IT.COM

Did someone hack my Afternic account?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Today I found that all my domains at Afternic were removed (about 320) and only 17 domains that are not mine are listed!!

I checked the notifications inside Afternic and there are hundreds of messages saying "We found a duplicate listing - Your domain(s) are already actively listed" in each message several strange domains that I never owned are listed.

It seems someone uploaded thousands of domains to my account using excel sheet upload from which only 17 were listed, and in the process my portfolio was overwritten and all my listed domains were removed!!

Someone may have hacked my account, or somehow it might be internal bug in Afternic that resulted in importing someone else sheet list into my account.

I find it hard to believe that my account was hacked because the password I use I don't use it anywhere, also who wants to hack an Afternic account and for what purpose or benefit?!

@Joe Styler your advice will be appreciated.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Very strange. Do you have 2FA? In any case, it might be better to call them. They do answer phone calls...

•••
Very strange. Do you have 2FA? In any case, it might be better to call them. They do answer phone calls...
No I don't have 2FA.. I sent email to support and waiting for answer. Phone call will be expensive because I am based in EU.

•••
Maybe try: 1) change password 2) enable 2fa 3) delete current domains and reupload yours.

Looks like a bug with the new afternic beta though. In afternic problems thread, there are reports that bulk upload no more works (if a new beta is used). What if it works, but uploads to another (random) account...

Last edited:
•••
The first thing I did is changing the password, I will enable 2FA next.

What if it works, but uploads to another (random) account...

I feel that is what happened.. because it does not make sense that someone hacked my account and uploaded his domains then left, whats the purpose?!

•••
Did you have an epik account?
It said in the leak that afternic credentials were leaked.
Did you change your afternic password after the leak?

Last edited:
•••
Did you have an epik account?
It said in the leak that afternic credentials were leaked.
Did you change your afternic password after the leak?

Yes I have an Epik account I didn't change my Afternic password after the leak. But my Afternic password is different from Epik.

Last edited:
•••
Afternic support confirmed that it was an internal bug!!
OMG now I have to relist all my domains
:banghead:

•••
BIG THINGS coming to afternic in 2021 joe joe styler was saying earlier this year. Way to go Joe Joe
Glad you werent hacked. Have fun reloading your afternic acct

•••
Back