Dynadot

advice Did I quote the wrong price?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

VJB

Established Member
Impact
There is one popular online brand ($ 50 million worth atleast) lets say example.com and I happened to have .net version with me .... I approached the right person within company ... He asked me how much I was willing to sell it for ... I have quoted low xxxxx and haven't got any reply since .... It has been just few days ... What should I do?
I am ready to wait ...but I am interested to know how you guys would go about it..
How likely a .com owner likely to acquire .net as well?
Regards

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I would really welcome some expert advice on the subject

Even experts have to know more details.

If you think this domain is worth defending, please consult a law firm with specific knowledge in this field, and follow their legal advice.

God bless you.

Last edited:
•••
I would really welcome some expert advice on the subject .....
You'll get expert advice from a lawyer. If it's a large corporation, they'll have lawyers on staff. They'll more than likely protect their brand.

•••
If you own the .COM, the .NET is not normally needed that much.

The odds of selling some random .NET proactively for $XX,XXX are remote.

Brad
not needed however ownership of the .nets are still wanted for the simple sake of protecting their name from being used by a competitor causing brand confusion. however asking for that much probably wont produce the desired result. depending on the assets available and their current cashflow. I would thing the .net to be worth mid to high XXXX if its small company with limited assets you be luck to get high XXX to low XXXX

•••
You'll get expert advice from a lawyer. If it's a large corporation, they'll have lawyers on staff. They'll more than likely protect their brand.
yes So much that if anyone starts using it they will likely come after you. I had a big multi million dollar company once try to sue me over my company name that was nothing like there name. The only thing our names had in common was we both had United in the name. We both had 3 word names united being the only one that was the same. I eventually won only cause they failed to show to prove their case but still took 2 years. Big companies tend to go after small companies cause they know the cant afford representation cause trademark layers are very expensive. So most small companies don't know all they have to jump through and the timeline things have to be done in. In my case I did my own research and filed all the appeals my self. If you don't do that within the timed window you lose by default. That is also why many companies wont care that you are carrying the .net version of their brand. They know you are perfectly fine hanging on to that name but the minute someone starts using it for business purposes they will go after you. That is also why .net are really quite worthless unless being sold with a .com. I don't deal with .net at all its dangerous and a waste of money if their is already a .com being used.

•••
There is one popular online brand ($ 50 million worth atleast) lets say example.com and I happened to have .net version with me .... I approached the right person within company ... He asked me how much I was willing to sell it for ... I have quoted low xxxxx and haven't got any reply since .... It has been just few days ... What should I do?
I am ready to wait ...but I am interested to know how you guys would go about it..
How likely a .com owner likely to acquire .net as well?
Regards
They won’t buy .net

•••
They won’t buy .net
as long as they own their trademarks there is zero need to as nobody can legally use it for business anyway. its useless.

Last edited:
•••
as long as they own their trademarks there is zero need to as nobody can legally use it for business anyway. its useless.
Backlinks always help

•••
Hi guys,
Update- I was eventually able to sell the domain to the company for High XXX .... I think I am happy with it ... I wanted to get rid of this domain ...... In future, I am never going to get into this stuff (While buying this domain I didn't realise it might be trademarked, I had just started domaining a while back)..
A lesson learnt for me ..... And hopefully, all the new bees out there reading this thread ...
Can't name the domain for obvious reasons ...
Grateful to this community .... Will try to share back what I have learnt from it ....

•••
In retrospect, I might have sold low ...... But I kept in mind the advice I received here and decided to let go of the domain to the right people... I am here for long term domaining and in the coming time, I hope to make some good sales...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back