Dynadot

DAN.com outrageous fees?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lord Antares

Top Member
Impact
Hi all.

Just been awarded the 5 year forum membership trophy. I've been away from domaining doing other projects.

At the same time, I got an offer on DAN for a parked domain name which has a sale lander at the top.

He offered $1k but immediately accepted my $3500 counter offer.

DAN sends me I will be receiving $2441.25

Does anybody still use this platform? As soon as I heard they were going to be bought by godaddy, I knew this would happen.

That was the entire point of DAN (undeveloped.com then). They just provide a lander for a low commission.
They had jack all to do with this sale, yet happily took 30% commission. Bodis brought the lead here.

So what's going on lately? Are there any new options now? Any site which follows the philosophy of what DAN used to be? Anything not GD related? Maybe self hosting is the way to go nowadays?

Thanks all, I am glad for my 5 years on this forum though.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
How are you going to control that? (AN/Dan) Not sure that would fly.
If I set BIN to my Custom Lander to say $5k, and I get an offer on DAN listing, there I'll only accept a sum that'll be $5K after deducting their 25% cut.

However, if the client is clever enough to go through my Custom Lander, instead of the listings on Afternic/DAN, then the client would have to pay much less.

Either way, I end up getting $5k.

Last edited:
•••
It's Dandaddy now , the reality is all the fake kind words from the domain industry leaders hold no morals as they sell out and shut down anyone to get ahead.

•••
For anyone saying "it's still 15% for gd landers", keep in mind it's still like 18% for Europeans which is a 100% increase from good old DAN.com

I will look into Daaz; the alternatives I can think of are slim to none.

•••
For anyone saying "it's still 15% for gd landers", keep in mind it's still like 18% for Europeans which is a 100% increase from good old DAN.com
To be exact, it used to be 9% * 1.21 = 10.89% in the old model, with VAT* on DAN's service fee included.

In the new model this is 15% * 1.21 = 18.15%.

That's an increase of 67%, which is huge indeed.

*VAT charged on DAN's service fee is only applicable for EU sellers.

Last edited:
•••
I understand where the extra 5.25% is coming from now.

Surely, there must be better alternatives out there in 2023. To pay 30% for what was basically just escrow is unacceptable.

I guess self hosting is the way to go now.
I'm with you there, but... your own payment/checkout system is hard to trust. No one is throwing X,xxx at a random site. Dan has the reputation.

The best other alternative is to Escrow.com it, but then again, that's harder because the buyer can't just pay instantly.

•••
I'm with you there, but... your own payment/checkout system is hard to trust. No one is throwing X,xxx at a random site. Dan has the reputation.

The best other alternative is to Escrow.com it, but then again, that's harder because the buyer can't just pay instantly.

No one is supposed to throw money at a random site. Obviously, the transactions would go through Escrow.

•••
Don't forget Sedo are now offering a flat 10% commission (including escrow services) for domains pointing to Sedo nameservers providing the domain is listed at a fixed price only. Wont apply if you opt-in to the Sedo sales network and the sale then originates through those linked services. You can not add or list as 'Make offer'

Again you will have to factor in the VAT on the commission. if applicable. It still seems to be one of the lowest commission rates. The service is not really doing anything apart from hosting a sales page and acting as an escrow. Which is the way all sales sites would love to cheaply earn from your domains. At least Sedo reflect that in their lower 10% commission and of course it is trusted by buyers

Last edited:
•••
Don't forget Sedo are now offering a flat 10% commission (including escrow services) for domains pointing to Sedo nameservers providing the domain is listed at a fixed price only. Wont apply if you opt-in to the Sedo sales network and the sale then originates through those linked services. You can not add 'Make offer'

Again you will have to factor in the VAT on the commission. if applicable. It still seems to be one of the lowest commission rates. The service is not really doing anything apart from hosting a sales page and acting as an escrow. Which is the way all sales sites would love to cheaply earn from your domains. At least Sedo reflect that in their lower 10% commission.
I honestly hope they steal market share from DAN, but DAN is the anti-Sedo; that is to say; DAN looks nice cleaner on the eyes; and uploading is a breeze.

Sedo direct auctions are a flat 15% with starting bid $59. Thank GOD!! Auction prices’ improving.

I’m starting to have hope in Sedo, which you’ve brought to my attention. I’m surprised their auctions only cost 15% commis and no more paying to list auction. Yay! https://sedo.com/us/sell-domains/domain-auction/

Makes sense Sedo’s non-auction is flat 10%. Interesting!

Last edited:
•••
I’m starting to have hope in Sedo,
Indeed, they do seem to be trying to fill that cheaper sales vacuum, abandoned by Dan since the Goddaddy takeover. You just have to be aware of the conditions attached. you can still list elsewhere (at the relevant sites commission) but, the nameservers must be Sedo to get the 10% rate through them.

I've never felt confident enough to put any of my domains through an action process ever. I'd hate to see any go for a pittance. Mind you I've always worked with so called Brandables, never the best (meaning a disaster) for auction prices at anytime.

Last edited:
•••
I see more and more people going the self hosted route especially with domains that bring their own traffic or their own self marketing. It may cost a little upfront but these commissions can be way to expensive in the long run.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back