Dynadot

discuss Crap I just bid on a domain I did not want!!

NameSilo
Watch

MapleDots

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
auctiongavel.png

HeHe

So it's late for me, have not eaten and have a bit of a sugar low. I see this domain for sale on GoDaddy and it's actually pretty sweet. Starting bid was quite reasonable and I figured it was way too low for a premium domain so I wanted the seller to think I was serious.

So guess what.... I bid twice the opening bid amount and felt pretty good that I had a chance the offer would get accepted.

Then..... a wave of something overcame me and I went to dictionary.com and sure enough I had a misspell on my hands, the domain had an extra letter that did not belong.

CRAP :muted:

So there I sit looking at the domain name trying to justify how I could possibly put it to use. No matter how I flipped it I figured I just wasted some good money. The owner of the domain would surely be accepting my offer.

Almost an hour to the T the seller came back with a counter for a couple hundred bucks more than my double sized offer.

HeHeHe.... I just chuckled to myself. The guy had a solid offer on a misspell and got greedy, he had to ask another couple hundred bucks. Well, that lets me of the hook, now I can go spend the money on something I actually want.

Lesson to seller: If you have a misspell that is close to the real word there is a chance the bidder did not realize it was a misspell. If you counter, you let him off the hook.

Think about accepting the bid on a misspell because you might not get a second bid when the guy on the other end realizes its a misspell.

So how was your day :xf.laugh: :xf.laugh: :xf.laugh:

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Do misspelled .ca domains sell at all for like xxx even (assuming buyer knows it's misspelled they still pay high)?

•••
Ask me win 10 days, I have never sold a misspell but if I am the proud papa I will let you know :xf.laugh::xf.laugh:

•••
That's actually a real education as the domaining years go-by. how much North-American spellings differ (usually less lettering) with some really common words. I think the yanks got most right - spell it as it reads.

though I still can't get use to the 'Z' where European/Australian English uses the 'S'

Last edited:
•••
•••
skin-care-during-pregnancy.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg
perhaps you also made the initial post a tad early - Yep, we've all been there

There is still a bit of a lesson there because if it happened on Sedo the opening post would be spot on.
So for misspells on that platform the opening post would be accurate.

Now with GoDaddy??

I feel like my girlfriend has just told me she is pregnant I don't know if I'm the daddy yet. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Last edited:
•••
Keep us posted on how this turns out @MapleDots. I hope it works out for you - and lay off drinking that Maple syrup when you are domain buying, eh?

I realize not directly related, but has anyone done a study to look at the sales prices of US vs UK spelling of words I looked at a couple, and not direct word comparable, but it seemed the US (e.g. harbor) sold for more than the UK (harbour). Would be interested if someone has done a more definitive study. Of course we Canadians use both, trying to get along with everyone.

•••
Of course we Canadians use both, trying to get along with everyone.

HeHe.... only when we are on an American forum, I always make sure to use the US spelling. It feels more natural to use the Canadian spelling though. Hence my issue :xf.grin:

•••
Show attachment 83683Then..... a wave of something overcame me and I went to dictionary.com and sure enough I had a misspell on my hands, the domain had an extra letter that did not belong.

Yep. I've surely done that before. Now I Google EVERYTHING.

•••
I had the same situation but with a dropcatch and the domain is in my account...

•••
You sure it was due to a 'Sugar low' or more like a 'Beer-high' ;) I still cant understand people in our game getting spelling wrong. sure if it's UK or USA variant but that's about it

Neither. It was a Maple Syrup high ;)

•••
Neither. It was a Maple Syrup high ;)

HeHe.... actually a maple syrup low.... now that I've added some on my pancakes I'm in great shape :happy:

•••
English is not my first language and thats why I almost always check spell and natural word flow.

•••
I just spent a half hour on the phone with several departments at GoDaddy and they have confirmed the original bid is now not binding. I asked them to provide it to me in writing because all of godaddy terms, bidding agreements etc are very unclear about this. Almost all other auctions invalidate the original bid when a counter offer is made and so it should be because the seller is basically saying not good enough I want more.

Maybe @Joe Styler can clarify this because even tech support could not find ANY documentation on it.

•••
The original bid is binding for 7 days that is the way our terms of service are written and I just double checked it with the auction's support manager. You can always ask [email protected] for an answer on any auction related question. They will know the answer better than general support.

•••
The original bid is binding for 7 days that is the way our terms of service are written and I just double checked it with the auction's support manager. You can always ask [email protected] for an answer on any auction related question. They will know the answer better than general support.

Thats what the general support guy said but then he contacted auction support and they said when a counter offer is made the originating bid is no longer binding. So after 1/2 hour on the phone with two departments (including the auction department) you're telling me I still do not have an absolutely clear answer.

I waited for 15 minutes while the original support guy scoured the printed material and everything is very vague. There needs to be a clear statement that set it out when you agree to bid. That link does not specifically say what happens when a counter offer is made.

Joe if you scan up and look at the Sedo auction screenshot I posted it is VERY clear. Why can we not get a clear answer from GoDaddy? It is a bit odd that a counter offer does not cancel out the original bid. Seems even the guys at godaddy are giving two different responses.

Last edited:
•••
Definitely at TDNAM seller can go back and accept buyer's higher bid inside a week

•••
Thats what the general support guy said but then he contacted auction support and they said when a counter offer is made the originating bid is no longer binding. So after 1/2 hour on the phone with two departments (including the auction department) you're telling me I still do not have an absolutely clear answer.

I waited for 15 minutes while the original support guy scoured the printed material and everything is very vague. There needs to be a clear statement that set it out when you agree to bid. That link does not specifically say what happens when a counter offer is made.

Joe if you scan up and look at the Sedo auction screenshot I posted it is VERY clear. Why can we not get a clear answer from GoDaddy? It is a bit odd that a counter offer does not cancel out the original bid. Seems even the guys at godaddy are giving two different responses.

It's odd I agree because it gives you a free shot to counter, and then accept the lower amount, so it makes negotiating better for the seller.

Perfect example I just got a $500 offer on Sedo, now I countered at $2,000 no reply. It lets me know this is not the end user I thought it could be, $2,000 would be an easy pay and instead now I cannot make them pay $500.

•••
It's odd I agree because it gives you a free shot to counter, and then accept the lower amount, so it makes negotiating better for the seller.

Perfect example I just got a $500 offer on Sedo, now I countered at $2,000 no reply. It lets me know this is not the end user I thought it could be, $2,000 would be an easy pay and instead now I cannot make them pay $500.

Very bad behavior at sedo for sellers, many possible sales get lost and many would go much higher if as seller did not afraid buyer will pass so would counter

•••
Just got this email from godaddy.....

To clarify, the domain is listed in what is called an offer/counter offer listing. With this, you submit an offer to the seller, who has 7 days to accept, decline, or counter your amount submitted. If the seller takes no action within the 7 day time frame, the offer becomes null and void. While it is preferred that the seller does counter with an amount, they are not required to. After 90 days, the domain automatically re-lists and any prior bids/offers are null and void. In actuality, Offer/Counteroffer is a negotiation platform, not an auction. It is more like a seller listing a house for sale, they listen to offers, and negotiate to complete the sale.

•••
Is it just me or is it still not clear....

who has 7 days to accept, decline, or counter your amount

I'm still not seeing my question answered.... the seller has countered within the 7 days.

What are my obligations?

Very very vague terminoligy

•••
It can be double edge sword though as if its a Broker Service deal (or on own buyer smart )the Godaddy broker will generally tell the client to let the first offer ride out, hindering the chance of getting the second offer accepted. Almost forcing an accept first offer. But yeah better than the Sedo wipeout.

•••
Is it just me or is it still not clear....

who has 7 days to accept, decline, or counter your amount

I'm still not seeing my question answered.... the seller has countered within the 7 days.

What are my obligations?

Very very vague terminoligy

Still not clear

•••
seller can accept, decline, or counter buyer's offer, can also accept a previous bid if buyer will not accept a counter

•••
seller can accept, decline, or counter buyer's offer, can also accept a previous bid if buyer will not accept a counter

Would it not be nice if that was clearly stated in the GoDaddy policies.
That would be the exact opposite policy to sedo and similar.

I have spent two days asking and have gotten two different answers from multiple sources at godaddy.

Forum - Counter cancels bid
General support - bid stands
Auction Support - counter cancels bid
Joe Styler - bid stands

Can you blame me for asking for CLEAR clarification?

•••
I am currently having this domain that the buyer offered about 2 days ago. Of course I countered him back with the higher asking price. Still no response from the buyer, BUT the previous offer from the buyer is still accept-able. I mean the "accept" offer link is still ACTIVE, not disabled, and I can still accept the previous offer. In conclusion, the seller can still accept your previous offer.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back