IT.COM

new gtlds Digital.NYC celebrates more than 1 million visits

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Digital.NYC celebrates one year of providing New Yorkers with helpful resources and information on over 6,500 New York based startups, nearly 200 early-stage investors, more than 8,900 jobs postings, and over 400 upcoming New York tech events.
To date, Digital.NYC has received over one million visits and more than 789,000 unique visitors.

Complete article and report may be found here

http://www.digital.nyc/infographic

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's definitely a milestone, but it's certainly nowhere near its potential. Many New Yorkers haven't even heard about NYC. In fact, I first heard about it when people from Itaca were complaining they didn't get a TLD.

As for city organizations, they seem to be happy with .com and .gov. The MTA site is still a .info, and that makes sense. It's going to take a while until people recognize this name.

•••
That's definitely a milestone, but it's certainly nowhere near its potential. Many New Yorkers haven't even heard about NYC. In fact, I first heard about it when people from Itaca were complaining they didn't get a TLD.

As for city organizations, they seem to be happy with .com and .gov. The MTA site is still a .info, and that makes sense. It's going to take a while until people recognize this name.

if .NYC can't penetrate into the New York City market.. that doesn't really bode well for other geo-NGTLDs like .Amsterdam and .Miami.

Thanks for your insight.

•••
•••
Just wanted to add to this thread that it takes time... and I'm a strong believer in NYC. dotLA is a little different as it's not a pure new geoTLD being the ccTLD for Laos - I think this leaves some people unsure of it... But it now has a better chance that all the other gTLDs are out.

Over the last week or so I've created a directory of NYC businesses using a NYC domain name. The directory can be viewed at developed.nyc. Usage is pretty diverse, from City Orgs, to councilmen (and women), to bakeries and delis, clothing stores, events and other local businesses.

I've found people using keyword.com to forward to their keyword.nyc - which is usually the other way around. There is value in local. Also I believe there are many metrics to measure success of new geo-TLDs (registrations, awareness, developed sites, revenue, brand strength...)

I think that there is a lot more that the City of NY and Neustar can do to promote the TLD, but not all of the premium auctions/release have occurred yet, and .NYC is one of the few TLDs with a nexus requirement.

•••
MTA is the transit system here in NYC, and they use mta.info. Probably the most visited .info on the web if I had to guess. Occasionally I'll see something promoting .nyc, there are some phone charging/wifi stations on the sidewalks that use link.nyc, other than that nothing too outstanding

•••
Yep, I use MTA.info often.

The MTA will never use mta.nyc because the MTA extends well beyond the city limits. Many of the travelers on the MTA network are from Long Island or Westchester.

I think that it will take a few more years before we see a critical mass adopting the TLD for local use, but there is no doubt in my mind it's growing and there is more adoption.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back