discuss Discuss [fake] .xyz sales & domains

NameSilo
Watch

Andreas B.

Top Member
Impact
In all honesty:

Before I took a wide & deep look into .xyz sales, I just thought:
"Ok, there might be some fake .xyz sales (to boost the adoption & hype), but in generall ~80% of those sales should be legit..."

After I checked the TOP 100 .xyz sales (from namebio), one by one, and found out that

a) 50% of all domains aren't either developed or resolve

b) some of the other 50% forward to strange abandoned twitter accounts, that were active ~1 year ago (and have in total like 3 posts),
or have a simple static site with a logo,
or forward to completely different domains (in .com),

and that in total 5 domains still forward to their sales page (at dan), without nameserver change since the 'sale'
(one, sold more than a year ago),

I must say that this errupted my trust into many of the .xyz sales, that are being reported.

Additionally to that, I took a look at the quality of the names itself, and as we discussed in the 'Swetha - the truth may shock you' thread,
at least 6 domains are very niche-like names / or just mean nothing (like taiko or kylin), but still happened to get sold for $30-40k!

If someone tells me in all seriously that I have to take this for real, simply believe in its trustworthy, and not question it...
then I have to say that something is wrong with your attitude, not mine.

I am simply looking at the names, and asking myself:
a) what the heck does that mean?
b) would I (or any serious business man I know) pay $30 to $40 thousand for such a niche of a niche (of a niche) name??
in .xyz?

Of course not.

So, in all honesty:
There's something very strange here.

Niche keywords (or even words, that you cannot explain; that aren't even a niche) are being sold for HIGH 5 digit prices!

(in an alt. extension, not in .com)

This raises suspicion & questions.

Then again, 50% of the TOP 100 .xyz sales aren't developed / resolving.

Many more forward to 'questionable' social media handles or static logo pages / or to completely different websites.

And finally: No other domainer makes the same experience, as swetha.

I asked for someone, who may show a niche domain sale (in xyz) for a high 5 digit price.

Well, there is none up to this date, by my knowledge.

Other domainers may sell .xyz domains, but the prices are so far off from what swetha sometimes posts, that the difference is more than noticeable.

And if you then take a look at the domains, they are at least dictionary words / typ. web3 keywords.

So, that all makes not that much sense, to put it politely.

If you stumble upon another very strange / very rare .xyz sale, you might post it here.

And if there is another .xyz domain, which was sold for high 5 digit prices, but does neither resolve or is developed, also.

I know, that after all discussions and all the evidence swetha has shown (look into my account, I really sold this or that domain),
swetha's sales have gained popularity.

BUT:
a) it is not just about swetha
b) if about swetha:
do you know with how many people she might work together?!

I could call my friend, he could set up an afternic / dan account, and buy my domain for $20k.

The fee could be called 'marketing budget', and we could make a lot of money, if we would hold many many .xyz domains...
right?

Just as example.

In other words: Even if swetha proofs sales; we still DON'T know the buyers.
And if that domain is not developed (or behaves strange), then this is a problem.

Who says, that it might not be like that?
(inside trading would get a whole new meaning)

Or: she might have ties to the official .xyz emittent.

As data shows, they felt like they had to acquire the domain 9.xyz for $125k.

And then found no use-case for it, so just forward it to their off. website, gen.xyz

Why would an off. emittent do this??
(in 2015, when .xyz was just a year old, and had no adoption).

This all sounds to curious to me....

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No need to overanalyze, bro. The XYZ ship has sunk.

Last edited:
•••
OK. Here is my conclusion based on my own honest opinion and experience. My experience is nothing to do with domain names (or hyphens LOL). It is to use worldy experience to try and put a different perspective on everything. There is sometimes an explanation that doesn't always fit with conventional wisdom.

Life experience 1 - I own 1,800 Penny Red stamps on cover (envelope) with the original letter inside. These date from 1840s onwards. Now, some of these sell for tens of thousands of dollars each. They are known as ephemera as they were paper or card based items that served their purpose and were not meant to be kept for 180 years. A more modern example would be baseball cards. The ones I have are neat in a collectable sense of the word but they also are tangible in that they could be converted into money. They have liquidity if I meet the right person as I could maybe sell them each for two or three bucks. They sit in a filing cabinet. Only one or two people in the world have ever seen them and yet they actually exist. They are not listed for sale anywhere. I have covers from the son of the first Attorney General of Singapore who also went on to be AG. They are important and historically significant. They sit in a filing cabinet.

Life experience 2 - In addition to the above I have approximately 12,000 legal documents which range in years from 1539 to 1865. Again, documents like these can sell for thousands of dollars each. They have been seen by one or two people in the entire world and yet they too do exist. They are not listed for sale anywhere. They are in the filing cabinet next to the above mentioned covers. They are tangible and they have financial liquidity. They sit in a filing cabinet.

Life experience 3 - The original mass produced NFTs of the 1950/60s - known as mid-century African tourist art. This is art that was also considered as ephemera as they were purely produced as a souvenir from Africa for the many American cruise liners that frequented the waters around Africa in the 50s and 60s. They are basic in their design and concept but they can sell for over $100 each. I have 207 of them. They have maybe been seen by one or two people in the entire world and yet they are not listed for sale anywhere. Guess where they are? That's right. In the filing cabinet next to the above mentioned documents and covers. They are tangible and they have financial liquidity.

Now, this is something that many people may never understand. They are a legacy from my great late Father. He retired and wrote a history book at 66 years of age and typed using two short pencils. He had never written a book nor had he ever used a computer. He is my inspiration.

I do not need to sell any of the above. I may never sell them. I might write my own book. They may never come on to the open market. They may never see the light of day. This doesn't mean that they don't exist or that there isn't someone who owns them but never sells them. They are perhaps a hedge against inflation of the future or they may just be something that I like to own but they mean more to me as just dusty old ephemera than money in the bank. This may be a concept that some will never understand. Or maybe, they just don't want to understand it.

I own the domain names StampMonthly .com and obviously Stamp-Monthly .com. They are listed together for $80,000. They are tangible and have financial liquidity. Now, what would you rather own?

Bottom line is, I don't worry what y'all doin and you shouldn't worry too much about what I'm a doin.

Get your house in order before you start shading your neighbours' house.

Of course, all of my ridiculous domain names are for sale so go ahead and make me an offer. You never know, I might just sell one to you.

Anyone know where I can buy a virtual filing cabinet LOL.

Rgrds,

Reddstagg

•••
1. Anyone that says fraud isn't possible, is a fool. Fraud happens on Wall Street, in Real Estate, Crypto, and anything else that involves money.

2. So yes, fraud is possible, but we don't accuse people of fraud just because fraud is possible. We would need evidence.

3. There are many .com's that sold for 6 and even 7 figures that have not been developed, is that also part of a plot? There are major real estate deals that happen and for years, nothing happens with the land acquired. Was the land purchased to prop up the real estate market is that area? It could be? Without evidence, we can only assume innocent.

4. XYZ has been something some in the crypto market embraced. That is not a market that always spends or invests using rational behavior, at least not rational to most outsiders. Did you ever see what some of these crypto people spend to throw parties? Buy cars? Homes? Watches? Does that make sense to you? There are meme coins that trade millions of dollars a day. You are trying to use logic to understand a group that you can't make sense of most of what they do. I didn't even mention NFT's, which reminds me, the domain NFTS.com was sold for 15 mil, still no site and that's a .com.

5. If a government agency wants to find out if it's fraud, they could do that very easily. They could get the records of 25 big xyz sales, find out who is behind the purchase, and if they see most sales leads to a shell game, we can only guess what happens next.

6. For now we should respect each other and give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Your thoughts are the same many here had, but it is not a good practice to assume guilt without evidence. If the xyz market was in fact manipulated, it would go down as one of the greatest frauds committed against people. There are people paying big annual renewals for some names.

Just my two cents dogecoins

•••
I came across developed XYZ websites but as i understand those domains are hand regs, not purchased in marketplaces or from Swetha, if you look Swetha shares links of peoples developed websites in XYZ thread, the question is.
Does those websites Swetha share are hand regs or sold in marketplaces?
P.s. if you want to find the truth, it's enough to get in contact with those website owners or buyers but it is not guarantee that they will reply.
Edit: look at Verisign how they proudly share how many millions of domains are registered but they never share how many domains from those registered are developed, you know why (?) because they don't care of developed websites, they care of millions of hand regs.
Also the high sold XYZ domains some are developed crypto/NFT websites, did someone from us try to register and see if the services they offer are real?
I can put a WP website up in half a hour with all links and buttons and images grabbed from Google. :ROFL:

Last edited:
•••
I came across developed XYZ websites but as i understand those domains are hand regs, not purchased in marketplaces or from Swetha, if you look Swetha shares links of peoples developed websites in XYZ thread, the question is.
Does those websites Swetha share are hand regs or sold in marketplaces?
P.s. if you want to find the truth, it's enough to get in contact with those website owners or buyers but it is not guarantee that they will reply.
Edit: look at Verisign how they proudly share how many millions of domains are registered but they never share how many domains from those registered are developed, you know why (?) because they don't care of developed websites, they care of millions of hand regs.
Also the high sold XYZ domains some are developed crypto/NFT websites, did someone from us try to register and see if the services they offer are real?
I can put a WP website up in half a hour with all links and buttons and images grabbed from Google. :ROFL:
yep,
but even developed sites can be fake.

If you earn 4-5 digits, its easy to hire a freelancer to create nice looking websites.

•••
We live in a world of scammers, crooks and thieves, a world full of lazy grabbers, where humans look for easy and fast ways of making money without putting in the hard work, you can expect anything from anyone, we are slaves of those who rule the world and the governments, humans tolerate this without doing anything.
They will suck it all from us, you will see no mercy from Government rulers, we should expect even more surprises not only from Domain industry.

•••
One more thing;

The community here seems to be a little poisoned (group-pressure).

All I said and listed in my first post are either statistics, that I made myself (you are free to re-check them),
or conclusions based on the name itself (quality, niche, does it act. mean something...).

It's NOT that I write something out of gut feeling;
I have actually made my work and recaped it.

That you are now simply downvoting, just shows that you have no arguments,
just assumptions ("these words sell in 5 digit sphere because they are... web3" (which they are not)),
and so on.

This is quite cowardish behaviour.

IF gaming.xyz sells for $100k, I am ready to acknowledge that.
gaming is a great word, therefore.
(although this domain is for sell again)

But if taiko, bebop, chroma or kylin sell for ~$40 thousand,
and people start to act like this is normal,
like anyone knows these words (some don't mean anything, not even in a niche),
then I see a problem here.

You not?!

Additionally to this, many more domains that do not resolve, and were sold by one and the same seller.

Last edited:
•••
You are obsessed, please go outside.

•••
You didn’t get the replies you wanted in the other thread so you start yet another useless xyz thread. Obsessed much?

Nobody cares and everyone is tired of this topic. If someone had concrete proof and not just speculations it would have been provided by now as this topic rages on for years.

Focus on your own sales.. if you have any… as most of your arguments are idiotic

(example: you don’t like a word that sold so it didn't sell for 40K as though your opinion matters)

•••
I don’t care, not my domains, not my money. Just an opinion;

Bull.xyz sold for $199888

This is a perfect name which has no technical problem and will resolve on the browsers.

Buymydomainplz.eth sold for $150417
٠٠٠.eth sold for $164120
❤‍🔥.eth sold for $159931

These domains have a technical problem they will never resolve yet selling in millions. There is no problem there, don't you see this? Now here is a bit of homework go find out who has bull.eth

I request you sir, please move ahead, if all this xyz is a scam it will come out and then you can say “I told you so”. But currently, you are stuck at xyz and not looking at the whole picture.

•••
You are obsessed, please go outside.
This is a very cheap & untrue argument, regarding the inconsistencies in the sales of .xyz

thanks

•••
I don’t care, not my domains, not my money. Just an opinion;

Bull.xyz sold for $199888

This is a perfect name which has no technical problem and will resolve on the browsers.

Buymydomainplz.eth sold for $150417
٠٠٠.eth sold for $164120
❤‍🔥.eth sold for $159931

These domains have a technical problem they will never resolve yet selling in millions. There is no problem there, don't you see this? Now here is a bit of homework go find out who has bull.eth

I request you sir, please move ahead, if all this xyz is a scam it will come out and then you can say “I told you so”. But currently, you are stuck at xyz and not looking at the whole picture.
Understand.

Well, eth is of course one of a hype web3 extension.
(at least was, in the year 2021).

We saw big prices in eth domains, ape & punk nfts, aso.

You picked a few eth domains; BUT there are many others, that are much better (good dict. words) and got sold for HIGH prices.

So in general, it makes sense - that you also find some other names, that were sold for good prices, but have no high quality...

In xyz case, you (only) had A FEW high quality names (bull, gaming), that were sold for good money,
but then yet you have words like the strange ones I described, also selling for not less good money.

And here, the quantity does not make much sense.

•••
For me (at least):

- I haven't sold a single .xyz except a few in xxx range, top was $750.

- Is domaining a field where there is a lot of fake stuff? Yes.

- Is it likely that a new(ish) extension like this might contain fake sales to boost the TLD or whatever? Definitely yes.

- Can I safely tell which sale is legit or not? Maybe, but in most cases no.

Therefore I just mind my .COM business (or whatever is your thing....) and stop wondering what and why. I still hold a few great .xyz but not having a lot of skin in that.

I'm busy enough doing my thing. Perhaps you guys should also be, good luck there!

Last edited:
•••
For me (at least):

- I haven't sold a single .xyz except a few in xxx range, top was $750.

- Is domaining a field where there is a lot of fake stuff? Yes.

- Is it likely that a new(ish) extension like this might contain fake sales to boost the TLD or whatever? Definitely yes.

- Can I safely tell which sale is legit or not? Maybe, but in most cases no.

Therefore I just mind my .COM business (or whatever is your thing....) and stop wondering what and why. I still hold a few great .xyz but not having a lot of skin in that.

I'm busy enough doing my thing. Perhaps you guys should also be, good luck there!
Is any of the names you sold developed or is it just part of Dan's generic XYZ website network? As I said, i think it's very likely that they have also bought names at cheaper prices from established NP members like yourself to reinnforce their propaganda.
With regards to negative voters, i think it's pretty obvious there are many fake accounts here that support various causes.

Last edited:
•••
Is any of the names you sold developed or is it just part of Dan's generic XYZ website network? As I said, i think it's very likely that they also bought names at cheaper prices from established NP members like yourself to enforce their propaganda.
With regards to negative voters, i think it's pretty obvious there are many fake accounts here that support various causes.
No. I have some rather good single words I keep. Tech and whatnot.

•••
Could be fraud or could be nothing. Could be fake or could be real.
If there's real proof of fraud then let's chat.

Otherwise, the only thing Im focusing on is selling my domain names.

•••
The .xyz extension is a mess and I’d stay far away. When one person seemingly has all the luck, sales wise, you have to question the validity of the situation.

•••
The .xyz extension is a mess and I’d stay far away. When one person seemingly has all the luck, sales wise, you have to question the validity of the situation.
Yep. The sane approach.

•••
No. I have some rather good single words I keep. Tech and whatnot.
This is the way I would go.

It's ok, if you (already) own good one keyword domains, which are asked for...

Why not flip them?!

It's a other story, if you want to invest into .xyz domains.

Beware of that.

And those handregs of today, make absolutely no sense at all.

That's it.

•••
But if taiko, bebop, chroma or kylin sell for ~$40 thousand,
and people start to act like this is normal,
like anyone knows these words (some don't mean anything, not even in a niche),
then I see a problem here.
It's almost as if you didn't both to look up the words you're referring to.

All real dictionary words, easy to define and find, it took me about 5 minutes to compile all 3.

Chroma [kroh-muh]
noun
Greek for color, may refer to:
1. the purity of a color, or its freedom from white or gray.
2. intensity of distinctive hue; saturation of a color.
3. a measure of color purity in the Munsell color system.

Kylin may refer to:

1. Kylin Network is a synergistic multi-level oracle data infrastructure built on Polkadot, democratizing the whole chain of data management processes required by all web3 middleware.
2. Qilin or Kylin, a mythical creature known in various East Asian cultures
3. Kylin (operating system), a Chinese operating system
4. Apache Kylin, an open-source distributed analytics engine
5. Kylin Villa, a place near University Town of Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
6. Bayi Kylin, a professional basketball team in Women's Chinese Basketball Association
7. Shaanxi Gaitianli Kylins, a defunct professional basketball team in the Chinese Basketball Association
8. Kylin TV, an internet television channel owned by Phoenix North America Chinese Channel
9. Kylin, a model of Mitsubishi pickups by Changfeng Motor

Taiko may refer to:

1. In Japanese, taiko literally means "drum," though the term has also come to refer to the art of Japanese drumming, also known as kumi-daiko.

2. "Taiko" is a Japanese word, which means a Japanese drumming style, a drum group, drum music and a drum itself. There are a wide variety of shapes and sizes of taiko. They have developed through the long history of Japan along with various traditional art forms such as Noh, Kyo-gen, Nagauta, and Kabuki.

People also searched for
taiko restaurant
taiko game
taiko no tatsujin
taiko drum
taiko online
taiko anime
taiko instrument

•••
It's almost as if you didn't both to look up the words you're referring to.

All real dictionary words, easy to define and find, it took me about 5 minutes to compile all 3.

Chroma [kroh-muh]
noun
Greek for color, may refer to:
1. the purity of a color, or its freedom from white or gray.
2. intensity of distinctive hue; saturation of a color.
3. a measure of color purity in the Munsell color system.

Kylin may refer to:

1. Kylin Network is a synergistic multi-level oracle data infrastructure built on Polkadot, democratizing the whole chain of data management processes required by all web3 middleware.
2. Qilin or Kylin, a mythical creature known in various East Asian cultures
3. Kylin (operating system), a Chinese operating system
4. Apache Kylin, an open-source distributed analytics engine
5. Kylin Villa, a place near University Town of Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
6. Bayi Kylin, a professional basketball team in Women's Chinese Basketball Association
7. Shaanxi Gaitianli Kylins, a defunct professional basketball team in the Chinese Basketball Association
8. Kylin TV, an internet television channel owned by Phoenix North America Chinese Channel
9. Kylin, a model of Mitsubishi pickups by Changfeng Motor

Taiko may refer to:

1. In Japanese, taiko literally means "drum," though the term has also come to refer to the art of Japanese drumming, also known as kumi-daiko.

2. "Taiko" is a Japanese word, which means a Japanese drumming style, a drum group, drum music and a drum itself. There are a wide variety of shapes and sizes of taiko. They have developed through the long history of Japan along with various traditional art forms such as Noh, Kyo-gen, Nagauta, and Kabuki.

People also searched for
taiko restaurant
taiko game
taiko no tatsujin
taiko drum
taiko online
taiko anime
taiko instrument
Aha.

Lets put this into comparison:

Gaming.xyz costed $100k (not developed)

Bull.xyz costed almost $200k (not developed)

sino.xyz $120k

And now you come up with a word like kylin, from which no normal person knows the meaning / definition,
and it is supposedly sold for $40 thousand !

You listed a few explanations above, that you HAD to look up on the net.

Acknowledge at least that; this is quite awkward...

And then, your explanations are still so specific (complicated), that it does NOT fit into the sane behaviour of someone, to pay that much money for this terms.

In comparison: The ultimate legacy name 'gaming' costed only ~double the cost for kylin, bebop, chroma aso.

And as for ex. kylin, could also be written as qylin / kilin (if you REALLY desperately want that name)... which you don't.

Last edited:
•••
Aha.

Lets put this into comparison:

Gaming.xyz costed $100k (not developed)

Bull.xyz costed almost $200k (not developed)

sino.xyz $120k

And now you come up with a word like kylin, from which no normal person knows the meaning / definition,
and it is supposedly sold for $40 thousand !

You listed a few explanations above, that you HAD to look up on the net.

Acknowledge at least that; this is quite awkward...

And then, your explanations are still so specific (complicated), that it does NOT fit into the sane behaviour of someone, to pay that much money for this terms.

In comparison: The ultimate legacy name 'gaming' costed only ~double the cost for kylin, bebop, chroma aso.

And as for ex. kylin, could also be written as qylin / kilin (if you REALLY desperately want that name)... which you don't.
gaming did not sell, it is listed for sale again, the buyer did not pay, it was on a LTO.

•••
gaming did not sell, it is listed for sale again, the buyer did not pay, it was on a LTO.
Alright.
(though, I heard it was paid & sold, and the new owner listed it for sale again).

However, it was listed for 100k, sino for 120k aso.

Can you believe that a domain like kylin, stir, chroma, taiko is listed for 40k,

a) someone stumbles upon it,
b) and buys it?!
(without negotiation)

If you need it, you can have a look at other extensions such as .io, .net, .org too.

You can start writing it different (each of the names can be written different).

But you don't go ahead and buy it for SUCH a high price;
espec. when legacy words like gaming are listed for only double the price.

Imagine, what other GOOD names (in .xyz) you could actually buy,
for a little bit more.

Or:
Do you know any extension where strange terms like the above were sold for high 5 digit prices,
whereas
a) good terms are only double in price
b) no other seller (besides one) sells such niche () words.

Last edited:
•••
How do you know there was no negotiations? Maybe they are hustling names instead of creating conspiracy theories.
Not one shred of evidence, contact those buyers, tell them your a college student researching domains and wondered why they liked .xyz
Come up with something. I priced all my names ending in 88 or 888 those seem to be lucky numbers 🍀

•••
Back