Dynadot

question Cryptocurrencies are crashing. New wave up coming to domain market?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
@deez007 I just read the $300 by end of July Prediction. Its at $151 today. General question for you and anyone else investing in this. If you might enlighten me. As you state more ICO's diluting the markets, this is unregulated and say what happened if the market could flood with 10 new coins a week, how do guys handle that? Are you all traders and pure speculators? Charters? Buy and Hold?

Bitcoin is the first and highest valued now. However a fraction will sell off and go to another coin. The other issue is I saw a chart where the vast amount of Bitcoin is held by few. Seems precarious to have that.

I love the concept and wider growth of non govt currencies and do not own any yet until I see stabilization and wider acceptance.

When I said $300 it had ended up getting close to $400 afterw... :) over the past 2 weeks ETH has taken a knock for a few reason...also general uncertainty about BTC's upcoming fork... and like I mentioned about too many ICO's cashing ETH at once... even though there are many ICO's coming into the market and at the moment it's unregulated.. it's still in it's infancy so chances are it will evolve to have more control in time.. I have been in crypto for some time now, I have spent a fair amount of time in the past day trading with crypto as well.. ..these days I tend to buy and hold... one thing about crypto is that it even when the market is down...the only people who lose money are those that sell during a down market.....if you wait it out and hold then the market tends to recover very quickly... compared to other markets.

Last edited:
•••
Crypto and domains have zero correlation. That said, the market isn't correcting. The issue revolves around the possibility of bitcoin splitting into 2 coins. It's uncertainty amongst investors which should be resolved in August.

i disagree. there are lots of domainers that have move to cryptos. we just need to look at all the hype. seeing domainers talking about cryptos like professionals and how easy is to make money on it, and without the fees and hassles of domains, and how this technology will be revolutionary almost like magic just at next corner is sufficient to know that we are in a bubble. and money always move to somewhere.

notice that I am not actually making any causality between markets. there are very few correlations in human based markets that have stood the test of time. probably it will be coincident factors. a market that has stayed low for a fair time and some money that will come from another market (cryptos).

•••
Thanks Deez. I see. Bitcoin is a long term for you, Ok. What about the major "owners" selling all at once? Isnt it true that most is controlled by a few? Or was what I read incorrect.

•••
i disagree. there are lots of domainers that have move to cryptos. we just need to look at all the hype. seeing domainers talking about cryptos like professionals and how easy is to make money on it, and without the fees and hassles of domains, and how this technology will be revolutionary almost like magic just at next corner is sufficient to know that we are in a bubble. and money always move to somewhere.

notice that I am not actually making any causality between markets. there are very few correlations in human based markets that have stood the test of time. probably it will be coincident factors. a market that has stayed low for a fair time and some money that will come from another market (cryptos).
"Most domainers" don't matter. They're a drop in the bucket amongst the $100 billion crypto space.

•••
Thanks Deez. I see. Bitcoin is a long term for you, Ok. What about the major "owners" selling all at once? Isnt it true that most is controlled by a few? Or was what I read incorrect.

No probs dude....

I have heard also about the possibility of major owners selling all at once... much like many other markets.. you will have a group of people who have a considerable influence in the market due to them having sizable investment in the market... same applies to Bitcoin. I wouldn't say "most" is owned by a few but I would say that enough is owned by few to influence the market.. what I suspect is that IF some of them decide to sejll at once, it will be with one objective...to drive the price of BTC down...ONLY so that they BUY more when the market is down and wait it out again for the market to recover... so basically for example...just using small numbers to keep it simple... let say Mr Smith and his friends sell 100 BTC...and it;s sittng at $2000 after selling their 100BTC...it causes the market to rapidly decrease and BTC goes to $1000... now Mr Smith and his friends BUY again... now they have 200BTC from their intial 100BTC that they sold... and they simply wait it out until the market recovers and when it gets back to $2000 they would have doubled their money...due to the fact that the market tends to recover rapidly ....it could be a relativley short time frame for them to double their investment....

Last edited:
•••
one thing about crypto is that it even when the market is down...the only people who lose money are those that sell during a down market.....if you wait it out and hold then the market tends to recover very quickly... compared to other markets.

this is the classic example of delusion and the worst advice that can be made. newbies beware...

most people are not prepared to trade a hyped market like this. the potential is great but the future is not linear not even by a long shot. the best analogy is too look at this as to what happened on 2000 in the dotcom bubble. lots of people hold stocks and saw them go down trough 3 years. it was painful and a hard lesson.

with cryptos the risks are even higher because there are lots of problems still to be solved and new cryptos and ideas that can come to the market and render a coin/blockchain useless by the "new thing".

Bitcoin is the only coin that has cemented is position in the market because it was the original one, stayed until today, and has a simple objective: to be a store of value and means of payment, that is, to be currency or money.

one simple risk that this technology as a whole has, and that almost everyone seems to forget - probably blind by the easy money, and the bright future ahead - is that it can *and it will* be replicated by private organizations.

Ethereum is the other infrastructure that will probably resist the test of time, but not before traversing a period of uncertain and bumps.

•••
and to be clear, Ethereum has hit a spot today from where it can take a good rebound in the next weeks to few months. does not imply that it will take off to new highs. don't be fooled by the shinning thing...

my humble advise is that if you buy now into the crypto market then sell all after we get a rebound of 50 to 62%. then wait for several months before buying again because this "correction" will not stop at here.

•••
this is the classic example of delusion and the worst advice that can be made. newbies beware...

most people are not prepared to trade a hyped market like this. the potential is great but the future is not linear not even by a long shot. the best analogy is too look at this as to what happened on 2000 in the dotcom bubble. lots of people hold stocks and saw them go down trough 3 years. it was painful and a hard lesson.

with cryptos the risks are even higher because there are lots of problems still to be solved and new cryptos and ideas that can come to the market and render a coin/blockchain useless by the "new thing".

Bitcoin is the only coin that has cemented is position in the market because it was the original one, stayed until today, and has a simple objective: to be a store of value and means of payment, that is, to be currency or money.

one simple risk that this technology as a whole has, and that almost everyone seems to forget - probably blind by the easy money, and the bright future ahead - is that it can *and it will* be replicated by private organizations.

Ethereum is the other infrastructure that will probably resist the test of time, but not before traversing a period of uncertain and bumps.
Couldn't be more wrong. Bitcoin is actually the most unstable coin. It's not a business, it doesn't solve any problems, transactions are painfully slow...it's most likely going to implode.

On the other hand, hundreds of other coins are backed by real business. They solve problems or bring new products into the market. Crypto currency and the ico way of fundraising is really the new stock market. Get used to it :)

•••
"Most domainers" don't matter. They're a drop in the bucket amongst the $100 billion crypto space.

sure, but this argument cannot be used to justify as one of the reasons for the correction of the domain market and not when it will go up.

like I said, i don't make a causality between the two.

•••

How much have you invested in Crypto? = ZERO

Anyone comparing crypto to the .com bubble has no clue what they are talking about.

Kindly stop interacting with me and quoting my comments... your opinion is of no value to me.

Last edited:
•••
So deez, this is sorta like Forex currency trading too.

Institutions and mutual funds control en masse individual stocks in a similar way. But they (institutions) don't sell off daily.

It's going to be interesting to see what occurs with the new coin also-rans if they survive. That and banks and businesses accepting this formally.
I assume you own both btc and eth, right? Getting in earlier on Eth seems smart. I hope you guys do well in this. Like a few credit card companies, there will really probably be only a couple that gain business acceptance.

•••
Crypto and domains have zero correlation. That said, the market isn't correcting. The issue revolves around the possibility of bitcoin splitting into 2 coins. It's uncertainty amongst investors which should be resolved in August.
Sounds like a correction to me, no matter how the correction is brought about doesn't matter, the price of most crypto currencies has stopped moving forward (up) and is searching for a sustainable direction (the forks) until crypto finds it's way investors will exit crypto and put their money in other places like domain names. (personally) The domain industry is already seeing some of this crypto money flowing in to swoop up some pretty good deals before prices creep back up, and it's my guess some of that money will go into crypto domain names, because once the correction is over crypto currencies will be huge again.

Last edited:
•••
Couldn't be more wrong. Bitcoin is actually the most unstable coin. It's not a business, it doesn't solve any problems, transactions are painfully slow...it's most likely going to implode.

On the other hand, hundreds of other coins are backed by real business. They solve problems or bring new products into the market. Crypto currency and the ico way of fundraising is really the new stock market. Get used to it :)

i disagree again. it is the only one that has a track record and a simple purpose. and a core one.

are you one of those that think Ethereum will solve the world? that we will be running the Web on top of Ethereum? :)

Ethereum is bringing much more challenges to this space than Bitcoin because it can be used to do many things on top of the same infrastructure.

but to fully understand these problems and their deepness you need to be more tech savvy. it is not sufficient to read news. has anyone looked to the protocols in a technical perspective? does anyone even understand cryptography and how it works? or distributed networks and distributed consensus? not likely. but there are experts everywhere.

•••
So deez, this is sorta like Forex currency trading too.

Institutions and mutual funds control en masse individual stocks in a similar way. But they (institutions) don't sell off daily.

It's going to be interesting to see what occurs with the new coin also-rans if they survive. That and banks and businesses accepting this formally.
I assume you own both btc and eth, right? Getting in earlier on Eth seems smart. I hope you guys do well in this. Like a few credit card companies, there will really probably be only a couple that gain business acceptance.

Off course there are no gaurantees and with any investment there are risks ... yeah ETH was a good move especially if you got in early... for me to lose my intial investment in ETH it would need to go below $1.20 :)

As @Keith mentioned BTC doesn;t have any backing in terms of technology...compared to ETH and the newer currencies... could it implode?, anything is possible... I think or what I would like to see is that BTC will become the currency that people use for storing/saving long term but currencies like ETH and other new ones will be used for transactional purposes.

Last edited:
•••
and this thread is again slipping from its original purpose.

I really don't care what anyone think on the crypto market. think what you want, put your money where your mouth is and deal with the consequences...

this thread is simply to question if the running implosion of crypto market can lead to an up tick on domain market. many used this has an argument for the "correction" in the domain market so it is natural to pose it now the other way.

•••
Deez, wow thats confusing. BTC isnt transactional now? ETH has a transactional business acceptance now? Or is ETH building a platform that can grow? Reason I ask, is that In daily life, I dont see these things yet being used widely. Yet.

•••
i disagree again. it is the only one that has a track record and a simple purpose. and a core one.

are you one of those that think Ethereum will solve the world? that we will be running the Web on top of Ethereum? :)

Ethereum is bringing much more challenges to this space than Bitcoin because it can be used to do many things on top of the same infrastructure.

but to fully understand these problems and their deepness you need to be more tech savvy. it is not sufficient to read news. has anyone looked to the protocols in a technical perspective? does anyone even understand cryptography and how it works? or distributed networks and distributed consensus? not likely. but there are experts everywhere.
No offense but you don't understand what crypto coins are about. To say bitcoin has a purpose is incorrect. It was the first crypto coin to market but there's nothing behind it. On the other hand, there are tons of real businesses that are simply choosing to fundraise via the ico process vs traditional methods. These are the real players to watch out for!

•••
and this thread is again slipping from its original purpose.
Well if you insist I stay on track, no problem. Domain trading might have a few people invested in both. But I would be surprised if it were the majority. I would say these are completely different animals. Not to be disrespectful, but comparing the two seems reading XYZ and Whateveregistry advertising. XYZ= bitcoin false propaganda.

•••
there are tons of real businesses that are simply choosing to fundraise via the ico process vs traditional methods. These are the real players to watch out for!
Really? So alternatives to VC and crowdfunding schemes? Where do you read about this, I would like understand this more. Thats news to me and interesting concept, creating your own "fund" unregulated to capitalize. Wow.

•••
Really? So alternatives to VC and crowdfunding schemes? Where do you read about this, I would like understand this more. Thats news to me and interesting concept, creating your own "fund" unregulated to capitalize. Wow.
Exactly right. In fact, there are coins like cofound.it that specifically cater to the vc side of the crypto space!

•••
Remember what happened with BTC in 2013 when it faced some obstacles from US and now see the rate it has attained now. I just believed it may go down and again to attain another high. That is the mormal thing that happens with evry good trend. there is no paralel graphs.Same thing with ETH in January this year and see what it is now going far more than double price it was in January tjis same year.

Last edited:
•••
Exactly right. In fact, there are coins like cofound.it that specifically cater to the vc side of the crypto space!
While the concept is really great, and goes against traditional VC control they exert in Silicon valley (I like that) one needs to be really careful, like penny stocks being hyped as new coin ICO scammers will masquerade within new currencies. Not for me, but younger people could be great way to start a legit business outside of the usual circles of power and influence.

•••
While the concept is really great, and goes against traditional VC control they exert in Silicon valley (I like that) one needs to be really careful, like penny stocks being hyped as new coin ICO scammers will masquerade within new currencies. Not for me, but younger people could be great way to start a legit business outside of the usual circles of power and influence.
This is way better than a few venture capitalists controlling a business. The ico method puts the control in the hands of many who see a possible reality. When more investors enter a project as it evolves you gain stability.

•••
I read some of that cofound website. Interesting, thanks for informing me. Looks like a great idea.

•••
I read some of that cofound website. Interesting, thanks for informing me. Looks like a great idea.
They had 3 projects slated to launch under them before they raised a dollar.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back