IT.COM

Did the vultures come in and take my meal without me looking?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

thevoyager

Impact
Currently in the middle of setting up a new business, big intentions, world changing ideas etc.

I check the usual registrars for the .com - I checked yesterday and amazingly the .com was available and I think ranged from $3 to $5 or so.

Today I checked again and the .com had suddenly been pumped up to $1000! WTH!?

I feel sick to the core on many levels knowing that their are either

1. Domain suppliers who behave like this, maybe using insider information or cookies
2. Or people who somehow actively monitor what domains are being searchd and then snap them up for a penny and sell for thousands...

Can someone explain what has happened here? I am honestly so pissed off, it could have been the difference between a multi-million pound company, and not.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Can someone explain what has happened here?
You searched and found a domain name that you liked and wanted. Yet you decided not to register it. Came back the next day and it was too late.

•••
Currently in the middle of setting up a new business, big intentions, world changing ideas etc.

I check the usual registrars for the .com - I checked yesterday and amazingly the .com was available and I think ranged from $3 to $5 or so.
The wholesale price of .COM is $8.97 a year. Where was the .COM priced at $3 to $5?

If that was the case, was it not worth a few bucks to register such a world changing idea at the time?

Today I checked again and the .com had suddenly been pumped up to $1000! WTH!?

I feel sick to the core on many levels knowing that their are either

1. Domain suppliers who behave like this, maybe using insider information or cookies
2. Or people who somehow actively monitor what domains are being searchd and then snap them up for a penny and sell for thousands...

Can someone explain what has happened here? I am honestly so pissed off, it could have been the difference between a multi-million pound company, and not.
Who knows what happened without specifics.

It is possible the domain was already registered and there was some glitch showing it was available.

It is possible someone just registered the domain. There are 160M+ .com and billions of people on Earth, it is not implausible that someone else registered a domain.

On a side note, even $1,000 seems like a steal for a future multi-million pound company.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
On a side note, even $1,000 seems like a steal for a future multi-million pound company.

Brad
Ha, made me laugh, very true but I am just a bit sick that it was taken like this, I just want to know what happened.

Is this not a known thing in this space? I don't think it has happened before. It's just strong a coincidence.

Maybe someone is snooping in on our google docs. Again another implausible theory I am sure.

•••
You snooze you lose. No one is entitled to anything in a free market where anyone under the sun can register anything available any second of the day.

Every idea can be thought of by many. Next time register immediately.

Also 1K is extremely reasonable. Domains can and do sell for far more than that.

•••
Ha, made me laugh, very true but I am just a bit sick that it was taken like this, I just want to know what happened.

Is this not a known thing in this space? I don't think it has happened before. It's just strong a coincidence.

Maybe someone is snooping in on our google docs. Again another implausible theory I am sure.
If you DM me the domain, I will look at the history of it.

This happens often, and it is almost never anything nefarious.

Normally the domain was not actually available to start with, or it was just registered by one of the other billions of people on Earth.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
If you DM me the domain, I will look at the history of it.

This happens often, and it is almost never anything nefarious.

Normally the domain was not actually available to start with, or it was just registered by one of the other billions of people on Earth.

Brad
I just can't belive one day it was $3 or so and the next $1000, 1 day?!

•••
I just can't belive one day it was $3 or so and the next $1000, 1 day?!
.Com are never $3 unless there is some registrar promo. A registrar is taking a $6 loss to sell you a .com for $3.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
I think you simply looked somewhere wrong in the first place. Most likely it was some other extension selling cheaper on the drop down list that pretty much every registrar has, but dot com probably was taken a long time ago.

Last edited:
•••
If you walked through a city and found a gem just lying on the pavement, would you take it or leave it and come back tomorrow to check if it's still there? All possible domain names are out there in the open, anyone can take them, fist come - first served.

•••
Yep agreed on all.
Good analogy on the gems :)

•••

As has been said, there are loads of people who are likely to register a domain and its possible some registrars do have a means of tracking searched-for names and showing to other potential customers.

Interestingly, does the name now forward to a sales lander?

Last edited:
•••
Yes it goes here....

uniregistry.com/market/domain/

•••
I think if you go back and do a simple search on NameCheap it will tell you when it was registered. Mostly, there may be a time lag probably depending on many highly technical things which I will never understand but nano seconds are what we think happens but it is probably actual seconds to get the data.

And today's lesson is...strike while the iron is hot. He/she who hesitates....all is lost.

Good luck with your journey and don't forget to count your chickens LOL

Rgrds,

Reddstagg

•••

I am honestly so pissed off, it could have been the difference between a multi-million pound company, and not.

Could you please share what registrar you used to search for your domain? As others mentioned above, it's unlikely that a .com is only $3-$5 anywhere.

In any case, if you actually have a multi-million pound idea, it is not imperative to have a .com domain. Tons of great startups and businesses begin with a domain extension like .io or .co, or literally any other extension as long as it's not something that makes your website look silly (like a .horse maybe). It's still wise to get the .com if you can, but starting on a different extension should not take away from the value of your idea - IF that idea is indeed a multi-million one.

•••
As has been said, there are loads of people who are likely to register a domain and its possible some registrars do have a means of tracking searched-for names and showing to other potential customers.
I think you simply looked somewhere wrong in the first place. Most likely it was some other extension selling cheaper on the drop down list that pretty much every registrar has, but dot com probably was taken a long time ago.
Those are the two situations that have most likely happened to you. The first one happened to me many many years ago... and for sure it is still happening.

So, next time, when you find a gem that will change the whole world for just $3, take it. :xf.wink:

•••
I think if you go back and do a simple search on NameCheap it will tell you when it was registered. Mostly, there may be a time lag probably depending on many highly technical things which I will never understand but nano seconds are what we think happens but it is probably actual seconds to get the data.

Better yet, you can search for any .com here:

https://lookup.icann.org/en/lookup

and it will show the precise time - to the exact second - of its registration.

•••
Could you please share what registrar you used to search for your domain? As others mentioned above, it's unlikely that a .com is only $3-$5 anywhere.

123reg.com -

I read online to not search these types of companies, as for this very reason.

•••

And today's lesson is...strike while the iron is hot. He/she who hesitates....all is lost.

Good luck with your journey and don't forget to count your chickens LOL

Rgrds,

Reddstagg
Hi, how do I use NameCheap to do this? Is NameCheap not just like 123reg and GoDaddy?

•••
I have just looked on WHOIS... Does this mean they bought it? As I guess it was available on other registars.

Registrar URL: //uniregistry
Updated Date: 2022-08-30T17:38:00Z
Creation Date: 2018-09-10T11:50:00Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2023-09-10T11:50:00Z
Registrar: GoDaddy Online Services Cayman Islands Ltd.
Registrar IANA ID: 1659

•••
Domain was created in 2018. So it was already registered 4 years ago, when you searched for it.

Last edited:
•••
It means the domain was, in fact, registered 4 years ago, in 2018.

So either 123Reg had a glitch showing you an unavailable domain as being available, or you saw another extension being available (maybe .co or co.uk).

But it's very clear: No one stole your idea, the domain was registered long before you thought about it.

Last edited:
•••
Domain was created in 2018. So it was already registered 4 years ago, when you searched for it.

Created? Does that mean bought privately in this context?

•••
OK all I think we got to the bottom of it, I misread something.
No conspiracy here :)

•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back