Dynadot

discuss Discuss and Learn: Completed Domain Name Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Report Completed Domain Sales Here

For a while now I've been wanting a place to discuss some of the sales. I believe it's against the rules and the spirit of Namepros to criticize sales. But sometimes myself and others are curious about why a name has sold, especially for a high price and Google is only so helpful. I definitely would like to understand more.

Now for some rules:

1. Don't type the name of the domain being discussed. Instead of Google.com use "G/o/o/g/l/e dot c/o/m" or something similar. Screenshots images work too.

2. No one is required to answer your questions. Some people only want to share their sales and don't wish to divulge all of their secrets. Be respectful and be grateful they shared anything.

3. You can also use this post to praise/comment on the Report post and hopefully won't get downvoted here.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
@blogspotter Your Second xyz sale was pretty impressive! Looking at Namebio, there's only been 19 domains with web3 sold and yours is the second highest to date!

•••
This was the buyer's second counter and I could have gotten a bit more but the .io was listed for like 6K and that made me accept the offer in a hurry since dot io is still the top choice for crypto guys, though I am no longer sure...

The io owner has since then removed the name from SH LMAO
Perhaps one of us from here
But pretty happy with the sale

•••
There is an existing thread to chit chat about reported sales that is different from the report your sales thread. Its rarely used except to move repeated clutter posts from the report your sales thread.

I think we should take what info we are given and be glad they shared and that should be enough because you are right many do not discuss any or all sales. Its voluntary. As is answering any questions. No one wants to be put on the spot.

With that being said, I guess it could work if A)—the seller has not requested “no more details” in their report and B)—if they are willing to answer your “curiosities”.

But just talking about other peoples sales randomly? Hard pass for me.

•••
I have seen the other thread but that one looks like a confused version of what this ought to be. There are people reporting sales in that other thread that I don't think are reporting in the actual thread.

We ought to be able to discuss any domain sales to better ourselves even if the seller doesn't join in or is even a member of this forum. This could be great for understanding new trends and ideas. I didn't know what NFTs were until I read about them on this website.

•••
So I found this interesting and worth sharing. Wondery LLC has multiple trademarks for Wondery going back to 2015. So are they the ones who probably just bought this domain:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/page-971#post-8575617

And if so, why? The domain that was sold was registered in 2020, years after trademarks existed so I wonder why the company didn't just snake it away using UDRP or whatever?

I am happy for the seller. I am just surprised that the domain sold instead of being taken.

•••
So I found this interesting and worth sharing. Wondery LLC has multiple trademarks for Wondery going back to 2015. So are they the ones who probably just bought this domain:

https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/page-971#post-8575617

And if so, why? The domain that was sold was registered in 2020, years after trademarks existed so I wonder why the company didn't just snake it away using UDRP or whatever?

I am happy for the seller. I am just surprised that the domain sold instead of being taken.
Hi

depends on what the name is used for:
https://www.wonderybrand.com/

also, considering the sale price of the domain and the amount it would cost company to file udrp and lawyer fee + time, + they might lose the case.... then it would be cheaper to purchase the name, if they wanted it.

imo...

•••
We ought to be able to discuss any domain sales to better ourselves even if the seller doesn't join in or is even a member of this forum
Hi

if and when the seller is not part of the discussion,
then the discussion can only be about "what if's and why's, various opinions, with no definitive answers."

so, you're don't learn anything other than how to expand a conversation based on premises filled with fallacies that draw false conclusions.

only the parties involved can provide factual "insider" information about the sale.

there is also chance you could offend someone during the discussion, which could deter others from revealing their sales.

still, i think if one wants more detail, then they should just ask the "right questions", when a member posts a domain sale.

imo...

Last edited:
•••
A trademark in one category doesn’t mean anyone else can’t use that word in another category.

•••
@DnFolk Congrats on the two domain sales you posted in the other thread: https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/page-986#post-8699092

I saw you felt the names were underpriced. I was curious what you felt the swag name should have been repriced at if you had the opportunity before it sold. I feel like "swag" is an underutilized word that I often use. But I also feel like it's a word that suggests hip, cool, modern goods whereas shoppe instead of shop tends to be more old school or classic. Like an "Joe's Antique Shoppe"

•••
@DnFolk Congrats on the two domain sales you posted in the other thread: https://www.namepros.com/threads/report-completed-domain-name-sales-here.83628/page-986#post-8699092

I saw you felt the names were underpriced. I was curious what you felt the swag name should have been repriced at if you had the opportunity before it sold. I feel like "swag" is an underutilized word that I often use. But I also feel like it's a word that suggests hip, cool, modern goods whereas shoppe instead of shop tends to be more old school or classic. Like an "Joe's Antique Shoppe"
Thank you. It was originally intended to be priced at 1499 or 1495. The other one 1995 or 1999.

•••
•••
Most of my sales have been dot com but I feel like IO and Org are both overlooked areas of opportunity.

•••
Show attachment 228193

My highest drop reg sale to date.

Afternic BIN, hold time 2.5 years. Hand regged at drop.

Note, I always kept it priced higher, $8k...12k range but decided to discount a few names for a better yearly bottom line and it sold.

Previously listed SH for $5300, appraisal which always seemed low to me BTW.

(edit: Afternic white on white color is killing me but I guess it's due to my mail client custom dark theme)

Later edit: I wouldn't be surprised if an investor bought this name.

Can you remember the key thing you consider before you registered this domain at drop?

•••
Can you remember the key thing you consider before you registered this domain at drop?

What's even to consider? EV domain, short, brandable, must be taken.

•••
CONNECT
Bought $4.87 at Porkbun on May 12, 2021
Sold for $1,190 at Afternic 2 days later

Wow! Great Sale. Didn't the 60-day registrar lock affect the sale in any way?

•••
35K after negotiations through a Godaddy broker
Bought for about 200-250 some years ago dont recall exactly.

These are the kinds of sales that still keep me on this forum and in domaining in general.

Discount sale ( ... or is it? )

Afternic BIN, hold time 7 months. Bought at GD closeouts ($5+ reg fee).

Note: I have absolutely no idea why I bought this. ...don't throw shoes, I will just duck smiling(smirking?) like you know who

It was in a pile of other purchases that day. Maybe because it just sounded brandsy to me but I had strong doubts lately, not necessarily on it being sold at all, but the chances of it being sold anytime soon.

Discounted to clear and couple days later, voila` - it sold.

( still perhaps good as a brand name OR maybe some meaning in foreign languages etc )

Thanks for the extra info you give with your sales. Among other things, it helps me keep my sanity in this business.

•••
Domain: Lakeview // Pools [.com]
Sale price : $1,588 (BIN)
Sale venue: Afternic Fast Transfer
Cost: $8 drop reg. + one transfer/renewal
Hold time: 16 months

I priced this domain at a discount because I was hesitant to renew it one more time, which made this sale feel extra good. Nice to see a website already up and running.

Like how many domains do you have in your portfolio?

•••
•••
hey, been a min. Probably my biggest sail.

Carda / no.me

6,495 via DAN

Tower closeouts nov 2018 for 45.

I h8 reading these without explanations for why they sold, so here:

Ada is a crypto that's more or less rising in fame. That's why I grabbed it.

It's also a generic word so it's not tm

Did you in any way outbound this?

•••
Last edited:
•••
@Armageddon Congratulations on all your recent hand reg sales! You always mention that the domains are "free hand regs". Where exactly can you hand register so many .com domains for free?

•••
@Armageddon Congratulations on all your recent hand reg sales! You always mention that the domains are "free hand regs". Where exactly can you hand register so many .com domains for free?

Mean was not reg.
Of course i paid 9.99$

•••
@Armageddon, why so low prices? Are you liquidating your portfolio? Portfolio size?

•••
Back