IT.COM

discuss Correct me if I am wrong here...You make money on the sale!

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Arpit131

Top Member
Impact
Hello guys..

I have heard a lot of industry experts say that in this industry you make money on your buys.

While that may be true for names acquired through auctions or long term investments, when investing in hand registrations, I firmly believe that the money is only and only in the sale.

After all, we need to market those names properly, reach out to prospective clients, tell them about the domain name that we are offering. And depending on the value that the domain name may have for their business, we agree upon a price.

So, I believe, one way or the other, we need to be great salesman when marketing our domain name to our prospective clients.

I have been reading about marketing and sales lately, and will share my learning and insights in a different post.

Don't you think hand registration technique is more of marketing and sales game than anything else(of course, keeping the research aside)?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Quote " I firmly believe that the money is only and only in the sale."

I disagree on that, The money is not in the actual sale of hand reg name, The money is in the multiple streams of income , one can make through the development of that hand regged domain name. It takes some marketing, yes, not as much as many think it does though, It really just takes time, every domain that exist was once what? A hand reg. I always say, time and patience pays big dividends in this industry.

What do i see most in this industry, Both present and past? A LOT of domainers trying to make a quick buck, nothing new, it has been that way since entered the industry, Why? because they come into the industry strictly to establish an income from domaining. Many find out you can't rob Peter, to pay Paul, and end up finding their purpose in this industry, while many just go away, leave the industry.

•••
Of course the money is made from the money coming in - advertising, link sales, ppc, name sales, rental, and all the other methods However to make that income, you need to find good names, and that may be the point of the original quote.

•••
Of course the money is made from the money coming in - advertising, link sales, ppc, name sales, rental, and all the other methods However to make that income, you need to find good names, and that may be the point of the original quote.

Good Point,

"Find A Good Name"

What is considered a good name? How does a name, become a good name? Just because it is a good name doesn't mean it is going to get any traffic at all, So how do you get that name traffic? Without traffic, How generic, brandable and ect the name is doesn't matter, so it is not a good name without traffic.

Ask yourself this question, How many times have you randomly typed into your browser bar, the name Just dot com ? It's a good name right? not to mention a 4L.com , So it has to be a great name right? Yes, It is a generic 4 letter word, That has awesome POTENTIAL, but , It is what the name is used for, that will make it great. without an audience, it is just another domain name. Many get caught up in domainer trends, what can i buy or reg and sell quickly to another domainer. which is cool if you are into that, I wouldn't expect to make any lucrative income from it, definitely no residual income from it. But there is some money to be made going the domainer trend route.

I am seeing a domainer trend today, Not just pertaining to this thread, but many threads, A hand reged domain name is a light weight, You need to buy already matured names off auctions and so forth for a name to really carry some weight right? It needs to be no less than, say, 10 years old to be a good name right?

This just my opinion, If anyone has the mindset of what i speak about above, Rethink your purpose, what is your "Long Term Goal" in this industry, Why are you in this industry to begin with, If all your answers are " Only To Make Money" Buy what you consider a good domain name because it comes from an auction house, It has been regged since 1999, All the leg work is done, all you have do is buy it, and cash in, You most likely will be very disappointed in your accomplishments in this industry, Not to mention your longevity will be day to day.

"Quote" I have heard a lot of industry experts say that in this industry you make money on your buys.

If they are referring to making money off yours buys, pertaining to purchasing names from auction houses, or names that are domainer trendy, So called good names, that are ready to go, all the leg work has been done, Backlinks, indexing and ect, I recommend using caution on your investments, Back in the years when "Traffic Names" were a domainer trend, people would pay premium $$$'s for these names, Only to find out that the traffic was false or inflated through false means, Not to mention a dropped or inactive name, Parked and so forth, loses it's Google PR with the quickness. This is just one of many examples i have seen trend as domainer to domainer sales that really hurt the pocket book of some people.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back