IT.COM

DAN.COM Domain Marketplace (Official Thread)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DAN.COM

Domain MarketplaceTop Member
Dan.com Staff
Impact
DAN.COM (formerly known as Undeveloped.com) is on a path to be become the biggest domain marketplace in the world. We use state of the art technology to solve everyday problems buyers and sellers in the domain industry face. At DAN.COM we focus on automating most processes required to buy & sell domains to increase a more efficient and active secondary market for domains.

What sets us apart is our strong focus on product development and customer satisfaction. We leave nothing to chance and every single feature and element we introduce is professionally and carefully designed and built.

DAN.COM is ranked in the top 5 best-rated marketplaces in the world (According to the biggest review platform Trustpilot) and in the domain industry, we're the domain marketplace with the highest rating with an average of 9,4 out of 10 points.

At DAN.COM you will get the highest value for the lowest commission around. Due to our domain transfer automation, we can offer significantly faster handling of domain transactions and payouts (usually within 24 hours) at the lowest fee charged by any domain marketplace.

We've been the first on many fronts and proudly will continue to keep innovating. We were the first to offer optimized for sale pages since 2013, the first to provide payment plans in the form of lease to own and rentals and also the first and only domain marketplace offering free SSL on all domains parked with us for over a year now.

Read more about DAN and our future plans here: https://blog.undeveloped.com/a-big-leap-forward-3a3cc59ed418

This thread is created to act as an informal communication board between the DAN team and the domain community. Feel free to post feedback here and to discuss how you use DAN.

What this thread is not meant for is support. Please contact our support team here: [email protected] when you need assistance.

Previous reviews under old brand: https://www.namepros.com/threads/undeveloped-com-experience.893201/

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I am quite disappointed to recently discover DAN is ranking NON-EXACT match names ahead of EXACT-MATCH. Making it even more disturbing is in the cases I have seen lately the favored non-exact name was also a BuyDomains listing :xf.frown:

A few more or less random examples (I am sure there are tons of others) are 'wrap' and 'money matters' and 'stock market' where 'wrape' and 'emoneymatters' and 'stockmarketz' (all BD domains) are top-ranked in front of the exact matches!

Since I cannot imagine why that would happen and it makes no sense it could be happening it makes me wonder if buydomains,com is possibly compensating dan.com for favorable top placements?

There's absolutely no excuse for it or a valid reason a platform could possibly rank a non-exact match name ahead of the exact-match. This is extremely negative for dan.com >:(

P.S. Check it on your own names from a different browser, without a cookie and NOT logged-in to your account because I think DAN is not necessarily doing it if it knows it's you doing the search.

Last edited:
•••
Has Dan.com become the go to for low ballers and fake buyers/offers?

I post this after having literally dozens of fake buyers (non-payments) and a steady stream of lowball offers where buyers are not willing to negotiate a reasonable price for a name.

Is this happening to others?

low ballers
not reacting to arguments
is common

•••
low ballers
not reacting to arguments
is common

It would,be hard for DAN to beat Dynadot where I have lots of 2 figure offers, i.e. $50 on a 10k name etc. There's so many of them I don't bother to look at them anymore.

Dynadot refuses to allow a minimum offer after asking several times for the feature. At least DAN does minimums. Does anyone know the logic in Dynadot not permitting sellers to post a Marketplace minimum?

Last edited:
•••
Good morning all,

Our search algorithm is based on data we have gathered throughout the years. It is focused on the buyer behavior we have experienced and analyzed with the main intention to stimulate sales. We would not implement it of it was not backed by actual data.

@namemarket, I have noticed some deviations in your observations that I would like to clarify. Within the examples of "stock market" search results, for example, you indicate that StockMarketz is displayed over a direct hit. However, the result generated is a .com extension which is proven to be the most desired extension when it comes to purchases. The only deviation with the direct search result would be the "Z" and therefore StockMarketz.com is displayed as the best-ranking match.

With regards to the assumption that BuyDomains.com is compensating us for a better ranking, this is wrong. BuyDomains.com listed a small 1 million domain names with us. The chance of ending up with one of their domains is quite significant due to that. No additional payments are made for a better ranking. Even though we have received many inquiries to do this we believe all sellers at DAN.COM should receive the maximum amount of exposure and we aim to realize that.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Have a great day!

•••
I have just completed another very easy and smooth transaction with DAN - Imported Lead.

Also thanks to a very fast payment from the buyer, my money was disbursed in 1 HOUR FROM WHEN I IMPORTED THE LEAD!!!!

I am beyond impressed; Undeveloped was good, DAN, thanks to a few tweaking in the process, is GREAT! And thanks to the option to import our own leads with much lower fees there is really no reason for anyone to use PayPal ever again.

Congratulations, you are doing an awesome job!!!

•••
@namemarket, I have noticed some deviations in your observations that I would like to clarify. Within the examples of "stock market" search results, for example, you indicate that StockMarketz is displayed over a direct hit. However, the result generated is a .com extension which is proven to be the most desired extension when it comes to purchases. The only deviation with the direct search result would be the "Z" and therefore StockMarketz.com is displayed as the best-ranking match. With regards to the assumption that BuyDomains.com is compensating us for a better ranking, this is wrong. BuyDomains.com listed a small 1 million domain names with us. The chance of ending up with one of their domains is quite significant due to that. No additional payments are made for a better ranking. Even though we have received many inquiries to do this we believe all sellers at DAN.COM should receive the maximum amount of exposure and we aim to realize that. Hope this clarifies the situation. Have a great day!

No, far from clarifying it what you are saying makes the matter worse. First, you revealing a strong bias and blatant discrimination against dot-org and some other tlds so a non-exact match dot-com ranks better vs exact match dot-org which is very disturbing. So maybe I should dump all my non-com tlds since they cannot rank where they should in your search and be harder to sell. Is that what you are implying?

And BTW, I was not born yesterday and not a new domainer. After hours of research and looking at lots of DAN search results I see very clear evidence you strongly favor BuyDomains and also Non-Exact Match names. Why would you do that if not for some type of compensation? It makes no sense.

search word BANE

BaneB.com
Listed by BuyDomains
Bane.us
Listed by someone else
Bane.in
Listed by by someone else
Bane.io
Banea.com

someone looking for the specific name 'Bane' does not care about non-exact match Baneb.
------------

search word Communication Technology

TechnologyCommunication.com
Listed by BuyDomains
CommunicationTechnology.com
TechnologyCommunications.com
Listed by BuyDomains
communicationstechnology.net
Listed by BuyDomains
telecommunicationstechnology.com
Listed by BuyDomains

hmmm, 4 of 5 and #1 all BD names. P.S. a company named Communication Technology doesn't care about anon-exact backwards name of technology communication
--------

search word money matters

Emoneymatters.com
Listed by BuyDomains
moneymatters.nu
moneymatters.best
MoneyMatters.xyz
MoneyMatters.org
moneymatters.info
MoneyMatters.us

why would non-exact match Emoneymatters be #1 when exact-match moneymatters.org is obviously so much better. in fact, why would the little known and almost worthless .NU ext be so high?
---------------

search word Fresno

fresno.NL
Listed by Sonexo B.V.
ifresno.com
Listed by BuyDomains
fresno.biz
fresno.men
fresno.news
fresno.dentist
fresno.us

hmmm an NL name is #1 and a non-exact match buydomains name #-2. Very odd to say the least. And why would a search from a US IP address rank a less relevant NL country code #1 when Fresno.US is a large important USA city. I have also seen a number of other similar situations whee the far less relevant .NL names or NL based owners rank #1 or much higher than it appears they should. And why rank a non-exact ifresno higher vs so many exact matches?
------------

I am now thinking a reason I get so few inquiries via DAN.com is because my names are being out-ranked by your favorites such as BD domains, NL names, dot-com (vs other tlds), and of course the big one the NON-EXACT match rankings.

There is NO WAY TO POSSIBLY JUSTIFY all of that and I am extremely disappointed and disturbed about it especially since in the past I was a good supporter posting about your platform, which I now regret doing after discovering this week your systems incredible bias and very apparent obvious discrimination against many of my domains and the names of other NS members.

P.S. To NP Members... Check it on your own names from a different browser and be sure a cookie is not being used, and you are NOT logged-in to your account because I think DAN is not necessarily doing it if it knows it's you doing the search but am not positive about it,

Last edited:
•••
Dan should really integrate with ExpiredDomains.net.

That would be awesome for us domainers and will boost sales.

•••
Thank you for your detailed answer to @namemarket concerns @LaszloSchenk but I would like to ask you to consider the following with respect to this comment.
However, the result generated is a .com extension which is proven to be the most desired extension when it comes to purchases.
There is no doubt about your statement re .com and sales. But if the potential client wants to restrict their search to .com, they can trivially do that by checking the .com, .net or .org box that is right there on the left. So why, if they have not clicked one of those, do you feel it is necessary to give preference to a longer inexact match with .com over a direct match in something other than .com? But as I explain below, the real issue is not that you give preference but your platform totally omits exact match results as I explain below.

On the one hand you say you give priority to the TLD in the case of .com and demonstrating results, but on the other hand you seem to totally ignore it when a search is made (I brought this point up some long time ago, maybe a year and a half). To demonstrate this I have the domain name guaranteed.best listed on your platform but if I do a search on [guaranteed best] in DAN surely it would make sense to show the user that the exact domain name guaranteed.best is available, along with other choices. I don't have a problem with guaranteedbest.com being shown first, but I do have a problem that guaranteed.best does not appear at all in the search results. For example, b e s t r e f u n d g u a r a n t e e d (in .com) makes the list but guaranteed.best does not make the result list anywhere when the search is for 'guaranteed best' (with or without the space).

I ask again (as I did 18 months or so ago) - take into account both the TLD and the term to left of the dot in your search.

Also you say that you give priority based on research analysis, which is great, but I believe your research shows that domains with BIN prices have a higher chance of sale, but you don't seem to apply that in your ordering of search results. Why are some research results taken into account but not others?

I want to stress that overall I like DAN/Undeveloped a lot. You have a clean interface, allow nice presentation of names in your landers, build trust with lander content and speed of transfer, allow payment plans, are forward looking in applying new technologies, etc.

I simply ask that you alter your search to take into account that matches across the dot are important, and I suspect many potential customers are missing names they would have an interest in.

Thank you for considering these points.

Bob

Last edited:
•••
To demonstrate that it does not need to be this way I placed advisors.best on all three of Afternic, Sedo and DAN (BIN price only at DAN). I then did a search on "advisorsbest" on all three platforms. Here are the results (in all cases NOT signed into account and cache cleared):
  • Sedo -- advisors.best is first in list of suggested results
  • Afternic -- advisors.best is second in list of suggested results
  • DAN -- advisors.best does not show up anywhere in the search results at all

There is a serious problem with exact match domain names being found at DAN. They simply will not be found. Your names will ONLY be found by either someone looking exactly for it i.e. realizing there is an extension by that name and searching for advisors.best or from typing it in as an URL and your lander pointed to DAN.

Note that this is not unique to DAN. For example it appears to me that Epik similarly ignore exact match in their marketplace - e.g. I have baked.best listed with them but if I search on bakedbest nothing shows up. @Rob Monster

Note that this is not just a new extension issue. I have the domain name nanoscale.info listed at DAN but if I search for nanoscaleinfo it does not show up even though it is a totally logical response to that search. If for example you have a domain name where the net was a logical part of the word, someone searching for the exact word with net as part of word without period would not find it.

This needs to be finally fixed. Sedo and Afternic seem to have mastered it. There is no reason why DAN cannot.

Thank you,

Bob

Edit When I repeated the test next day it was lower than number 2 on Afternic but still first page. Sedo still had it number 1. DAN will never show it even if it is an exact match. And that is the issue. A domain name that uses the two sides of the dot to exactly express what was searched for should be listed.

Last edited:
•••
However, the result generated is a .com extension which is proven to be the most desired extension when it comes to purchases.
But if you place .com results at the top, and don't show direct match anywhere in results even when they are exactly the two terms the searcher was looking for, isn't your 'research' biased to produce only this result?

Bob

Last edited:
•••
But if you place .com results at the top, and don't show direct match anywhere in results even when they are exactly the two terms the searcher was looking for, isn't your 'research' biased to produce only this result? Bob

The-top dot-com bias can make even less sense because the top .com instead of being the searched for exact-match (desired in .org or other tlds) can often be misspelled or have added letters or made-up words like stockmarketz and ewhatever etc and even backwards reversed word orders. I have seen numerous examples. And what with the admitted heavy bias to dot-com it sure seems to detract from values of the newer tlds which someone may actually desire over .com

Last edited:
•••
Just spent a lot more time searching DAN for some of my domains (not logged-in with no cookies) and other domainer names. One name I listed long ago on DAN is Victoria.us which does not show up anywhere on first page of your search results unless the tld is added by the one doing the search.

However, it is entirely possible the girl named Victoria is not looking for a specific tld but simply any name which sounds good and with a reasonable and known extension and a fair price. If you are a girl named Victoria and you are in US the name Victortia,us makes good sense, right? So if you see it you may want to make an offer.

The strange search results below appear when searching for the word VICTORIA?

Why would someone from a US IP address (me) be interested in an .AMSTERDAM extension. Why would a girl named Victoria in the US or anywhere else for that matter possibly want these non-exact names even if free such as Victoriai or Victoriaf or Victoriaj? It makes zero sense.

BTW, does anyone know there is an extension called FRI (I was not aware of it until now) also interesting FRLregistry BV is also a Netherlands extension! And what about the little known extensions like MARKETING LEGAL ECO and NEWS .

This one is just one of numerous examples of nonsensical search results and discrimination and also another example of your blatant favoritism. I see an obvious heavy bias favoring BuyDomains.com domains (across numerous searches not just Victoria), even if they are NON-exact match. i.e. below you see 3 of top 4 are BD names and also not exact matches, with Amsterdam being at top.

My many searches also reveal you rank Netherlands related extensions NL and Amsterdam and FRL (or names owned by residents of your nation) at or near the top but why? Making it even stranger is you recommend using a buy now price yet you often rank names with no BIN set to Make Offer only near the top or way ahead of BIN priced names.

By a coincidence, a perfect example of showing a non-priced #1 name is Victoria.amsterdam

-----------------------------------

victoria.amsterdam
Listed by dotAmsterdam BV
no price

victoriai.com
Listed by BuyDomains
$1,088

victoriaf.com
Listed by BuyDomains
$2,988

victoriaj.com
Listed by BuyDomains
$4,588

victoria.frl
Listed by FRLregistry BV
no price

V.
victoria.la
Listed by Vip Domains .LA
no price

HD
VICTORIA.MARKETING
installments-option-495997ef9ddf96b00a28be8dba01b9eae86e6295c87ca94a0ef844824d249f9d.svg

Listed by HSCA Domains
$4,999

HD
victoria.legal
installments-option-495997ef9ddf96b00a28be8dba01b9eae86e6295c87ca94a0ef844824d249f9d.svg

Listed by HSCA Domains
$9,999

victoria.eco

Listed by .eco
$699

PR
victoria.news
Listed by Premium.domains

Last edited:
•••
It would,be hard for DAN to beat Dynadot where I have lots of 2 figure offers, i.e. $50 on a 10k name etc. There's so many of them I don't bother to look at them anymore.

Dynadot refuses to allow a minimum offer after asking several times for the feature. At least DAN does minimums. Does anyone know the logic in Dynadot not permitting sellers to post a Marketplace minimum?

No disrespect to Dynadot, but there is no logic to that. You should be allowed to set a min so as not to waste your time or the buyer.

•••
I am noticing today but it's the first time I checked in awhile, other names are not showing when you click someone's link or at the bottom of a parked page where it says other domains from this person, is this just a glitch? Others getting that? I just clicked one of the BuyDomains names NameMarket linked to and it shows 0 when clicking their name too.

•••
I am noticing today but it's the first time I checked in awhile, other names are not showing when you click someone's link or at the bottom of a parked page where it says other domains from this person, is this just a glitch? Others getting that? I just clicked one of the BuyDomains names NameMarket linked to and it shows 0 when clicking their name too.
I just checked now and that is happening for me too. Must be some issue.

•••
@LaszloSchenk
how your system select domain in popular domains of the week?
is it automated or handpicked?
Thanks

•••
An NP member has said he thinks it's possible DAN mainly gives preference to ones listed a long time on Dan.com so it moves up (but he was not sure).

It may or may not be correct but anyway If it's valid I have a big issues with it. Why in the world would DAN code their system to give bias favoring how long listed for sale on Dan? How long listed for sale means absolutely nothing as far as name value goes. How could it possibly be a factor?

Would a semi-worthless domain listed 2 years ago be more valuable vs a real true premium name listed for sale on DAN last week? Of course not.

So if DAN is indeed doing that in its search algorithm it speaks wonders about the intelligence of management who would desire it to be included in the code.

Last edited:
•••
Why you focus on this matter???
These searches are mostly used by another domainers like you...
Endusers visit the necessary domain directly.

I can say even more: searchbox works against your success...
Because endusers see your competitors as well.

•••
Dan have done wonders automating the transfer process.
They also set standards for elegant landers that build trust.

So here is my challenge to DAN/Undeveloped - build the world's best marketplace search experience! @LaszloSchenk

I think the average potential client has an unsatisfying experience with search at the main marketplaces. There are too many options presented in a way without clarity. I think an automated robotic interface could do much better.

Why not start with asking them just a few questions (with well selected text to provide only strongly relevant background on each).
  1. Are they only interested in com? If they say yes, prioritize .com If they say no, explore more
  2. Are they looking for a regional name? If so ask the country or countries. If they say yes, put domain names from that country code top, if not don't show them at all in first stage search results.
  3. Are they hoping for an exact match to a phrase? If so what are the important words in that phrase. They should in first pass be only shown words that match that phrase across the dot, and then some close matches such as plural/singular etc.
  4. What is their price range? They should be shown first domain names with a BIN in their price range. Shown others, but first ones in price range.
  5. Are they looking for an instalment purchase? If so prioritize domain names with plans. Same rental.
  6. What is their niche? This is more important than the exact words, perhaps. Like is it AI? Is it banking? And force each lister to choose from keyword niches used by the bot.
  7. Are they looking for brandable or generic? And text that shows what those terms mean.
  8. Is search volume important? Not sure how to simply word this.
  9. Is length of domain important, and if so what is the maximum length?
I have probably forgotten a few, but I would not make it too complicated. Make the experience feel personal, even add some text around the results. Like this name is slightly over your price range, but we feel fits your parameters well. Or these domain names exactly match the term you are looking for. Etc. Robotic but with a personal feel.

It should also have a statement that the bot named Darlene (or something Dan complementary) will genuinely prioritize according to the user requests, and no one can buy a higher placement.

What say you?

Bob

ps Not to be exclusive, but this is DAN's thread, but @Rob Monster and @namesilo and @Joe Styler and @Macit and @Sedo, why not an industry leaders race to make the best search in the domain world?

Last edited:
•••
....endusers see your competitors as well.

Thanks for your opinion. What you said is actually a reason I am focused on the matter. If the end-users see competitors on the list and I am not in the top-10 or low down, they may be inclined to inquire on someone else's name instead of my exact match.

•••
Has Dan.com become the go to for low ballers and fake buyers/offers?

I post this after having literally dozens of fake buyers (non-payments) and a steady stream of lowball offers where buyers are not willing to negotiate a reasonable price for a name.

Is this happening to others?
Yes, this is the only result I got at UD for 1 year of its usage in full (listing+parking) with mid xx domains (test pattern).

So just their escrow has benefits for me in some scenarios.

•••
Dan have done wonders automating the transfer process. They also set standards for elegant landers that build trust.

So here is my challenge to DAN/Undeveloped - build the worlds best marketplace search experience. @LaszloSchenk

I think the average potential client has an unsatisfying experience with search at the main marketplaces. There are too many options presented in a way without clarity. I think an automated robotic interface could do much better.

Why not start with asking them just a few questions (with well selected text to provide only strongly relevant background on each).
  1. Are they only interested in com? If they say yes, prioritize .com If they say no, explore more
  2. Are they looking for a regional name? If so ask the country or countries. If they say yes, put domain names from that country code top, if not don't show them at all in first stage search results.
  3. Are they hoping for an exact match to a phrase? If so what are the important words in that phrase. They should in first pass be only shown words that match that phrase across the dot, and then some close matches such as plural/singular etc.
  4. What is their price range? They should be shown first domain names with a BIN in their price range. Shown others, but first ones in price range.
  5. Are they looking for an instalment purchase? If so prioritize domain names with plans. Same rental.
  6. What is their niche? This is more important than the exact words, perhaps. Like is it AI? Is it banking? And force each lister to choose from keyword niches used by the bot.
  7. Are they looking for brandable or generic? And text that shows what those terms mean.
  8. Is search volume important? Not sure how to simply word this.
  9. Is length of domain important, and if so what is the maximum length?
I have probably forgotten a few, but I would not make it too complicated. Make the experience feel personal, even add some text around the results. Like this name is slightly over your price range, but we feel fits your parameters well. Or these domain names exactly match the term you are looking for. Etc. Robotic but with a personal feel.

It should also have a statement that the bot named Darlene (or something Dan complementary) will genuinely prioritize according to the user requests, and no one can buy a higher placement.

What say you?

Bob

ps Not to be exclusive, but this is DAN's thread, but @Rob Monster and @namesilo and @Joe Styler and @Macit and @Sedo, why not an industry leaders race to make the best search in the domain world?

Thanks! That would be incredibly good and if it was implemented whoever did it could dominate the business.

Last edited:
•••
That would be incredibly good and if it was implemented whoever did it could dominate the business.
Precisely.

The US 50 years ago successfully landed men on the moon, and returned them safely, using computational power less than the most basic smart phone of four years ago. And we can't create a simplified user-focussed domain search experience?

I think it not only would allow whoever did it first to have a big advantage, but overall it would significantly expand the domain aftermarket. Too many possible clients are overwhelmed, confused, aggravated, or have no trust in the current system and as a result the vast majority are not buying any domain at all. They hand-register or use a service like Wix without their own second level domain name, or social media pages.

Think of the analytics which would be available from the searches too. Most people are looking for a domain name in this price range, the space sharing niche is really strong lately, and they don't care about length but they would like .... Intelligence is power.

Think how easy Google make it to navigate from point A to B with any constraints you want (I want it by bicycle, public transit, arrive at this time, etc.). We need that ease for finding a domain name along with trustworthy fast transfer and easy steps to go from owning the domain name to a web presence.

Bob

•••
Sedo ranking is also very bad...
They prefer to show various 2/3word .COMs and .COM synonyms HIGHER than 1word (exact match) domains in another TLDs...

•••
Back