ATTN REGISTRARS! it.com domain sunrise starts on Jan 2nd! GET READY NOW

question DAN vs. Afternic, which is better?

Catch.Club Catch.Club

Which domain marketplace got you more sales?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Afternic

votes
    60.9%
  • Dan

votes
    39.1%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Hi there, I'm considering listing my names at Dan or Afternic. Just was wondering which got you more sales, Afternic or Dan?

Thank you in advance!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

LoveCatchyDomains

Daring to LiveTop Member
Impact
This is an excellent strategy. Good to know.
Well, you do have to ask for special permission to do so---at least when I first signed on. The advantage is that someone interested in one type of domains gets to see those types.
Note though that this could affect your status as a trusted seller. There was, at least in the past, the need for five sales before you were given the label.. If there are multiple accounts, it's unclear that you can have that designation across the board, unless each had the required number of sales. That may be worth checking on, before you proceed with splitting the portfolio in to the "niche" collections.

•••

MrDenton

Top Member
Impact
The guys at dan are great, more friendly and less robotic. The site is super user friendly and functioning, and the landing pages are the best bar none. However, the amount of false inquiries on there is out of control. So I recommend just setting BIN prices and disabling offers of any kind. That way, you will know when they sell.

Afternic doesn't F around. When you get the email something sold, it sold...at least from my experiences.

Last edited:
•••

LoveCatchyDomains

Daring to LiveTop Member
Impact
The guys at dan are great, more friendly and less robotic. The site is super user friendly and functioning, and the landing pages are the best bar none. However, the amount of false inquiries on there is out of control. So I recommend just setting BIN prices and disabling offers of any kind. That way, you will know when they sell.
That's good to know. Have you had more success overall with DAN or Afternic?

•••

MrDenton

Top Member
Impact
I've had more inquiries on dan but more actual sales on afternic.

•••

topdom

Top Member
Impact
Does Dan have mls?
Can we change price for mls/dls domains?
Can we cancel mls/dls at Afternic directly? / in bulk?

•••

LoveCatchyDomains

Daring to LiveTop Member
Impact
I've had more inquiries on dan but more actual sales on afternic.
Same here. Thanks for the insight.
I'm curious if, on Afternic, you simply have only BIN as well. There is the ability to put a minimum price, and when they can start negotiating a final price. That didn't seem to work, so I went to straight BIN for most of my domains, with the minimum the same as the final price.

•••

MrDenton

Top Member
Impact
Yes minimum same as BIN works.

•••

Ste Ven

StevensDomains.comEstablished Member
Impact
Note though that this could affect your status as a trusted seller. There was, at least in the past, the need for five sales before you were given the label.. If there are multiple accounts, it's unclear that you can have that designation across the board, unless each had the required number of sales. That may be worth checking on, before you proceed with splitting the portfolio in to the "niche" collections.
Noted. If each account was treated independently I could see the requirement applying to both.

Thanks

•••
Impact
I am selling more via Afternic, but I prefer to sell via Dan. They charge less commission. I also prefer their website structure etc.

Both are owned by GoDaddy, as you probably know already.

•••

Ste Ven

StevensDomains.comEstablished Member
Impact
Both are owned by GoDaddy, as you probably know already.
You would think that they would mirror the functionality of things that are working on both platforms.
Landing pages for example.

•••

topdom

Top Member
Impact
At Afternic we are dependent on agents. They collect leads at Godaddy, and we can't be sure what will happen next. Those leads can just be ignored before or after a price request.
At Dan, domains don't resolve fast enough. Also people can accept or cancel and offer unknowingly, because the system was designed this way, to let bulk buyers save time; but we are trying to sell to endusers, not to domain investors or agents.
None is good enough. Most possible sales won't be realized, or become victim to lowballing, because of the way all these marketplaces are designed. Why not just make things perfect. Because perfect for us doesn't mean perfect for them , although in theory their profit should be proportional to ours.

•••

LoveCatchyDomains

Daring to LiveTop Member
Impact
You would think that they would mirror the functionality of things that are working on both platforms.
Landing pages for example.
Yes, that would be nice.
Why not have BIN allowed on both Afternic AND Dan? BIN is quoted generally to have a 3x higher likelihood of sale, over the "make offer." This could be an immediate improvement under GoDaddy's leadership.

•••
Impact
I list on Dan and Afternic. The more exposure, the better!

•••
Impact
Yes, that would be nice.
Why not have BIN allowed on both Afternic AND Dan? BIN is quoted generally to have a 3x higher likelihood of sale, over the "make offer." This could be an immediate improvement under GoDaddy's leadership.
I list each my domain with one price on all marketplaces.

•••

Centauri

Established Member
Impact
Isn't it strange.

We have the godaddy/DAN merge since some months now, and still one have to manually list domains there and here...

instead of having the option of syncing.

(Additionally, they should add some possibility to *easily* auctionize confirmed domains).

•••