Dynadot

Dan or Afternic: Does it really matter to the buyer?

NameSilo
Watch

Reyginus

Established Member
Impact
Afternic (GoDaddy) is bigger and more popular but most domainers I know use Dan's lander. Does it really matter to the buyer and how much? Also, does pointing to Afternic lead to more sales? Trying to experiment but needs some inputs. Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Go with the one that pays out the most. Use your judgement to decide if they have good accountability or not.

•••
Go with the one that pays out the most. Use your judgement to decide if they have good accountability or not.
Thanks but this is not the answer I'm looking for.

•••
but most domainers I know use Dan's lander.

Hi

seems to me that:
if, you believe your own statement above,
then the answer should be Dan

now, if you ask domainers you don't know
then they may tell you something different...

they may say they point to afternic and list on dan too
or list on dan and point to afternic.
or list on sedo and point to bodis
or list on afternic, dan, uni, sedo, voodoo, bodis and point their names to their own website

some may just have their own site and don't list anywhere else.

you can't experiment, unless you do the work.
your names aren't the same as mine, so your results won't be the same
my method is not the same as yours, so our str and roi, per...will not be the same.

others can't tell you what to do, they can only inform you of options.
choice is yours to choose.

imo...

•••
DAN by @DAN.COM

5% self-lead commission, 9% regular,

You guys do afternic’s 20%?!! fee Yikes!

Last edited:
•••
Hi

seems to me that:
if, you believe your own statement above,
then the answer should be Dan

now, if you ask domainers you don't know
then they may tell you something different...

they may say they point to afternic and list on dan too
or list on dan and point to afternic.
or list on sedo and point to bodis
or list on afternic, dan, uni, sedo, voodoo, bodis and point their names to their own website

some may just have their own site and don't list anywhere else.

you can't experiment, unless you do the work.
your names aren't the same as mine, so your results won't be the same
my method is not the same as yours, so our str and roi, per...will not be the same.

others can't tell you what to do, they can only inform you of options.
choice is yours to choose.

imo...
This is very apt. The only way OP can really get the right answer is to test out the different platforms with his domains.

If I have learnt any thing in domaining, it's this: No two names or platforms are the same

•••
DAN by @DAN.COM

5% self-lead commission, 9% regular,

You guys do afternic’s 20%?!! fee Yikes!

It is not apples to apples though.

Besides the commission, the other variable is conversion.

If you forward 1000 names to Dan and also list at afternic without lander, and you do 1% sales at 2000$, your average commission could be around 15% and you would make 20000-3000=17000.

If you use afternic landers with the same price and they do around 1.2% str with 20% commission, you make 24000-4800=19200.

•••
You can test both:
1. One day for Afternic and one day for Dan
2. One week for Afternic and one week for Dan
3. One month for Afternic and one month for Dan
4. One year for Afternic and one year for Dan

•••
You can test both:
1. One day for Afternic and one day for Dan
2. One week for Afternic and one week for Dan
3. One month for Afternic and one month for Dan
4. One year for Afternic and one year for Dan

A better way would be a random split of fair sized portfolio into two and list in each for long enough period (6 month to 12 month depending on portfolio size).

•••
For me Afternic is working way better than Dan, mostly with high XX and low XXX domains. I had all domains pointing to dan and switched to Afternic after they introduced the new buy now landing.

Last edited:
•••
Based on my experience, it doesn't matter which marketplace you use for landing pages as long as it's trustworthy (i.e. it has support options, positive reviews, media coverage, etc). Most end users don't know about the aftermarket.

•••
For me Afternic is working way better than Dan, mostly with high XX and low XXX domains. I had all domains pointing to dan and switched to Afternic after they introduced the new buy now landing.
How did you find afternic's new BIN lander? Any sales?

Last edited:
•••
Based on my experience, it doesn't matter which marketplace you use for landing pages as long as it's trustworthy (i.e. it has support options, positive reviews, media coverage, etc). Most end users don't know about the aftermarket.

They don't know about aftermarket but they do know GoDaddy.
It's undeniable that GoDaddy will be the most well known and trusted name by outsider buyers.

This will ONLY have a positive impact on conversions.
The question is does the impact on conversions make you more profitable VS the sightly lower commissions.

Using my own number of sales as an example 50% comes from Afternic (GD search + partners), 50% from landing pages.
So really the savings in commission is not actually that great. Consider 20%+ AVG 10% landers. Actual saving 5%. You only need small increase in conversions from using GD/Afternic to beat that.

From a $ perspective this year actually even higher in favour of Afternic. So the savings from using a lower commission lander is even lower.

Last edited:
•••
I have a different pricing between dan and afternic.
It's more profitable to sell on afternic at higher price near to 2x

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back