IT.COM

Could you please release your domain to me?!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Fancy.domains

Top Member
Impact
The last month I've received three emails with a similar request. The messages have been similar to:

"You seems to be the owner of domain ******, but it seems like it is not developed. Could you please release it to me. I also might pay a little for it."

As I've received it three times, I wonder if it is a new (kind of rude) tactic? As far as I remember I have never got this kind of request before.

Anyone else who have received a similar one?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sounds like a reseller or developer trying to beat around the bush. Shoot them your buy it now if you have one, or just ignore till a solid offer comes in.

•••
In this case maybe a bootstrapping freelancer, I admit I've sent similar emails before i knew much about domaining.

•••
I once had a stealth buyer for a big company contact me sounding like that.

Quote a price and stick to it even if he goes MIA.

•••
•••
•••
•••
or better ask him what his budget is!:xf.smile:

•••
"A little bit" is a relative term - quote him with your asking price and wait for the responce.

In two cases I replied that I do this for a living and can not accept a price below $xxxx. I am trying to answer politely, even if I personally think these requests are "odd".

Last edited:
•••
I have experienced many low ballers, but not people who actually wants your names for free. :-P O_o

•••
People will try anything. I've found a polite reply is always the best route because you never know who could be on the other side of that email. I only play hardball after I know the other side is being aggressive.

Last edited:
•••
text book definition of "Stingy".

•••
I have experienced many low ballers, but not people who actually wants your names for free. :-P O_o
Maybe you have not been domaining long enough :xf.grin: These types of 'clients' come around from time to time. On the occasion I have dealt with people offering to swap your domain for theirs, obviously there was a certain gap in quality :xf.rolleyes:

•••
Maybe you have not been domaining long enough :xf.grin: These types of 'clients' come around from time to time. On the occasion I have dealt with people offering to swap your domain for theirs, obviously there was a certain gap in quality :xf.rolleyes:

Since 1998 (but not actively from 2004-2013).

•••
•••
Reply:
You don't seem to be using your car right now, would you sign it over to me?

•••
You just skipped the best years in domaining :xf.wink:

I know, but had a profitable internet based business at that time, so not that much regrets.

•••
Reply:
You don't seem to be using your car right now, would you sign it over to me?

I see the lights haven't been turned on in your house in a few months and you haven't entered it. Would you give me the keys? I have a small project I'm working on for college.

•••
The last month I've received three emails with a similar request. The messages have been similar to:

"You seems to be the owner of domain ******, but it seems like it is not developed. Could you please release it to me. I also might pay a little for it."

As I've received it three times, I wonder if it is a new (kind of rude) tactic? As far as I remember I have never got this kind of request before.

Anyone else who have received a similar one?

I received a similar one on 2016. Attaching the screenshot below.

Screen Shot 2018-04-21 at 22.01.26.png

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back