IT.COM

Data mining, analysis, algorithms

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

MarxsIn2017

Established Member
Impact
Hi All,

I'm new to the world of domain buying and selling.
I'm wondering if there are people or big organisations running the following setup:

Import data of past sales ->
Analyse this data for factors that contribute to value (length, how old the domain is, .com. .org etc)
Then come out with a weighting concept that lets us actually attribute a value to domains that are currently for sale.

From there the list of current domains for sale could be analysed and when sale price < value the program established -> hit buy?

Last step: Profit :)

TLDR: Basically I'm wondering if there are tools that value domains based on machine learning, past sales etc. and then recommend purchases or even auto purchase?

Result would be decreased profits, if the value of the domain is easy to establish and programs can purchase undervalued domains automatically then there would be no more profits to make, because all domains would be valued 'correctly'.

The problem that I can see is that the value is dependent on the intentions of the potential buyer and how much it is worth to him. This could still be traced back to length of domain etc. but it would be a variable that maybe more related to the size of the business and the budget of the buyer.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Cheers, I image the one that comes closest to valuing the domain name for you would be estibot ? Did anybody try it and can say if they are accurate?

This link was a typo: DS .... would appreciate the correct link, thanks :)

•••
Estibot is worthless. The only real measure of value is what someone is willing to pay, after they have paid it. Supposedly some big name domainer have tools that seek out unregistered keyword combinations that they then register in bulk, but that is probably old-school because it is based on EMD ie Exact Match Domains having inherent SEO value, which they no longer do in Google.

The whole domain business is very uncertain and insecure with low turnover, so really there are no credible estimates, just visible trends in known sales, which are only some of the sales - Sedo say themselves that 80% of their sales are reported.

Sedo used to publish interesting quarterly reports but stopped: https://onlinedomain.com/2016/06/29/opinions/sedo-steady-decline-since-2010/

Last edited:
•••
•••
I'm new to the world of domain buying and selling.

Hello and welcome! There is a definite learning curve to this business so be patient. Lots of good info and people here so read and learn.

Automated estimating bots are just that...automated. What you can get from them are stats and basic information...good places to start to begin the pricing process but not an end all...human hands/thought is necessary. Best wishes and good luck!

•••
Have any of you tried investing in .cn ?

•••
Sorry, another noob question: Is the $11.99/yr* the cheapest you can buy .com domains for (godaddy) if there are no promotions ?

•••
Sorry, another noob question: Is the $11.99/yr* the cheapest you can buy .com domains for (godaddy) if there are no promotions ?

I've been using Namecheap lately - transferred a number of domains from Godaddy to Namecheap, and have registered a few there as well. Cut my renewals down, and if you search "namecheap coupon code" you can find a code (DOGDAY8) currently I think? Brings the fees down to under 9 bucks.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back