IT.COM

question Developing domains with actually hyphenated words - Quick Question

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Back after a 10+ year break! Love the growth in the community and can't wait to contribute. Will re-introduce myself soon, but for now, I could use some quick help on a project I'm launching.

I'm spinning up an ecomm store and the actual name is a hyphenated word (ex: non-starter.com -- not the name, but similar). I have both .com's (with and without hyphen), but years of Internet-ing has taught me that hyphens in a domain name are undesirable - BUT what if the word actually uses a hyphen?

All social media handles do not use hyphens and I'm projecting most business will come through those channels, along with paid ads and some email and influencer campaigns. So the impact won't be super significant, BUT in this particular case I have the option.

I did a quick search on Namespros but didn't see an answer (but I certainly could have missed it - it's been a while) and it's my understand that SEO will not be massively impacted, but I do want to hear from the group.

Either way, I will redirect the second choice to the store, but what would you wise folks do?

Thanks to everyone that reads this.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I should add that I read the merriam-webster.com discussion here. I can assure you that the ecomm store I am creating is not as sophisticated as MW. Haha.

•••
Use the non hyphenated domain for brand consistently.

•••
the SEO impact on hyphenated names is a myth

Last edited:
•••
Only Germany 🇩🇪 loves Hyphens.

And that’s cuz their domains can be long

are anomaly .de ccTLD used most there lol

Last edited:
•••
Thankss
Use the non hyphenated domain for brand consistently.

Good point. Also, the hyphen limits me with logo design. No hyphen gives me a bit more freedom.

•••
@Norris416 you can use the hyphen in a creative way within your logo
not worth it to spend big money on a domain if you are just starting out with your business hyphen or no hyphen won't affect your seo(which is what matters the most)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back