Dynadot

Dan.com has just killed itself

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Joining with outdated and slow GoDaddy was not the best choice, but now Dan.com (or whatever is left of it) went even further

There can be several negative consequences when domain brokers increase their fees:

1. Higher costs for domain buyers: If domain brokers increase their fees, it can lead to higher costs for individuals or businesses looking to purchase a domain. This can be particularly detrimental for small businesses or individuals with limited budgets.
  2. Reduced demand for domains: Higher fees may discourage some potential buyers from purchasing a domain, leading to a reduction in demand. This could have a negative impact on the domain market as a whole.
  3. Alternative options: Higher fees may encourage some potential buyers to consider alternative options, such as using a different top-level domain (TLD) or purchasing a domain from a different provider. This could lead to a loss of business for domain brokers.
  4. Negative reputation: If domain brokers significantly increase their fees, it could lead to a negative reputation for the company, which could discourage future business.
Dan.com was a nice, progressive brand once…

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Joining with outdated and slow GoDaddy was not the best choice, but now Dan.com (or whatever is left of it) went even further

There can be several negative consequences when domain brokers increase their fees:
Are you actually talking about domain marketplaces? Domain brokerage is a separate feature from the domain marketplace. If you are referring to their brokerages, I have not heard that the brokerage services are increasing the fees at this point. Have you heard otherwise?
The brokerage service tends to be a much smaller portion of the marketplaces business, although sometimes one wonders how much the brokerage gets involved with the actual marketplace sales.

•••
The problem with Dan joining the GD 15% brigade is that it was created to be a low-cost marketplace with few amenities and a do-it-yourself design where the domain investor performed a lot of the work. There were other niggles like the 4% Paypal surcharge at $2K+ (which is not present on GD, Afternic or Uni), but these were mitigated by the low 9% commission charge.

Dan was designed to be a "Discount Marketplace" where you don't expect the level of service you'd get at 15-20%... but now that everyone is at 15%, it really makes me wonder exactly how Dan fits into the overall structure.

Last edited:
•••
I personally have also had terrible experiences with Dan's support team.

They have their European team handling US inquiries so you have to wake up early in the US to get that team on the phone & can't get anything done on Fridays.

When you wake up early to call or chat they refuse to transfer you to their payment verification or transfer team, and you are unable to contact any team members who can actually assist with transferring your domain via live chat or email.

High fees and garbage support

•••
lol u all whine for nothing ...most used and use dan for add lead... 5percent.. was and is... sales direct from dan market are almost null ... unlike gd market and even a craphole like sedo.. and yes some used dan for lander too but there are 8383884 other options.. so... kids... remember dan equal add lead.. it's all u do there. if they increase the 5percent they fade slow death... but they know that...why u think it's still 5.

•••
I like Dan but as others have said the increased commission is a bit annoying. I think they still do the 5% if you bring the seller to the platform but if you had contact direct, you'd just use escrow.com

Only benefit with the acquisition/merger with GoDaddy is being able to list across the GD range automatically but even that's annoying as currently one of my domains is in auction at GD, yet I never put it there. Dan did 🙄

•••
Only benefit with the acquisition/merger with GoDaddy is being able to list across the GD range automatically but even that's annoying as currently one of my domains is in auction at GD, yet I never put it there. Dan did 🙄

That sounds like a pretty serious issue. Are you sure that it is an actual auction, or simply one of their 90d listings that has a minimum offer of $20. The latter might be a glitch in their GD auction/listings database.

Is was surprised to have domains show up for sale there, despite having no listings across ANY of the GD platforms.

Please update us after you hear from GD customer service.

Last edited:
•••
That sounds like a pretty serious issue. Are you sure that it is an actual auction, or simply one of their 90d listings that has a minimum offer of $20. The latter might be a glitch in their GD auction/listings database.

Is was surprised to have domains show up for sale there, despite having no listings across ANY of the GD platforms.

My bad. I meant the 90 day, although it doesn't start anywhere near $20 😅

•••
My bad. I meant the 90 day, although it doesn't start anywhere near $20 😅
Thanks for the clarification. Glad to hear that the price isn't that incredibly low. That would be potentially a hindrance for your real sale platform. If you have it listed elsewhere for a much higher price, but someone checks GD and sees the $20 minimum, odds are they would put the bid on GD on this fake listing.

Was it ever listed before there?

Rather than a fraudulent seller trying to the list the domain there for sale, it's possible that it is a database issue related to some previous listing inadvertently revived.

Hopefully, customer support can provide a rapid resolution to this.

•••
Thanks for the clarification. Glad to hear that the price isn't that incredibly low. That would be potentially a hindrance for your real sale platform. If you have it listed elsewhere for a much higher price, but someone checks GD and sees the $20 minimum, odds are they would put the bid on GD on this fake listing.

Was it ever listed before there?

Rather than a fraudulent seller trying to the list the domain there for sale, it's possible that it is a database issue related to some previous listing inadvertently revived.

Hopefully, customer support can provide a rapid resolution to this.

Since I've put it on Dan, I've noticed it's come up on a few places which I haven't done.

The price is high high so it doesn't really concern me. It's not a name you just buy. It's one someone will make an enquiry so the publicity is fine by me.

•••
Since I've put it on Dan, I've noticed it's come up on a few places which I haven't done.

The price is high high so it doesn't really concern me. It's not a name you just buy. It's one someone will make an enquiry so the publicity is fine by me.
The potential helpfulness of these unauthorized listings, providing more "publicity," is highly questionable.

If someone first sees the lower price on another marketplace, is it possible that that would lower their expectation of your final price?

Also, if they proceed to try to buy the domain with one of the fake listings, and find that it was a fraudulent seller, do you think that will improve your chances of a sale? Isn't it possible that, once "burned," that potential buyer would be far more hesitant to use any of the marketplaces?

Is it possible they might even start wondering why you didn't know about the fake listings elsewhere and do something about it to prevent the problematic transaction?

This is a slippery slope, I suspect.

Don't you deserve to have full control over the placement and pricing of your domains in these marketplaces? Did you ask for those unexpected listing to be removed, so you could place your own legitimately?

Some points to ponder....

•••
The potential helpfulness of these unauthorized listings, providing more "publicity," is highly questionable.

If someone first sees the lower price on another marketplace, is it possible that that would lower their expectation of your final price?

Also, if they proceed to try to buy the domain with one of the fake listings, and find that it was a fraudulent seller, do you think that will improve your chances of a sale? Isn't it possible that, once "burned," that potential buyer would be far more hesitant to use any of the marketplaces?

Is it possible they might even start wondering why you didn't know about the fake listings elsewhere and do something about it to prevent the problematic transaction?

This is a slippery slope, I suspect.

Don't you deserve to have full control over the placement and pricing of your domains in these marketplaces? Did you ask for those unexpected listing to be removed, so you could place your own legitimately?

Some points to ponder....

Those listings are being shown either through sedo mls or Dan's network. GD has decided to do a 90 day listing which I suspect is through dan. However it's a 7 figure domain on any platform so it doesn't concern me too much as at that level, price is negotiable anyway.

I get your point though and mostly agree.

•••
Those listings are being shown either through sedo mls or Dan's network. GD has decided to do a 90 day listing which I suspect is through dan. However it's a 7 figure domain on any platform so it doesn't concern me too much as at that level, price is negotiable anyway.

I get your point though and mostly agree.
There was a comment at one point that all Afternic listings also get listed on the GD marketplace. So, is it possible that now all DAN listings are also showing there? If the price there is similar to your DAN price, maybe that is the explanation?

And since you want the exposure, it's perhaps worth asking GD further, to make certain you have your actual listing there.

Good luck with selling the domain. Sounds like you have a hot domain!

•••
Back