IT.COM

Developed site v. undeveloped site

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
I understand that developed site is usually worth more. But here's a newbie question - the buyer will likely substitute his own content when he acquires a domain name and so why would this factor into the pricing? One thing I could think of is may be the buyer is hoping for some residual traffic. Can someone explain? Thanks!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
The "value" in a developed site (most of the time) is traffic. The content isn't as important as site exposure.

•••
Even without traffic, developing a site can let a potential buyer see the potential in a site and domain. Plus, your development is worth something to the buyer because he didn't have to do it himself.

It really depends on the domain. I wouldn't attempt to develop something like cars.com because the domain is strong enough on its own. Now if I owned reallycoolcars.com, I need to give people a reason to buy from me because the domain is weak.

•••
But let's say the buyer is going to substitute the content, then the traffic pattern will surely change, right?

•••
•••
some domains seem like traffic atractors

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back