IT.COM

Did .top just lose 430,000 registrations?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
According to Domainpunch.com, .TOP today dropped 437,000 names and are now below 3 million registrations.

Massive loss! Obviously mostly because of all these campaigns a year ago.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
still drinking the coolaid i guess (or trying to get others too)

example:

if .xyz has 100's of reported sales and .top has 2 reported sales on the same platform (namebio), one can come to the same logical conclusion... there barely any sales for .top (reported or not)

Right.

Many sales are not reported in all extensions.
However, low reported sales = low overall sales.

Brad

•••
.TOP is not a TLD for quick money definitely...
But to be in profit with .TOP is absolutely possible...

•••
.TOP is not a TLD for quick money definitely...
But to be in profit with .TOP is absolutely possible...

i agree, but i don't see this as a long play investment - get in cheap and get out.

i see .top the same way as .info was before the new extensions.

as it is currently: .top has the 4th highest abuse ranking with almost 45% of reported/used .top names used for spamming purposes.

Source:

https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/

Last edited:
•••
Probably...
But I still not received any spam from .TOP, 0 such emails for ~3 years...
Almost all spam I receive from traditional TLDs...

Regarding .info
Try GermanKeyword.info to feel the difference...

Last edited:
•••
i was warned (from multiple SEO companies and developers) to stay away from .info before as it was a lot harder rank given google did not like the extension due to its abused use in the day.

if .top follows the same suite as .info did. it would be hard to get and trust any site based on that extension

•••
Yes, .info is NOT a golden TLD...
But you can make money with it as well...
Regarding me - I had up to ~$2K sales of .info (non-English).

•••
•••
.study Badness Index: 7.30 Domains seen: 2,199
Bad domains: 2,099 (95.5%)
shad02.gif

.party Badness Index: 6.20 Domains seen: 28,875
Bad domains: 18,237 (63.2%)
shad02.gif

.click Badness Index: 5.26 Domains seen: 14,345
Bad domains: 8,360 (58.3%)
shad02.gif

.top Badness Index: 4.87 Domains seen: 94,833
Bad domains: 43,254 (45.6%)
shad02.gif

.gdn Badness Index: 4.43 Domains seen: 7,857
Bad domains: 4,178 (53.2%)
shad02.gif

.asia Badness Index: 3.96 Domains seen: 4,594
Bad domains: 2,344 (51.0%)
shad02.gif

.cricket Badness Index: 3.96 Domains seen: 3,029
Bad domains: 1,621 (53.5%)
shad02.gif

.gq Badness Index: 3.89 Domains seen: 8,716
Bad domains: 4,080 (46.8%)
shad02.gif

.biz Badness Index: 3.65 Domains seen: 116,461
Bad domains: 40,068 (34.4%)
shad02.gif

.us Badness Index: 3.49 Domains seen: 121,819
Bad domains: 40,151 (33.0%)

•••
Since July all non-Chinese registrars, except NameCheap, have raised regfee on .TOP to ~$2 or higher...
So this Badness Index for .TOP should be lowered soon...

•••
I think, that NameCheap will also stop $0.66 soon...

•••
Updated today - 2,656,075 in zonefile.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Probably...
But I still not received any spam from .TOP, 0 such emails for ~3 years...
Almost all spam I receive from traditional TLDs...

Spam comes in many forms. My Analytics stats were riddled with .top before I filtered site traffic. I got 5 inquiries on efty this week, only they weren't inquiries, but .top .pro and .xyz spam, these were the extensions of choice used to spam their domain/services.

•••
.PRO is rated better/safer by SpamHaus than even .ORG, see above...

•••
.Top today has 2647001 names, according to Domainpunch.

It will be interesting to see if it will go down to below 2M or above 3M (first).

Last edited:
•••
.Top today has 2647001 names, according to Domainpunch.

It will be interesting to see if it will go down to below 2M or above 3M (first).

Why it will be interesting for you?

•••
Why it will be interesting for you?

Because domaining interests me... I have been on this new gTLD train since day one and statistics and data is a big part of it. It is not easy to make a living from these extensions without relying on data. .Top is on of the extensions with most regs so far, with mainly Chinese buyers. This has not happened in the world of domaining before. That is why it interests me.

•••
•••
Because domaining interests me... I have been on this new gTLD train since day one and statistics and data is a big part of it. It is not easy to make a living from these extensions without relying on data. .Top is on of the extensions with most regs so far, with mainly Chinese buyers. This has not happened in the world of domaining before. That is why it interests me.

I see.
Do you think your interest in observing .top can get stronger than in observing other TLDs?

•••
I see.
Do you think your interest in observing .top can get stronger than in observing other TLDs?

Nope, probably the opposite, if .top's aftermarket sales keep being as slow as now. Personally, I am dropping my .top names this year. They are not that good and I have received zero offers on them. However, I might dropcatch a new one or two though. It depends on what I can get.

For me, the extension itself doesn't matter that much. I do domaining for a living and not as a hobby lobbyist for any company or TLD. .Com is still stronger than all other TLDs combined, but it's not that easy (read: cheap) to get the really valuable ones.

Last edited:
•••
Nope, probably the opposite, if .top's aftermarket sales keep being as slow as now. Personally, I am dropping my .top names this year. They are not that good and I have received zero offers on them. However, I might dropcatch a new one or two though. It depends on what I can get.

For me, the extension itself doesn't matter that much. I do domaining for a living and not as a hobby lobbyist for any company or TLD. .Com is still stronger than all other TLDs combined, but it's not that easy (read: cheap) to get the really valuable ones.

I see - and what if .top's aftermarket sales will growing?

And, if I would sell my toptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptop.top domain for the highest price a domain ever sold - would you then try to dropcatch your dropped .top's or would you still think that .com is 'stronger than all other TLD's combined' (?) which is nonsense in my viewww since .top exists?

•••
I see - and what if .top's aftermarket sales will growing?

And, if I would sell my toptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptoptop.top domain for the highest price a domain ever sold - would you then try to dropcatch your dropped .top's or would you still think that .com is 'stronger than all other TLD's combined' (?) which is nonsense in my viewww since .top exists?

If .top aftermarket sales increases, so do my interest in the extension. Like any extension.

I will no longer discuss your domain, or any hypothetical scenarios around it, as it will only contribute to what I consider as spamming. No offense, but that is my point of view. ;)

Last edited:
•••
If .top aftermarket sales increases, so do my interest in the extension. Like any extension.

I will no longer discuss your domain, or any hypothetical scenarios around it, as it will only contribute to what I consider as spamming. No offense, but that is my point of view. ;)

I see, thanks for your replyyy
I fully respect your point of viewww
I wish you as many sales as possible and I am toptimistic that my hyposcenario will come true one dayyy

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back