Dynadot

Custom Whypark sites

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Just wondering if any of you guys have built custom sites on why park. Is it possible to use an IDE (like dreamweaver) to add my custom content, or do I have to just edit the code? :gl:

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Thanks Gilsan for your support, and I like your color changes, makes it much easier to read. I can't comprehend all the templates, on Whypark and elsewhere, that have text that is nearly impossible to read? Is that a technique for tricking people into clicking in the darkness, or just bad design? Any thoughts on designs in general for Adsense sites? Does a whole page of blended text work better than a site that looks like a "real" site with clearly delineated ads?

•••
nscoville said:
Thanks Gilsan for your support, and I like your color changes, makes it much easier to read. I can't comprehend all the templates, on Whypark and elsewhere, that have text that is nearly impossible to read? Is that a technique for tricking people into clicking in the darkness, or just bad design? Any thoughts on designs in general for Adsense sites? Does a whole page of blended text work better than a site that looks like a "real" site with clearly delineated ads?

Thanks nscoville. I just think that WhyPark has very dull looking templates and for that reason I decided to change the colours but especially the size of the text which I feel (just like you do) is very small. I know that I personally have a little dificulty in reading small text and I've also seen on many occasions peaple complaining of the same. So I imagine there must be millions of peaple around the world who feel the same way.

As for the other questions I think it would be better for someone else to give their expert opinion as I'm still an aprentice in this business and am unsure myself about the subject.

www.dvdnetbuy.com - www.sunnyriotravel.com - www.antivirusoftware.info

Regards GIL

•••
Here is my first WP site. Please look at it and give my your honest feedback.

NellyFurtadomp3

I am having difficulty with some placement, statcounter, and I would like to place the Google search in the upper right above the sidebar articles??

Also, I am not having any luck with Google analytics seeing the code in the domain, any suggestions.

Varon, used the affiliate and since you are the WP King, your thoughts, comments and suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

•••
Cool. Welcome to whypark. :) the king thing is funny...lol.

If you want to place the google search bar above the related articles .... go to your html page layout and scroll down till you see this code...

<!-- end header -->
<!-- start page -->
<div id="wrapper">
<div id="page">
<!-- start content -->
<div id="content">
<div class="post">
<div class="entry">
[[mainbody]]
</div>
</div>
</div>
<!-- end content -->
<!-- start sidebar -->
<div id="sidebar">

----> enter your google search code here and follow it up with <br> <br> to leave some space between the search and the related articles.

If you have submitted your .cfm sitemap, Google should verify it.

:)

•••
Varon,

Thx for the help. I tried the search bar on the sidebar and I think it looks better in the content side.

I have submitted the .cfm sitemap and Google has verified it. I can see thius through Google Webmaster tools.

Still if I logon to Google analytics, is says tracking code has not been detected on your website?? It looks as though I have some link messed up, any suggestions?

Cheers

•••
The google analytics code is different from the sitemap verification code. And once installed, it takes upto 15-20 minutes sometimes to start detecting and collecting data. I hope your analytics code is in the stat code box. If you are using statcounter as well as G analytics, create a <br> betwen the two codes.

•••
Got it! Waiting on the Google anylytics data.

Statcounter report looks interesting.

Cheers

•••
I just checked your meta description.. it reads

"Nelly Furtado is MTV's Artist of the Week. Unique information on downloading your mp3 from her hit album Loose."

Your site might get lost on the SE's.. here's a small suggestion. Use the typo "nelly fortado" to get noticed. And only use the keyword Mp3. It has around 117 articles. That should be enough.

Try

"listen to nelly fortado. Nelly fortado biography. Songs featuring nelly fortado. Nelly furtado Mp3's"

•••
Varon said:
I just checked your meta description.. it reads

"Nelly Furtado is MTV's Artist of the Week. Unique information on downloading your mp3 from her hit album Loose."

Your site might get lost on the SE's.. here's a small suggestion. Use the typo "nelly fortado" to get noticed. And only use the keyword Mp3. It has around 117 articles. That should be enough.

Try

"listen to nelly fortado. Nelly fortado biography. Songs featuring nelly fortado. Nelly furtado Mp3's"

OK I understand the getting lost in the SE's. I changed to only have 1 keyword - mp3.

Also, changed meta to your typo suggestion. Help me understand how the typo "nelly fortado" will help me get noticed?

Cheers

•••
Your meta description is your quick introduction to the search engine crawlers. In most cases, your meta description will feature on your search engine results for your site. Thats the main reason why it has to be keyword rich.

Lets break up your previous description. The first part says :
Nelly Furtado is MTV's Artist of the Week

Not many people are going to search for that exact phrase.

Second part:

Unique information on downloading your mp3 from her hit album Loose

Very very few people are going to type "downloading your mp3 from her hit album loose" . Its too vague and the second part does not even mention whose Mp3 album it is"

Many people would rather type "download nelly furtado loose mp3" or "nelly furtado album loose"

Lets look at actual searches via wordtracker:

Keyword Count Predict
nelly furtado 17074 30113
Nelly Furtado 12960 22857
Nelly Furtado Lyrics 4403 7765
Nelly Furtado Biography 3768 6646
Nelly Furtado Pregnant 3734 6586
Listen to Nelly Furtado 3595 6340
Nelly Furtado MP3 3434 6056
Songs Featuring Nelly Furtado 2372 4183
nelly furtado mp3 2341 4129

The predict tells us how many times that word will occur in various search engines in the next 24 hrs. So nelly furtado will be typed in around 30K times a day. And the competing webpage reference for that word is around 3.5 million. Lets take the next keyword "nelly furtado lyrics". It has 1 million webpage references on google. If anyone tries to compete for that keyword on Google, its a battle already lost. But we also see a small window of opportunity, and that is via many people (1000 a day) who type in Nelly Fortado. We have to capitalize on this small market which can actually be very big. :)

How? Lets take the keyword "Nelly Furtado Biography". Its typed in around 7000 times a day. And there are around 800 exact references. But imagine someone typing in Nelly fortado biography ....thats where you come up. And you have just one competing reference on google. I would estimate atleast 300 people out of the 7000 to type in the fortado typo every day.

Thats my way of thinking... I may be wrong here. You could try your original description and if it doesnt get you results, try this approach.

:)

•••
Varon,

Great description and it makes sense to me. Thx.

I am just understanding how all the pieces fit together and you made some easy to follow analysis. You have to look at your domain in a bigger picture from what I get from your description.

Now as far as the meta description, first intro to SE crawlers, keyword rich ... is this supposed to be sentenced, phrase or keyword based? Also does it matter how it is entered into the WP field?? One per line or not?

Cheers

•••
nscoville said:
First time poster, long time lurker. I modified the Sky Blue Centered to come up with http://www.AntiAllergenics.com I also modified a template I got at http://www.oswd.com to come up with http://www.DeFleaed.com Please be kind.
NICE job, nscoville! Am jealous of your taste & talent, really like what you did with both sites.

http://www.financejargon.com

any comments on the template in general is welcome, but in particluar i wanna kno if the image can be seen at least..
The header image does not show me either... I'm using Firefox.

•••
lol... if you are in the US, I can call you. A bit tired typing and its really tough to write all thats on my mind here. If you are okay with the idea, you can pm me.

•••
there is a software i can use to edit whypark templates?

•••
Thanks a lot test case. It took a lot of hours to learn the css and some basic html from w3schools, but I think it was worth it. If you or anyone has some questions about how I did them, I might be able to help.

•••
Varon,

Thanks for your help, knowledge and time. Verry much appreciated!! Rep added.

Cheers

•••
urir123 said:
there is a software i can use to edit whypark templates?
You should really learn a little bit of CSS & HTML to be fully understand WhyPark's templates. Once you have your head around the basics of CSS & HTML it would then be easier to use something like Dreamweaver (expensive!) to create templates.

But why bother with DW? WhyPark's template coding is pretty basic and you should be able to edit them very easily by hand once you understand basic CSS & HTML. When you are comfortable editing/customizing the templates already provided by WhyPark, you can then try adapting other templates to work with WP's code.

Maybe if you ask Nscoville, he (my apologies NS if you are not a "he"... :hehe: ) could point you in the direction of some good tutorials, the one's he used seemed to have taught him well.

•••
MNADomains said:
Varon,

Thanks for your help, knowledge and time. Verry much appreciated!! Rep added.

Cheers

Most welcome MNA. :)

•••
The tutorials at w3shools are excellent. Here is their html tutorial. Here is their css tutorial. The WhyPark Css templates are a little disorganized, so I added comments when I figured something out. For example this is the Sky Blue Centered CSS with comments for the colors:

/** BASIC */

body {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;

/** -------------------------------->WHOLE PAGE BACKGROUND COLOR */
background: silver;
font: normal 14px Helvetica, "Trebuchet MS", Arial;
/** -------------------------------->WHOLE PAGE TEXT COLOR */
color: black;
text-align: center;
}

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
margin-top: 0;
padding-top: 0;
/** -------------------------------->HEADINGS COLOR */
}

a {
/** -------------------------------->LINK COLOR */
color: darkblue;
}

a:hover {
text-decoration: none;
}

/** HEADER */

#header {
width: 728px;
height: 100px;
margin: auto auto auto auto;
text-align: left;
/** -------------------------------->HEADER BACKGROUND COLOR */
background: royalblue;
}

#header h1 {
padding: 5px 0 0 5px;
letter-spacing: -2px;

font-style: bold;
font-size: 36px;
/** -------------------------------->HEADER TEXT COLOR */
color: white;
}

#header h2 {
display: none;
}

/** MENU */

#menu {
margin: -2.5em auto 1em auto;
}

#menu ul {
list-style: none;
text-align: right;
}

#menu li {
display: inline;
}

#menu a {
padding: 0 5px;
font-weight: bold;
/** -------------------------------->MENU TEXT COLOR*/
}

#menu a:hover {
}

#menu .first a {
border: none;
}

/** CONTENT */

#content {
/** -------------------------------->CONTENT BACKGROUND COLOR*/
background: white;
}

#content * {
line-height: 140%;
}

#content h1 {
font-size: 26px;
}
#content b {font-size: 15px;}
#columnA {
float: left;
width: 468px;
padding: 10px 10px 0 10px;
/** -------------------------------->LEFT COLUMN BACKGROUND COLOR*/
}

#columnB {
float: right;
width: 200px;
/** -------------------------------->RIGHT COLUMN BACKGROUND COLOR*/
font-size: 12px;
}
#columnB b {font-size: 13px;}
/** FOOTER */

#footer {
height: 30px;
margin: 0 auto;
padding-bottom: 20px;
/** -------------------------------->FOOTER BACKGROUND COLOR */
background: royalblue;
}

#footer p {
margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
padding: 1em 0 0 0;
font: bold Helvetica, x-small Arial;
/** -------------------------------->FOOTER TEXT COLOR*/
}

#footer a {
/** -------------------------------->FOOTER LINK COLOR*/
}

•••
Not necessarily a WhyPark question (might need to post this someone else on NamePros)- it involves Google Analytics. If you look at the HTML Source code on your WhyPark page (when you view source from your web browser) you will notice that WhyPark adds it own Google Analytics Tracking code to your page. This is in addition to the Google Analytics code that you add yourself. I think WhyPark’s Analytics code might be the cause of my issue:

I cannot use the Google Analytics Goal Tracking to create a goal that leads to an external website. For instance if I have a link to cnn.com on my WhyPark site, I want to set up a Google Analytics goal to see how many people click the link. According the Analytics Help Page, all you have to do is make sure your Analytics code is above to link and add this piece of JavaScript to the link:
<a href="http://www.example.com" onClick="javascript:urchinTracker('/G1/example_com');">

You can then add this fake page /G1/example_com as a Goal, and you should be able to track it. I have done this, and the goal tracking simply will not work. My only guess is the extra Analytics code WhyPark automatically adds.

Does anyone have any suggestions or any luck with this process? Thanks!

•••
I learned mostly from w3schools dot com. They have tutorials on CSS and HTML. I would start with the HTML. After I figured out what WhyPark's template was doing, I was able to alter them at will. I put in comments in the CSS for easy access, see below.
This is the Sky Blue Centered CSS with some changes:

/** BASIC */

body {

/** -------------------------------->WHOLE PAGE BACKGROUND COLOR */
background: silver;
font: normal 14px Helvetica, "Trebuchet MS", Arial;
/** -------------------------------->WHOLE PAGE TEXT COLOR */
}

h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
margin-top: 0;
padding-top: 0;
/** -------------------------------->HEADINGS COLOR */
}

a {
/** -------------------------------->LINK COLOR */
color: darkblue;
}

a:hover {
text-decoration: none;
}

/** HEADER */

#header {
height: 100px;
/** -------------------------------->HEADER BACKGROUND COLOR */
background: darkgreen;
}

#header h1 {
padding: 5px 0 0 5px;

font-style: bold;
font-size: 36px;
/** -------------------------------->HEADER TEXT COLOR */
}

#header h2 {
display: none;
}

/** MENU */

#menu {
margin: -2.5em auto 1em auto;
}

#menu ul {
list-style: none;
text-align: right;
}

#menu li {
display: inline;
}

#menu a {
padding: 0 5px;
font-weight: bold;
/** -------------------------------->MENU TEXT COLOR*/
}

#menu a:hover {
}

#menu .first a {
border: none;
}

/** CONTENT */

#content {
/** -------------------------------->CONTENT BACKGROUND COLOR*/
}

#content * {
line-height: 140%;
}

#content h1 {
font-size: 26px;
}
#content b {font-size: 15px;}
#columnA {
float: left;
width: 468px;
/** -------------------------------->LEFT COLUMN BACKGROUND COLOR*/
}

#columnB {
float: right;
width: 200px;
/** -------------------------------->RIGHT COLUMN BACKGROUND COLOR*/
font-size: 12px;
}
#columnB b {font-size: 13px;}
/** FOOTER */

#footer {
height: 30px;
margin: 0 auto;
padding-bottom: 20px;
/** -------------------------------->FOOTER BACKGROUND COLOR */
background: darkgreen;
}

#footer p {
/** -------------------------------->FOOTER TEXT COLOR*/
}

#footer a {
/** -------------------------------->FOOTER LINK COLOR*/
}

•••
Neat work nscoville. Superb stuff. Thanks for sharing. That should help many WhyParkers. :) Reps added. Btw, I had subscribed to the about.com free html course via email. It would send me a chapter each week via mail. I found it really helpful. A great course for beginners like me.

For reference:

http://webdesign.about.com/c/ec/9.htm?terms=html+course

Last edited:
•••
Well done nscoville. I decided to try it out on my www.CristianoRonaldo-17.com site and it looks great. Had to change the header colour to red because Cristiano plays for Manchester United and their jerseys are RED!

Actually it looks very similar to the "WhyPark Original Default Layout" that I made some changes to and now use in most of my sites. Here's an example: www.adsensebestips.com

Btw do you know how I can change the Header name (ADSENSE BEST TIPS) colour from dark blue to white without changing all the other headers?

Reps added to you and Varon who has been our inspiration.

GIL

Last edited:
•••
•••
Nice work nscoville on the detailed code description, Thx. Added rep.

Cheers

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back