Dynadot

Direct Navigation - Good, Bad, Meaningless?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Just ramblings of the mind, feel free to weigh in, there is no right or wrong, just opinions.

Direct Navigation, a.k.a 'Type Ins', are gaining traction because advertisers are reaching people when they have the internet in the palm of their hands.

See an ad for hotwire.com, what do you do?

Open Browser > type in HotWire.com

Not

Open Browser > Google > search Hot Wire > Click on result

In terms of an EMD (exact match domain) I think very few people in this modern world actually go to Shoes.com just because there MIGHT be shoes that they want. They go there if they see an advertisement, or if search directs them to the site.

There is a constant fear that Google will remove the direct navigation in the browsers.

The problem with Google is that they have no real control over anything other then their search results. They don't own any of our websites, and they want to be able to control some actual real estate. Their business model works right now, but direct navigation is a direct threat to them.

In their heart-of-hearts, they would love to be your host and your registrar. I think inklings of this are rooted within the gTLD program... try to explode the namespace and devalue everything and make Google gTLDs the most valuable, as they will index them higher than other TLD's.

That's just a theory, but it smells like something Google would do.

Apple is also considering eliminating Google as their 'go to' search engine, providing their own search or even and considering a better contract with Bing.

Yes good ole Bing. The contract that Apple has with Google is weak, provides them with little revenue (still billions) , and Apple loves to 'in-house' everything they can (Beats By Dre acquisition).

I think if Google ever did eliminate the navigation bar, they would quickly take the #1 spot from MySpace in the "What not to do with a billion dollar idea" category.

In the end, it's what the people want, not what Google or ICANN wants. The release of new gTLDs is marred with deception and worthlessness. Why pay for a .XYZ when they are giving them out for free and a .NET is just as good. It makes no sense to the end user to own a gTLD unless it is such a premium keyword that they are all unavailable, and even then they will charge you a premium price.

Now back to direct navigation with respect to gTLDs. I ask everyone I know if they have heard of the new gTLD's, and most business owners have no idea they exist. Most importantly, CUSTOMERS don't know they exist.

So remember that HotWire commercial you just saw?

If you don't remember the extension to to site, what are most people going to type in? You guessed it... .COM .

So with that said, it is my opinion direct navigation solidifies domains as a permanent fixture of the internet, and .COM as the domain extension of worldwide choice.

Yes I know that ccTLDs are fantastic as well, (Kik.de sold for $257,000 USD) but I haven't seen one ad for a .CLUB unless it was a registrar pushing a .CLUB domain. Nobody wants to call their business a .CLUB, and .WEBSITE... isn't there a .WS lurking around there underneath a .MOBI or .AERO.

I did however see when 50 Cent accidentally said '.COM' instead of '.CLUB'.

What are you thoughts? Always interested in a good discussion.

Cheers!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
EMD .com's are hated by domainers because true EMD's are not dropping much and expensive to buy. There is a nasty bias about EMD's thats leading many to lose serious money.

Obviously sitting at your computer and coming up with brandable names is way more pleasant especially with a godaddy coupon code. Chumpsley, CCumblesey, Domainleey how cool lol her some claim that Pizxuyns is a pronounceable and memorable name.

Your bias will put you out of business quicker than google will.

If you are in the business of reselling domains, focus on quality .com EMD's, for every one business owner that will think Shosey.com is a cool name, 10,000 will understand why ShoeStore.com is a good name.

Have ya ever observed how the avg person searches or surfs? They do not search and surf the way a domainer does.

•••
EMD .com's are hated by domainers because true EMD's are not dropping much and expensive to buy. There is a nasty bias about EMD's thats leading many to lose serious money.

I don't think any domainers stay away from EMD's. It's the core of the business.

Affordable EMD's that can bring in high $x,xxx drop every single day... I'm looking at our breakdown sheet right now and there are great domains we are watching dropping with the following monthly SV counts:

4.4 K, 33.1 K, 49.5 K, 14.8 K, 1.6 K, 6.6 K

Some domainers are diversifying with brandables because they are cheap and can be bought in bulk. If you promote them properly they will sell. It is hedging your bets/buys. If you buy 40 brandables and you sell one for $x,xxx, then you are making a profit all day long and there is nothing wrong with that.

However if you are looking for easy sales that can provide a great ROI, buy a EMD and make the investment.

In reference to EMD's I was talking about direct navigation, and how nobody is going to just type "Shoes.com" if they are looking for shoes, they are going to go to a search engine first and then type shoes.

Very few people use the internet in that way, and countless high end developers and domain owners will tell you that direct navigation traffic is negligible for any single word high SV domain that is parked.

Direct navigation is influenced by promotion and is increasing due to ease of access via mobile.

•••
I don't think any domainers stay away from EMD's. It's the core of the business.

Affordable EMD's that can bring in high $x,xxx drop every single day... I'm looking at our breakdown sheet right now and there are great domains we are watching dropping with the following monthly SV counts:

4.4 K, 33.1 K, 49.5 K, 14.8 K, 1.6 K, 6.6 K

Some domainers are diversifying with brandables because they are cheap and can be bought in bulk. If you promote them properly they will sell. It is hedging your bets/buys. If you buy 40 brandables and you sell one for $x,xxx, then you are making a profit all day long and there is nothing wrong with that.

However if you are looking for easy sales that can provide a great ROI, buy a EMD and make the investment.

In reference to EMD's I was talking about direct navigation, and how nobody is going to just type "Shoes.com" if they are looking for shoes, they are going to go to a search engine first and then type shoes.

Very few people use the internet in that way, and countless high end developers and domain owners will tell you that direct navigation traffic is negligible for any single word high SV domain that is parked.

Direct navigation is influenced by promotion and is increasing due to ease of access via mobile.

If only you took a look at 25 non techie peoples computer and their browser and the 50 toolbars they got going, i think u will realize that you should not judge how you feel the avg person uses the web to browse.

You are 100% right on point on what you are saying but typins still get hits even longer emd names.

SEO wise (depending what engine and other factors) EMD's could be very helpful too.

•••
... direct navigation traffic is negligible for any single word high SV domain that is parked.
I am the laziest man on 3 continents, which explains my affinity for domaining. I can assure you that it's still possible to squeeze portfolio renewals out of 'negligible' direct nav parking. Auto pilot is a beautiful thing. I'll be in the back seat with a do not disturb/best offer sign.

People type all kinds of crazy stuff in address bars. I wouldn't begin to guess their motivation but I'm grateful for every keystroke. My direct nav traffic volume and earnings have been shrinking for years but epc and rpm turned a corner the most recent quarter up 50% vs one year ago. Where it goes, nobody knows. Enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
•••
I agree, I think that I may have discounted direct navigation a bit. It's just odd to me because I'm an efficient internet user, and have been all of my life.

So doing counter intuitive inefficient things with browsers is just so foreign to me.

If it's an exact match, I'm in, as always.

I've been hearing of some moderate success with long tail EMD with low SV (under 500) , which again is counter intuitive to me, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks for weighing in ecalc, I will let you know how a few of my own test runs go this year.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back