IT.COM

DAN.COM refuse to send $11k payment by BTC

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Sky2

Impact
Hello,

I sold a domain for $11k and I agreed with the buyer to use DAN because they can pay me by bitcoin payment. I contacted Dan support before the buyer sent the funds to make sure they allow bitcoin payout and they confirmed they can pay me by bitcoin. The buyer sent the funds and I transfered the domain to DAN.

DAN escrow manager Simon told me: it's my first transaction on DAN and I can't get paid by bitcoin. They can only send the money by wire transfer.
I told him this is not acceptable for me, the reason I used dan for Escrow because they allow bitcoin payout.

They told me they can send the payment by bitcoin before the buyer sent the funds and It's not written in their FAQ for first transaction payment by wire only. Now they refuse to pay me by bitcoin.

They have the domain and funds since September 16, 2021.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
DAN will have less difficulty making the estimate for domestic customers than for customers and clients from other countries. Every customer, every transaction, every country plays a role in KYC and it happens especially in the Netherlands that companies have to do the estimation while the government should actually do this. For example, the major banks in the Netherlands have hired thousands of people to analyze all our transactions (q=WFT, q=WOT). Partly because this is required by law, but also partly because they would rather be too careful than get a fine. Just so you know.

Last edited:
•••
Bitcoin is a p2p payment method. If you are using Bitcoin for receiving or making payments, you have to keep this in mind. Bitcoin is a p2p, decentralized payment. You have to stay away from centralized marketplaces. Because governments have full control over companies to tax every breathing creature in full and they spend most of the forcefully collected tax monies on what you don't really need such as wars corruption, etc.

Prefer decentralized marketplaces. That is the best solution. Nobody, including governments, can dictate you how you receive or spend your own money. It's your money after all. Nobody can force you on sending documents for a simple money transfer for purchasing or selling something.

•••
I mean it's your choice. If you choose centralized marketplaces, you have to obey their rules. If you don't like their rules stop working with them. It's a very simple choice. They need you. You don't need them.

•••
Use Wise. I live in Kandor, I mean Turkey. Paypal banned here. Crypto payments requires KYC so I trust Wise more than Dan. Request to transfer your money in to your england bank account. After that it's very easy and affordable to withdrawl in your local bank.

•••
•••
Any examples?

openbazaar is one of the best known decentralized marketplaces. There are more, just search on duckduckgo or startpage.

I use openbazaar for selling/buying domains for several years. It may be bit complicated for newbies. it's a software and needs running on your device 24/7 in order the potential buyers to see your listing. It's like ebay, its decentralized version. As there is no centralized server to keep your listing online, you need to host it on your own. Everything is sold there. It has escrow as well. Just download and run. You will not have to obey unfair rules of centralized marketplaces.

Last edited:
•••
openbazaar is one of the best known decentralized marketplaces. There are more, just search on duckduckgo or startpage.

I use openbazaar for selling/buying domains for several years. It may be bit complicated for newbies. it's a software and needs running on your device 24/7 in order the potential buyers to see your listing. It's like ebay, its decentralized version. As there is no centralized server to keep your listing online, you need to host it on your own. Everything is sold there. It has escrow as well. Just download and run. You will not have to obey unfair rules of decentralized marketplaces.

I advise against doing this.

Last edited:
•••
•••
what you don't realize is that my coinbase account is fully verified and taxed
so there is no need at all to give away sensible private data to DAN
just to receive money at coinbase from DAN

Last edited:
•••
@frank-germany

How their system can recognize: where is your wallet???

But I agree, $2K+ KYC per BTC payout is really unfriendly... like for children.

Last edited:
•••
•••
In Ukraine PayPal is limited as well, we can't receive it, only send is allowed.
It is limited by internal PayPal policy, Ukraine has nothing against PayPal.

Last edited:
•••
what you don't realize is that my coinbase account is fully verified and taxed
so there is no need at all to give away sensible private data to DAN
just to receive money at coinbase from DAN

When you convert crypto to fiat yes all exchanges requires kyc. But if you don't need fiat or if you can exchange crypto for fiat via p2p decentralized exchanges, you can bypass kyc. So that's the reason of why some centralized marketplaces require kyc. In fact only financial companies have to collect ID documents after 9/11 attacks and patriot act of the USA.. But some places abuse it. They are potentially forcing their customers in order to steal and sell their identities. So I don't trust and will never go under kyc process unless it's a financial service which provides bank accounts, debit/credit cards, loans, time deposits, etc. Only banking and finance companies have to require kyc. Domain marketplaces are not operating in finance and banking industry, so they can't collect ID's of their customers.

•••
My advise is not to send any sensible documents to any company unless it's clearly a bank or a financial service. Don't do it at all costs. Once your ID documents are sold by hackers or by the company that you obey their rules just to sell or buy domains or something else, you can never know what will happen to you in the future. It's very very dangerous IMO.

Banking and finance companies have to collect ID document. But they also have to make sure your documents are safe and will never be sold. As other companies do not have to do kyc, they don't have to care about the ID documents that you send them.

Last edited:
•••
Back