Dynadot

poll Did domain prices go down market-wide lately already, due to low sales?

NameSilo
Watch

Did domain prices go down market-wide lately?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • I see a significant overall decrease in prices

votes
    27.8%
  • Some price decrease

votes
    25.9%
  • Prices are about the same

votes
    18.5%
  • Prices have actually increased

votes
    27.8%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

twiki

Top Member
Impact
Not necessarily if you are personally lowering prices. But if you think the market did reduce prices overall already.

It's probably not a good idea - in my opinion - to (ever) reduce prices.

With domain renewal prices and high auction buy prices currently, all you get will be losses by reducing price; also since sales are more scarce.

But some sellers will reduce prices in hope of a sale.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
In general I see drop in wholesale prices for liquid domains such as 4Ls. And I see that some domainers decreased their retails prices considerably.

For me I decreased the prices of my weak domains and increased the prices of good ones. I am trying to make a balance.

•••
Automatic formulas won't take into consideration the psychological aspects. And I don't mean $xxx sales, as I am not interested in those types.

E.g. changing price from $2500 to $2600 could reduce the sales by more than the 4% increase, as people could perceive anything above $2500 cutoff as too expensive. Or, vice versa, 4% reduction to $2400 might not move the needle at all, as it might seem the same to them (either too expensive or still affordable). There is no way to know until proper synced A/B tests on a mass scale. I will get to it eventually, but right now it is not a priority. I'd probably be interested to test $1950 vs $2500 vs $2950 in particular, as sub $2k and sub $3k seems to be the other psychological barriers. If I discover any change in sales beyond the circa 20% +/-, that could be an incentive to change pricing.

Pricing should be based on how big the business/product potential is and how much the business/product depends on the internet. For example if a domain is related to a small local business which depends mostly on foot traffic and offline payment methods, that domain couldn't break 2k-3k psychological barriers in most of the time.

•••
Pricing should be based on how big the business/product potential is and how much the business/product depends on the internet. For example if a domain is related to a small local business which depends mostly on foot traffic and offline payment methods, that domain couldn't break 2k-3k psychological barriers in most of the time.

Well, I try not to buy the names that I don't think can sell for $2k-3k minimum. So, if a domain is good enough only for a small local business, or blog, or personal, I won't invest in it.

The price elasticity will be performed on the names I believe have a reasonable chance to sell for $2.5k with an expected STR of near 1%.

•••
The big players don't seem to do drastic repricing when times are good or bad, just very gradual changes. So that part is fixed.

I suspect the prices at brandable marketplaces also stable.

The terrible economy right now, and the increases in renewal fees, are definitely squeezing some/many. I suspect that some prices have gone down, and the wholesale market prices are down I thin, as is demand.

The top of the market, at least if judge by DNJournal, is very weak in recent months. I suspect that most with those high-end names have plans to hold for many years, and are unlikely to change prices much.

With so many layoffs in tech, will we see people starting solo businesses and in market for a name, perhaps on a payment plan, appropriate to that? And what is that budget point for a one-of business?

Thanks for starting the topic @twiki!

-Bob

•••
The big players don't seem to do drastic repricing when times are good or bad, just very gradual changes. So that part is fixed.

I suspect the prices at brandable marketplaces also stable.

The terrible economy right now, and the increases in renewal fees, are definitely squeezing some/many. I suspect that some prices have gone down, and the wholesale market prices are down I thin, as is demand.

The top of the market, at least if judge by DNJournal, is very weak in recent months. I suspect that most with those high-end names have plans to hold for many years, and are unlikely to change prices much.

With so many layoffs in tech, will we see people starting solo businesses and in market for a name, perhaps on a payment plan, appropriate to that? And what is that budget point for a one-of business?

Thanks for starting the topic @twiki!

-Bob
Thanks for your comment as well, @Bob Hawkes .

The only big problem I see with payment plans is: Buyer changing their mind / stopping payments.

Edit: Most domains bought will either 1) never be developed, or 2) turn into a flop within one year or so.

That's why I don't see payment plans as a feasible option. Especially in this market. I'd rather negotiate and sell names even at some discount if needed.

Money in hand should be the new mantra in these times.

Last edited:
•••
Seen (big num of .com)
Premium names: > 20%+up
Remium names: > 40%+up
Emium names: < 50% discounted
Mium names: < 150-200% discounted
Ium names: > 100% even 300% up
Um names: < 300% +more discounted
M Names: > 30-50% up

Last edited:
•••
Seen (big num of .com)
Liked. Guess not everyone gets it though... or are familiar with your sales.

•••
So if the price of loans (interest rate) goes up you expect also real estate prices going up?
probably....talking about real estate, i love how some people think the higher interest rates and prices will get rid of the demand for real estate.
Domains may very well go up or down, it's no easy answer so far.
Much more likely domains will go up than go down. The world "mainstreaming" into the digital space seems to be not bad for domains, so that means up is more likely. I'm also seeing increased demand and prices for shorter names. One sign we will see (or not see) that will tell us if domains are really going up and big or gonna bust soon, is the arrival of a neutral "ratings" site/service that formally recognizes types and values of different domains (and that in turn enables larger and better market activity).

To me, in 2022, if you're holding GOOD domains, you're holding real assets, still.

•••
Seen (big num of .com)
The Matthew effect has been happening since the CEO of YOUTUBE made a public statement about domain advice, it's just that most of us are only now feeling it.
Frankly, I think this group seems far more interested in finding the next stable-to-payday quickly than in building a new product or project. After all, when a stable and comfortable dream is shattered, it is difficult to move quickly to another dream.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back