IT.COM

sales Did buyer take a huge risk acquiring AmazonCannabis.com for $25,000 USD

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Robbie

RobbiesBlog.comTop Member
Impact
The top reported domain name sale yesterday was AmazonCannabis.com while technically two generic keyword terms "Amazon" & "Cannabis" - I am not sure I would have spent $25,000 USD on this acquisition without some sound legal advice.

What do you think, Did Amazon acquire it, would you have taken this five-figure risk?

Read more on Robbies Blog....

https://robbiesblog.com/amazoncannabis-com-sells-for-a-risky-25000-usd/10171

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
To a billion dollar company $25k is cheaper than messing around with haggling, threatening or issuing UDRPs they might not win and will only generate negative publicity over.

Is that so? :) Well, you may want to go ahead and register ApplePhones.com then make a pitch to Apple for $25000, let's see if it's the money or UDRP will be thrown at you.

The whole point of trademarking especially for these big guys is a chance to take it for free instead of buying in any doubtful situation. Matter of fact, to buy it in this case for Amazon will create a more negative precedent, than trying to go for this legally, and it has nothing to do with money, that is of course little for them. If it's ever released that it's really Amazon who bought it - domainers will buy some similar names, hoping for the same outcome.

•••
This is not about someone registering AmazonTablet.com and pitching it to Amazon, so if I register AppleCannabis.com and don't mention it to anyone why would the Apple who make phones even notice, let alone care?

Facebook just bought some 'meta' names and everyone registers meta names. So what?

"Amazoncannabis" is not a trademark violation, which you already know, otherwise you wouldn't have to make up completely different examples about Apple to argue about instead, so I don't even understand the point of this discussion.

•••
That buyer better own a big cannabis plantation right off the Amazon river.

Last edited:
•••
When I read that AmazonCannabis.com was registered in 2014, I remembered that was around the time ICANN gave Amazon.com exclusive control of .amazon, over the objections of Amazon Rainforest nations Brazil, Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador and Guyana... who have had a legal indigenous claim to the name.

Amazon Rainforest countries not only lost the economic power of using .amazon for ecotourism, cannabis branding, etc., but they also don't even get a share of their name sales like other extensions pay.

So, perhaps, the sale and price have a connection to the hijacking of .amazon.
https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/resolutions-2019-05-15-en#1.c

Note: I bought JungleWeed.com in 2014.

•••
amazon doesnt own the rights to the word "amazon." you do not completely own a word just because you're a big company. (look at apple records.)

unless amazon has already entered cannabis business or registered the trademark, its free game

•••
recent news about Amazon supporting the legalization of cannabis

Yes, of course this is a purely moral stance by the big-tech behemoth.
It's not opportunist in any way. And definitely nothing at all to do with the fact that they bought an online pharmacy in 2018, have applied for wholesale pharma licences, and have an established end-to-end traceable delivery network.

:xf.smile:

•••
Back