest in good names, because you think that these sales are "fake" and startups can't afford to buy names for such high prices (wrong), 2) you won't price your good names correctly and you might sell them for too cheap because your reality is that companies can't afford to pay top dollar for a domain (wrong).

So instead of this pointless thread, I think work on your belief system, yes there are startups who buy domains for $30,000 - $100,000, and yes there are domains which sell for $30,000 - $100,000 or more.
:xf.laugh:

did you actually read my post??

work on your belief system

We don't know for sure if sales are legit, or not...

But: There seems to be too much fishy going on.

As I said in a post before:

If an extension like .eth, which had many (very) high sales for high quality names,
also has some high priced sales for niche / or just bullshit names,
then this is ok:
As the ratio (quantity) fits

= many high priced sales for good names; a few high priced sales for bs (niche) names

BUT: .xyz only had very few high priced sales ($100k - $200k),
but has sales of $30k - $40k for domains like

chroma (not developed)
bebop
kylin (not developed)
taiko
stir (forwarding to .com)

aso.

And that all happens to only one domainer.

No other has any buyers of such names, in that price range.

Actually the opposite:

If you compare other sellers, they sell (even) good web3 or dictionary names,

but their price range is so far off from that what swetha posts,

that it makes it just look out of the ordinary.

- while ultra legacy names like gaming.xyz cost only $100k.

Last edited:
•••
The .xyz extension is a mess and I’d stay far away. When one person seemingly has all the luck, sales wise, you have to question the validity of the situation.
this

•••
We can judge .com , .co , xyz , .io , ai or all extension in our persepective, as much as we wabt to do that , but what is the main logic here ?

Buyer , seller , investors , or whoever they are , actually able to pick and choose an ideal names for their business or startup companies , but sometime they have no enough budget, or they will change later with top domains after raising new capital.

•••
i don't like this extension but if it's sell than why not to go with it ;)

•••
I appreciate the sharing of thoughts and opinions. Here are a few thoughts that come to mind after reading a few of these threads that question the validity of .xyz domain name sales.

No buyer or seller has to explain themselves or their transactions
Whether a car, a domain, real estate, or a new business, people/organizations make investments that others might deem unusual. This does not mean anything.

It is fair for some to feel inclined to investigate high dollar sales
If someone wins a lottery, yes, some people wonder if they cheated somehow. It's natural that some might question and never believe.

Why do some not believe in the value of the very products they sell?
Perhaps I am a bit naive, but I have always believed that digital real estate holds tremendous value. There is no question in my mind that a solid domain name can be worth large sums.

There is no right or wrong, only different levels of risk
Whether a domain name investor decides to invest .com, .xyz, .net, .co and so on, they can fail or succeed. There is no single formula for success.

Can't we all just get along?
I have found it somewhat disturbing that in more than one instance, domain transactions involving female domain investors/brokers have been held to a higher standard of proof by some others in the community. I am not sure why, but it seems the case. Whether or not there is unknown information, and even if some reported sales are deemed questionable by some, why should we not celebrate the success of others in this niche? I think we should.

I applaud those that have found success selling domain names regardless of what is left or right of the dot.

•••
I appreciate the sharing of thoughts and opinions. Here are a few thoughts that come to mind after reading a few of these threads that question the validity of .xyz domain name sales.

Whether a car, a domain, real estate, or a new business, people/organizations make investments that others might deem unusual. This does not mean anything.

If someone wins a lottery, yes, some people wonder if they cheated somehow. It's natural that some might question and never believe.

Perhaps I am a bit naive, but I have always believed that digital real estate holds tremendous value. There is no question in my mind that a solid domain name can be worth large sums.

Whether a domain name investor decides to invest .com, .xyz, .net, .co and so on, they can fail or succeed. There is no single formula for success.

I have found it somewhat disturbing that in more than one instance, domain transactions involving female domain investors/brokers have been held to a higher standard of proof by some others in the community. I am not sure why, but it seems the case. Whether or not there is unknown information, and even if some reported sales are deemed questionable by some, why should we not celebrate the success of others in this niche? I think we should.

I applaud those that have found success selling domain names regardless of what is left or right of the dot.
I feel I have to say the following:

1) I want to distance me from everyone, who is just blindly pushing a certain narrative, or trying to destroy someone else's business. - I am not into that.

2) You can clearly see, that I made my own real investigative work.

There was SO much talking over in the swetha - the truth may shock you thread,
and not even a single person had posted that he had re-checked (to say at least) the top 100 reported sales on namebio...
so I did it.

3) What I found, is what I posted there / in this thread.

And: I , as well as others, have clearly the right to discuss & question certain sales reports.

When simply comparing to other sales, a decent amount of sales stand out from the crowd / happen to look out of the ordinary.
SORRY, but this is the way it is with special / niche names, that go for $40k or higher...

I think I had the right to discuss what I found.

•••
I feel I have to say the following:

1) I want to distance me from everyone, who is just blindly pushing a certain narrative, or trying to destroy someone else's business. - I am not into that.

2) You can clearly see, that I made my own real investigative work.

There was SO much talking over in the swetha - the truth may shock you thread,
and not even a single person had posted that he had re-checked (to say at least) the top 100 reported sales on namebio...
so I did it.

3) What I found, is what I posted there / in this thread.

And: I , as well as others, have clearly the right to discuss & question certain sales reports.

When simply comparing to other sales, a decent amount of sales stand out from the crowd / happen to look out of the ordinary.
SORRY, but this is the way it is with special / niche names, that go for $40k or higher...

I think I had the right to discuss what I found.
It is fair to privately question whatever you like but you should understand the difference between private discussion (scratching your head wondering how) and speculative public allegation and accusation.

There are potential consequences to the latter, including a tarnished reputation, that should outweigh the inclination to naysay. Certainly some will embrace the idea of a rigged system, but this is unfortunate, not fortunate.

There is a saying "No one will be truly happy for your success but your mother". I think this is true.

Domain sales data is provided for insight and information purposes only. It is not financial or investing advice, and should be taken as such.

Here is an example of a helpful analysis of a high price domain sale:
https://robbiesblog.com/why-is-csebkerala-org-at-61000-usd/12152

I wish you great success with your domain investing and I hope you reach your personal goals.

Last edited:
•••

1. People try to scam in any market possible. Using "fake sales" just to increase the value of some products is one of the oldest tricks in the book. Regarding the domain market, where there are basically zero regulations, fake sales happen on daily basis. Should we make a big deal out of this? Well, that's up to anyone.
2. What if the same person wins the same lottery many times in the raw? what would you think about that specific lottery?

•••
1. People try to scam in any market possible. Using "fake sales" just to increase the value of some products is one of the oldest tricks in the book. Regarding the domain market, where there are basically zero regulations, fake sales happen on daily basis. Should we make a big deal out of this? Well, that's up to anyone.
2. What if the same person wins the same lottery many times in the raw? what would you think about that specific lottery?
1. Aftermarket domain name prices have and will likely always be very inconsistent. Pricing is one of the toughest yet most important aspects of product sales. "Fake Sales" have never clouded my judgement or affected my activity. If anything, most reported aftermarket sales (expired), have put downward pressure on pricing.

2. I don't play the lottery. However, given the scenario you present, I'd say that person would be very, very lucky. What else could I legitimately say?

My thoughts are that, at the end of the day, I'm not here to judge others. I have enough experience to not need reinforcement from others. I've definitely been fortunate and hope to continue to see decent sales.

If starting tomorrow I never reviewed sales data again, I'd still know what to do for my business.

I accept the fact there will always be some that believe the system is somehow rigged, however I am one that believes in hard work, persistence and the power of positivity.

•••
1. Aftermarket domain name prices have and will likely always be very inconsistent. Pricing is one of the toughest yet most important aspects of product sales. "Fake Sales" have never clouded my judgement or affected my activity. If anything, most reported aftermarket sales (expired), have put downward pressure on pricing.

2. I don't play the lottery. However, given the scenario you present, I'd say that person would be very, very lucky. What else could I legitimately say?

My thoughts are that, at the end of the day, I'm not here to judge others. I have enough experience to not need reinforcement from others. I've definitely been fortunate and hope to continue to see decent sales.

If starting tomorrow I never reviewed sales data again, I'd still know what to do for my business.

I accept the fact there will always be some that believe the system is somehow rigged, however I am one that believes in hard work, persistence and the power of positivity.
1. I never mentioned prices. I don't know why do you talk about other things just to dilute the main idea. If fake sales have not clouded your sales, that's just your own experice. Unfortunately, you are not the only player in the game. Just because you consider yourself not të get scammed, that doesn't mean it does not exist, or it is not effective.
2. If you don't play the lottery, why are you coming with the comparison? Also who asked you, if you play the lottery? Again, why are you diluting the main point? Very very lucky? In what world do you live? (rhetorical questions, please don't answer)
More diluting stuff....
You are not here to judge other, you are here to give an opinion. Why speak in particular? This thread is about fake sales for xyz domains.
More diluting stuff, yet this is one is funny.
"If starting tomorrow I never reviewed sales data again, I'd still know what to do for my business"
There's no such business that can be done properly without reviewing the market daily. Especially the domain market.
You are trying to troll here by taking a neutral side, but if you are not here to give a proper opinion, why even bother writing? If you can't "judge", then don't write. That should be easier.
And please, don't dilute the main point of the thread. Write less and be more precise.

•••
1. I never mentioned prices. I don't know why do you talk about other things just to dilute the main idea. If fake sales have not clouded your sales, that's just your own experice. Unfortunately, you are not the only player in the game. Just because you consider yourself not të get scammed, that doesn't mean it does not exist, or it is not effective.
2. If you don't play the lottery, why are you coming with the comparison? Also who asked you, if you play the lottery? Again, why are you diluting the main point? Very very lucky? In what world do you live? (rhetorical questions, please don't answer)
More diluting stuff....
You are not here to judge other, you are here to give an opinion. Why speak in particular? This thread is about fake sales for xyz domains.
More diluting stuff, yet this is one is funny.
"If starting tomorrow I never reviewed sales data again, I'd still know what to do for my business"
There's no such business that can be done properly without reviewing the market daily. Especially the domain market.
You are trying to troll here by taking a neutral side, but if you are not here to give a proper opinion, why even bother writing? If you can't "judge", then don't write. That should be easier.
And please, don't dilute the main point of the thread. Write less and be more precise.
I think your post is silly and a waste of time. If you prefer to spend your time on chasing fantasies, I will not try to stop you. Have fun. Best of luck with that. Meanwhile, I will keep selling domains which is the reason I am in this business.

•••
I think your post is silly and a waste of time. If you prefer to spend your time on chasing fantasies, I will not try to stop you. Have fun. Best of luck with that. Meanwhile, I will keep selling domains which is the reason I am in this business.
Reading your long nonsense posts about a dream world were indeed a waste of time. Good luck with your "no need to review the market" business model as well. lol

•••
Reading your long nonsense posts about a dream world were indeed a waste of time. Good luck with your "no need to review the market" business model as well. lol
Perhaps speak in your native language or learn better english. I rather use a translator than read your error filled grammar.

Oh, and have a nice day! :)

Last edited:
•••
Didn't you just sell a $35 xyz purchase for $30k?

Congrats!

•••
Perhaps speak in your native language or learn better english. I rather use a translator than read your error filled grammar.

Oh, and have a nice day! :)
So, now it's about my English? No more arguments? That's so pathetic.

•••
Didn't you just sell a $35 xyz purchase for $30k?

Congrats!
Yes. I tried for more but in the end I accepted the original offer of 30k.

•••
So, now it's about my English? No more arguments? That's so pathetic.
You claim to look for truth, but in reality, you don't want truth.

Last edited:
•••
Back