IT.COM

question DAN vs. Afternic, which is better?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Which domain marketplace got you more sales?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Afternic

votes
    59.3%
  • Dan

votes
    40.7%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
Hi there, I'm considering listing my names at Dan or Afternic. Just was wondering which got you more sales, Afternic or Dan?

Thank you in advance!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Just so you know, you can list/point your domain to the Dan lander AND list it on Afternic. Best of both worlds.

Last edited:
•••
In my opinion, DAN and Afternic are great platforms. I list my names on both, set DAN landers and sell names through the two platforms, but the majority of my sales come from Afternic. There is some room for improvement and changes I would like to see on Afternic, but that’s a different story.

•••
I recorded several sales on Afternic without their landers. Sedo also works good with lander & BIN combination. But Dan is a mystery, no sales.

•••
Dan gives the most offers.

Last edited:
•••
What do you use on Afternic, BIN or make offer?
What do you use on DAN, BIN or make offer?

Just curious

Thanks
For afternic I use NS5 and 6 lander , bin and can talk to an afternic broker, for dan I have tried all sorts, currently bin with option to spread the cost. Until recently I also had make offer as well but it was pointed out previously that it could be giving the buyer too many options and weakens the bin option.

•••
At Afternic we are dependent on agents. They collect leads at Godaddy, and we can't be sure what will happen next. Those leads can just be ignored before or after a price request.
At Dan, domains don't resolve fast enough. Also people can accept or cancel and offer unknowingly, because the system was designed this way, to let bulk buyers save time; but we are trying to sell to endusers, not to domain investors or agents.
None is good enough. Most possible sales won't be realized, or become victim to lowballing, because of the way all these marketplaces are designed. Why not just make things perfect. Because perfect for us doesn't mean perfect for them , although in theory their profit should be proportional to ours.

•••
Isn't it strange.

We have the godaddy/DAN merge since some months now, and still one have to manually list domains there and here...

instead of having the option of syncing.

(Additionally, they should add some possibility to *easily* auctionize confirmed domains).

•••
Afternic sold more domains for me.

•••
Looking at past/recent xyz sales. It looks like afternic is ringing the cash register more often.
List everywhere.

•••
Good luck with your sales!
There is an additional feature with Dan that I really like. You can establish a second account, as long as it is a different email. My preference was to separate out the niche and generic domains into separate accounts. The general domains, relating to dancing, movies, or candlelight, are in one. The other portfolios relate to health and doctor and nurse names. Someone quickly viewing a portfolio would be presented immediately with domains that might be of higher interest.
Dan's flexibility with multiple accounts appears unique. They do seem to be a very innovative company. It's just a shame that they simply still don't seem to have the broad reach that Afternic has.

•••
I am selling more via Afternic, but I prefer to sell via Dan. They charge less commission. I also prefer their website structure etc.

Both are owned by GoDaddy, as you probably know already.

•••
Such a question with regards to sales is more a case of: What did a certain buyer want at a certain time, and which platform did it happen to be on for the sale to be facilitated, than which one is better. Its a question of the timing / situational aspect, and just where it happened to be in that moment, a lot of the time, than being better. IMO

Last edited:
•••
Afternic sold more domains for me.
I'm curious if you used their estimated value for pricing. This is an interesting feature available only on Afternic, not DAN.

•••
I'm curious if you used their estimated value for pricing. This is an interesting feature available only on Afternic, not DAN.
Yes,it's an interesting function, but I use it just as a reference.

•••
What happens if you list on both, and two people try and buy at the same time? could that happen?
You only add a bin on one platform. The one with name servers you use. Make offer on the other.

DAN accepts and payouts in crypto if wanted and has payment plans. Thus far Afternic has neither.

•••
If I have domains listed on Dan and Afternic, plus others, is it better to have all the domains set to Dan landers? I have a mix at the moment but would change them all to DAN if it helps.

Despite all efforts, including lowering prices, I have never had a sale on Dan. If you get 4 sales, think its 4, you get the trusted seller icon which can only help.
That's great that you have the listings on both forums. There appears to be a benefit using the Dan landers, including being able to provide descriptions and having your own Google analytics. However, like you, I've never had a sale with Dan, and even had a sale at a much higher price using Afternic. Perhaps the lack of a trusted icon does impede sales for someone starting out on their marketplace.

•••
If I have domains listed on Dan and Afternic, plus others, is it better to have all the domains set to Dan landers? I have a mix at the moment but would change them all to DAN if it helps.

Despite all efforts, including lowering prices, I have never had a sale on Dan. If you get 4 sales, think its 4, you get the trusted seller icon which can only help.
What do you use on Afternic, BIN or make offer?
What do you use on DAN, BIN or make offer?

Just curious

Thanks

•••
Thanks for that, something to have a think about.

•••
....There is an additional feature with Dan that I really like. You can establish a second account, as long as it is a different email. My preference was to separate out the niche and generic domains into separate accounts...

This is an excellent strategy. Good to know.

•••
This is an excellent strategy. Good to know.
Well, you do have to ask for special permission to do so---at least when I first signed on. The advantage is that someone interested in one type of domains gets to see those types.
Note though that this could affect your status as a trusted seller. There was, at least in the past, the need for five sales before you were given the label.. If there are multiple accounts, it's unclear that you can have that designation across the board, unless each had the required number of sales. That may be worth checking on, before you proceed with splitting the portfolio in to the "niche" collections.

•••
I've had more inquiries on dan but more actual sales on afternic.

•••
Note though that this could affect your status as a trusted seller. There was, at least in the past, the need for five sales before you were given the label.. If there are multiple accounts, it's unclear that you can have that designation across the board, unless each had the required number of sales. That may be worth checking on, before you proceed with splitting the portfolio in to the "niche" collections.
Noted. If each account was treated independently I could see the requirement applying to both.

Thanks

•••
Both are owned by GoDaddy, as you probably know already.
You would think that they would mirror the functionality of things that are working on both platforms.
Landing pages for example.

•••
You would think that they would mirror the functionality of things that are working on both platforms.
Landing pages for example.
Yes, that would be nice.
Why not have BIN allowed on both Afternic AND Dan? BIN is quoted generally to have a 3x higher likelihood of sale, over the "make offer." This could be an immediate improvement under GoDaddy's leadership.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back