Dynadot

information Coronavirus.es confiscated temporarily by Spanish Government.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
Alright alright. Get ready for a chuckle. As I hinted before in other threads. Government's might confiscate domains using country code extensions.

In this case it was .es .

Not going to complain as they said they would give back the domain after this crisis is over (supposedly).

I should have grabbed that $10k offer.

But after I blew off that offer because they tried to scare me that Spanish Gov would take it. I cut all communications. I don't like scare tactics just to get my domain.

I suspect buyer took revenge and notified Spanish Gov and they took action. Or maybe not and Spanish Gov did so anyways.

Marcaria said this domain would be "returned".

What are my rights in regards to this? I guess they can legally do this?

I mean after coronavirus is "over" what point is it to own coronavirus.es?

Also FYI as part of this also COVID19.es and covid-19.es was confiscated "temporarily".

Currently the domain resolves to no where but I'm sure soon it will.

Is this all legal? Will I lose this domain completely?

The wording from Marcaria is that it will be eventually returned after this crisis is over.

Pretty slick. Spanish Gov. I had planned on developing this domain to monetize now nothing.

Wonder what other. Countries will do this?

Are my rights being violated here by a Government? I suspect no but just curious.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Update. Coronavirus.es was just renewed by me today. Marcaria alerted me that my domain coronavirus.es was up for renewal. So I renewed it.

So now coronavirus.es is renewed until 1-17-22.

Not exactly sure what this means but just in case I figured better to renew it and risk losing $21 or having the option to get back coronavirus.es once the state of alarm is over.

FYI in October the Spanish Gov enacted another 6 month state of alarm lockdown in Spain.

I had chalked up Coronavirus.es as no longer mine because this is what I was told. I really don't know what is going on with this now. Either way I am prepared for anything.

•••
B4834AF5-D112-493A-8824-49E6B89F0EAA.jpeg
B4834AF5-D112-493A-8824-49E6B89F0EAA.jpeg
Update. Coronavirus.es was just renewed by me today. Marcaria alerted me that my domain coronavirus.es was up for renewal. So I renewed it.

Not exactly sure what this means but just in case I figured better to renew it and risk losing $21 or having the option to get back coronavirus.es once the state of alarm is over.

FYI in October the Spanish Gov enacted another 6 month state of alarm lockdown in Spain.

I had chalked up Coronavirus.es as no longer mine because this is what I was told. I really don't know what is going on with this now. Either way I am prepared for anything.

Hi Archimedes , are you sure that you still manage the domain name?

I have good experience with the domains of my country and in previous cases this kind of domains are manage by the government forever .

At least now 2 public servants are manage that domain under the Nic.es system , in our legislation if the domain is of general interest it can be expropriated like a land .

Last edited:
•••

I'm sure they were more than happy to take your money but that doesn't necessarily mean they have your domain. An easy way to check: try to change the nameservers... :whistle:

•••
Show attachment 178832 Show attachment 178832

I have good experience with the domains of my country and in previous cases this kind of domains are manage by the government forever .

At least now 2 public servants are manage that domain under the Nic.es system , in our legislation if the domain is of general interest it can be expropriated like a land .

Update. Marcaria contacted me and said my renewal was invalid. And their system was flawed and allowed me to renew it. I actually need to reply to that email. I have my receipt for the renewal. They can do whatever they want. We are in pandemic times after all and people have died.

I have kept on file the official letter sent to me via Marcaria stating the domain will be returned soon after the state of alert has been lifted completely and coronavirus pandemic is a thing of the past. Whenever that is. It has already been lifted once. I did not know nor cared. Then it was put back in place.

I was told it will be returned. This is what was told. This is what should happen.

The Spanish flu of 1918 happened. Killed 50 million people around the world. And yet here we are descendents alive and well. Coronavirus is here but I am optimistic this will pass. Hopefully before it kills 50 million.

The Spanish Flu alone should have served as a lesson for Spain to keep its guard up. To be vigilant for it's people. I mean it was called the "Spanish" flu after all.

When the day comes when coronavirus is history and coronavirus.es is not returned I will need an explanation as to why.

For now it is too soon to ask. Leave it be and let it be used for good. God bless Spain.

I was able to register Coronavirus.es because it was available for registration because of the Spanish government's failure to make plans to protect its people with an information website to be called coronavirus.es. I forget but I think this domain was confiscated after coronavirus was already "inside" the walls of Spain not before.

Spain is part of the Chinese "Belt and Road" initiative ( Google it). Spain had been allowing Chinese nationalists enter the country with direct flights from Wuhan. Same as Italy. Why?

I doubt Spain and Italy gov are that stupid. Therefore the only logical conclusion was that it was ALLOWED to happen. Smart people allowing bad things to happen on purpose. End result? People die unfortunately.

Why?

Many countries in Europe have free health care. Many have a huge population of senior citizens. Is it a coincidence this Coronavirus targets the elderly? The one group that is the biggest drain on Spain and Italy's treasury? Old people like my 80 year old mom.

If Spain cared about it's people, a schmuck like me could have never have registered coronavirus.es period had Spain planned ahead or was afraid for its people. It's almost like creating a website called coronavirus.es was just an after thought when it should have been the first thought. Plus closing all borders from anyone coming from China or Asia or any other country. Just look at Taiwan. No more than a 1000 cases. Death toll 7.

7!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????

And THEY are right next to China (81 miles away) with daily flights back and forth to China.

Yet in Spain which is 8,786 kilometers away from China has 2.05 million cases and over 51,876 deaths?

Logic should dictate. The farther you are away from a "hot zone" the less amount of cases you should have.

Taiwan? 828 cases. 7 deaths.

If you go by the numbers? Taiwan? Taiwan gov cares about it's people. Spain gov. does not.

I give you two choices Spain. You choose.

1. Creation of helpful website coronavirus.es
or
2. Block all incoming flights from China or all Asia, plus all countries with high known infection rates. Or simply block all entries into Spain. Check Temps at borders and airports and seaports. Quarantine suspected cases.

Coronavirus.es website did not stop infected people from entering Spain. It was ready in Spain.

But what's more important? Taiwan does not trust China.

The US does.
India no so much. Yet they have 10.5 million cases and 151,00 deaths. ( is coronavirus a way for China to weaken the militaries of neighboring countries?)
(Was coronavirus a weapon that escaped a lab that was originally designed to infect Taiwan to weaken them so they can just cruise on over and mop up all the dead people and finally take back Taiwan?)
Brazil does.
Russia does.
France and Germany does
Italy does and so does Spain.
UK does.

All countries with over 1 million cases.

Don't feel so bad Spain. Same thing happened in USA. Borders were not closed soon enough.

So many people could have been saved. But mistakes were made by people we trusted. People we thought were smart and had our backs.

Instead they threw us all under the bus.

To the powers that be? We are all "useless eaters" eating up Earth's irreplaceable natural resources. Resources the global elites feel should be for them only not the poor. They look at us all and say "this world would be a better place to live in if you, you and you are gone. Let's go make a virus to kill just those "useless eaters".

Let's release it on the world and let's make it easy to enter our country but before we do let's vaccinate our buddies first with the REAL Vaccine.

Anyways after talking to my Spaniard friends in Spain via LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook etc.. I am convinced this domain will never be returned. This is the way it is in Spain. I am fine with this.

I hope we'll all still be here when coronavirus.es is returned back to it's original owner. (I doubt it will be returned).

That would be one of the greatest domainer story ever I bet? A miracle.

Moving on.

I'm sure they were more than happy to take your money but that doesn't necessarily mean they have your domain. An easy way to check: try to change the nameservers... :whistle:

Agreed. I don't really care. Never checked after i paid. Too busy with coincidentally my own fears here. I'm over here washing my mother's groceries in hot water and disinfecting everything that can be sprayed with a bleach solution.

Washing packaged meat. Washing fruits and vegetables. All stuff she can't be trusted with handling as she will forget to wash her hands and not touch her face.

Taking off my shoes and clothes before i walk around her apartment when I visit. Put them in a trash bag. Shower then help her. I wash the money she asks me to get from the bank in boiling hot water because cash is dirty.

She keeps garbage for a week till I come over plus recycling because someone in her building has Covid. Told her not to go out because the lady across the hall has a dog plus she never wears a mask..

I don't let my mom throw garbage down the chute. I do that.

I worry about when my mom gets a cold or fever. Something that happens regularly to her even before Covid. So I can't know if she is sick? Or sick sick.

Money is tight. Even after the sale of investreit.com.

Would have been less stressful not worrying about money had Spain government done the right thing with coronavirus.es.

No point dwelling on it. There's a lot more people in the world worse off than me.

Everyone take care of yourselves. Stay safe. Stay healthy. Stay strong. Have faith. Stay alive.

All of this will pass.

Stress lowers immunity. Keep calm. Stay positive.

And for God sakes wear a mask and social distsnce.

•••
Show attachment 178832 Show attachment 178832
this domain is still spanish property
I hope they never release it

Last edited:
•••
Update. Marcaria contacted me and said my renewal was invalid. And their system was flawed and allowed me to renew it. I actually need to reply to that email. I have my receipt for the renewal. They can do whatever they want. We are in pandemic times after all and people have died.

I have kept on file the official letter sent to me via Marcaria stating the domain will be returned soon after the state of alert has been lifted completely and coronavirus pandemic is a thing of the past. Whenever that is. It has already been lifted once. I did not know nor cared. Then it was put back in place.

I was told it will be returned. This is what was told. This is what should happen.

The Spanish flu of 1918 happened. Killed 50 million people around the world. And yet here we are descendents alive and well. Coronavirus is here but I am optimistic this will pass. Hopefully before it kills 50 million.

The Spanish Flu alone should have served as a lesson for Spain to keep its guard up. To be vigilant for it's people. I mean it was called the "Spanish" flu after all.

When the day comes when coronavirus is history and coronavirus.es is not returned I will need an explanation as to why.

For now it is too soon to ask. Leave it be and let it be used for good. God bless Spain.

I was able to register Coronavirus.es because it was available for registration because of the Spanish government's failure to make plans to protect its people with an information website to be called coronavirus.es. I forget but I think this domain was confiscated after coronavirus was already "inside" the walls of Spain not before.

Spain is part of the Chinese "Belt and Road" initiative ( Google it). Spain had been allowing Chinese nationalists enter the country with direct flights from Wuhan. Same as Italy. Why?

I doubt Spain and Italy gov are that stupid. Therefore the only logical conclusion was that it was ALLOWED to happen. Smart people allowing bad things to happen on purpose. End result? People die unfortunately.

Why?

Many countries in Europe have free health care. Many have a huge population of senior citizens. Is it a coincidence this Coronavirus targets the elderly? The one group that is the biggest drain on Spain and Italy's treasury? Old people like my 80 year old mom.

If Spain cared about it's people, a schmuck like me could have never have registered coronavirus.es period had Spain planned ahead or was afraid for its people. It's almost like creating a website called coronavirus.es was just an after thought when it should have been the first thought. Plus closing all borders from anyone coming from China or Asia or any other country. Just look at Taiwan. No more than a 1000 cases. Death toll 7.

7!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????

And THEY are right next to China (81 miles away) with daily flights back and forth to China.

Yet in Spain which is 8,786 kilometers away from China has 2.05 million cases and over 51,876 deaths?

Logic should dictate. The farther you are away from a "hot zone" the less amount of cases you should have.

Taiwan? 828 cases. 7 deaths.

If you go by the numbers? Taiwan? Taiwan gov cares about it's people. Spain gov. does not.

I give you two choices Spain. You choose.

1. Creation of helpful website coronavirus.es
or
2. Block all incoming flights from China or all Asia, plus all countries with high known infection rates. Or simply block all entries into Spain. Check Temps at borders and airports and seaports. Quarantine suspected cases.

Coronavirus.es website did not stop infected people from entering Spain. It was ready in Spain.

But what's more important? Taiwan does not trust China.

The US does.
India no so much. Yet they have 10.5 million cases and 151,00 deaths. ( is coronavirus a way for China to weaken the militaries of neighboring countries?)
(Was coronavirus a weapon that escaped a lab that was originally designed to infect Taiwan to weaken them so they can just cruise on over and mop up all the dead people and finally take back Taiwan?)
Brazil does.
Russia does.
France and Germany does
Italy does and so does Spain.
UK does.

All countries with over 1 million cases.

Don't feel so bad Spain. Same thing happened in USA. Borders were not closed soon enough.

So many people could have been saved. But mistakes were made by people we trusted. People we thought were smart and had our backs.

Instead they threw us all under the bus.

To the powers that be? We are all "useless eaters" eating up Earth's irreplaceable natural resources. Resources the global elites feel should be for them only not the poor. They look at us all and say "this world would be a better place to live in if you, you and you are gone. Let's go make a virus to kill just those "useless eaters".

Let's release it on the world and let's make it easy to enter our country but before we do let's vaccinate our buddies first with the REAL Vaccine.

Anyways after talking to my Spaniard friends in Spain via LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook etc.. I am convinced this domain will never be returned. This is the way it is in Spain. I am fine with this.

I hope we'll all still be here when coronavirus.es is returned back to it's original owner. (I doubt it will be returned).

That would be one of the greatest domainer story ever I bet? A miracle.

Moving on.

Agreed. I don't really care. Never checked after i paid. Too busy with coincidentally my own fears here. I'm over here washing my mother's groceries in hot water and disinfecting everything that can be sprayed with a bleach solution.

Washing packaged meat. Washing fruits and vegetables. All stuff she can't be trusted with handling as she will forget to wash her hands and not touch her face.

Taking off my shoes and clothes before i walk around her apartment when I visit. Put them in a trash bag. Shower then help her. I wash the money she asks me to get from the bank in boiling hot water because cash is dirty.

She keeps garbage for a week till I come over plus recycling because someone in her building has Covid. Told her not to go out because the lady across the hall has a dog plus she never wears a mask..

I don't let my mom throw garbage down the chute. I do that.

I worry about when my mom gets a cold or fever. Something that happens regularly to her even before Covid. So I can't know if she is sick? Or sick sick.

Money is tight. Even after the sale of investreit.com.

Would have been less stressful not worrying about money had Spain government done the right thing with coronavirus.es.

No point dwelling on it. There's a lot more people in the world worse off than me.

Everyone take care of yourselves. Stay safe. Stay healthy. Stay strong. Have faith. Stay alive.

All of this will pass.

Stress lowers immunity. Keep calm. Stay positive.

And for God sakes wear a mask and social distsnce.

Thanks for the update.

Take one for the team and move on.

I think you had a good year otherwise ;)

•••
•••
this domain is still spanish property
I hope they never release it

Keep it. Return it. doesn't matter anymore.

Creating a website on Coronavirus.es does not let the Government off the hook for allowing Chinese tourists to direct from Wuhan via hopping from connecting flight to connecting flight but still they came direct from Wuhan.

Coronavirus.es website does not make the Spanish gov a hero.

Hero's protect their people before bad things happen.
Hero's as soon as they hear news there is a highly infectious virus in China does not still allow anyone from China or even looks Chinese to enter Spain.

but to not be racist. just lock it down like Taiwan did for all incoming flights.

sadly the creation of coronavirus.es website was an after thought.

a "bandaid" on a broken leg or broken skull. is never going to fix it.

Coronavirus.es is just the Gov. doing publicity after the fact the virus is already "behind their walls".

Like."see? see? we are the Spanish Gov. We created this website Coronavirus.es because we care and want to inform you about this coronavirus that is infecting everyone in Spain."

If I were Spanish? And my 80 year old mother or grandma died because of this? do I really give a crap about your "too late" coronavirus.es website?

Why didn't you stop it from entering our country? why you let people flying direct from China entire Spain? why? because Spanish Gov owes China Money? did Spain default on China issued loans?

This coronavirus.es domain is just scratching the surface of a bigger problem.

I think this happened to many European countries like Italy as well. There is no ignoring the fact that Taiwan has only 7 deaths and it is 81 miles away from China while Spain is over 2 million.

Last edited:
•••
Keep it. Return it. doesn't matter anymore.

Creating a website on Coronavirus.es does not let the Government off the hook for allowing Chinese tourists to direct from Wuhan via hopping from connecting flight to connecting flight but still they came direct from Wuhan.

Coronavirus.es website does not make the Spanish gov a hero.

Hero's protect their people before bad things happen.
Hero's as soon as they hear news there is a highly infectious virus in China does not still allow anyone from China or even looks Chinese to enter Spain.

but to not be racist. just lock it down like Taiwan did for all incoming flights.

sadly the creation of coronavirus.es website was an after thought.

a "bandaid" on a broken leg or broken skull. is never going to fix it.

Coronavirus.es is just the Gov. doing publicity after the fact the virus is already "behind their walls".

Like."see? see? we are the Spanish Gov. We created this website Coronavirus.es because we care and want to inform you about this coronavirus that is infecting everyone in Spain."

If I were Spanish? And my 80 year old mother or grandma died because of this? do I really give a crap about your "too late" coronavirus.es website?

Why didn't you stop it from entering our country? why you let people flying direct from China entire Spain? why? because Spanish Gov owes China Money? did Spain default on China issued loans?

This coronavirus.es domain is just scratching the surface of a bigger problem.

I think this happened to many European countries like Italy as well. There is no ignoring the fact that Taiwan has only 7 deaths and it is 81 miles away from China while Spain is over 2 million.
You're saying bullshit.
No one is going to buy that domain from you to do something good with it.
If someone buys it, they will make money and the only way to do it is to create a site stealing personal data from the population or sell them some garbage.
ICANN should ban all domains with the word coronavirus and covid now.

•••
The domain is being put to good use under an emergency appropriation act.

If it saves just one life, it was worth it IMO.

Move on mate ;)

•••
The domain is being put to good use under an emergency appropriation act.

If it saves just one life, it was worth it IMO.

Move on mate ;)

true of course I agree. It’s just the way things were handle. Nothing formal. Like a “dear John letter” but instead of a breakup or dumping its for a domain.

it’s wasn’t “hello we are Spain gov. We need coronavirus.es to save people.”

I mean seriously who would say no to that? Instead they did stealth mode. Had probably their web design team contact me as whoever but not Spain gov. So of course I’d try sell it with a price. I don’t know who it is really so it was business as usual.

I REPEAT. I DID NOT CONTACT SPAIN GOV TO SELL CORONAVIRUS.ES.

In fact, on paper. I registered it and forgot about it honestly. Then i got an inquiry from SOMEONE I don’t know who. it was from a free email account. So could have been ANYONE. typically we all know this scenario. You reg a nice domain. You get random emails from domain flippers offering $100- $1000 on a domain that’s worth more.

our response typically will be enduser pricing $10k to $100k just to make them go away.

in any other scenario this would just be any other day in the life of a domainer. Nothing disgusting or “in poor character”. Just an average day for a domainer.

So via stealth mode Spanish gov finds out what my price is via their web design team.

as with any buyer of a domain name. There is the stupid factor and anger factor. Buyers are pissed that you are sitting on a domain they want or need. A domain they could have gotten for just handreg prices. In normal domain negotiations if a buyer has the opportunity to “muscle” a seller into handing over a domain for Free? They would take that route 100% of the time. We all know this already.

but in my scenario it was not just your run of the mill buyer. It was Gov. A Gov that has the power to take your domain at their extension.

Spain Gov didn’t like my price. Next move? Just take it. No formalities just take it. Not even a “may we have it to save the Spanish people?” Nope. That would be out of the question? Too hard? Or maybe they found out I was Filipino? And figured “we’ve taken stuff from the Philippines before by force. What makes this any different?”

Again I have no problem with the domain being taken to save people. It’s “how” it was taken.

also at the time of registration I WASN’T like “hey look at all these people dying from coronavirus. Let me go register exact matches for cornavirus in cctld’s and make a bunch of money.”

NO NEVER THAT.

at the time. Coronavirus wasn’t huge as it is now. BEAR THAT IN MIND. Do not put the horse before the carriage or chicken before the egg. Or make BLANKET STATEMENTS. Back then it was just a tiny insignificant topic. It had not killed millions. In fact, I don’t even think at the time of reg corona had killed anyone yet. Just a lot of people infected. Someone please fact check me.

all that was trending was this highly contagious Viral infection from Wuhan. That’s it. No deaths. Maybe some deaths but not thousands or hundreds of thousands.

in the domain biz for most it all boils down to being FIRST to register and THEN deal with the other stuff. It’s a reflex and instinct. Be first and deal with the social repercussions later if any.

so to be clear. It was only immoral to register coronavirus.es when a lot of people started dying from it. Had coronavirus been just like sars or h1n1 then there would not be such animosity because those came and went.

If you are not first to register the exact match then you are out the loop. Period.

of course time will tell if a domain reg is bad or good over time. You really have no control over this.

as the owner of coronavirus.es I had every opportunity to create my own information website if I had time. Yes I do sell domains but I am not a one trick pony. I CAN OR COULD develop a domain.

As far as the mentality of registering coronavirus.es and if it’s a bad or good thing it also boils down to the simple facts

1. Domaining is all about being FIRST.
2. Coronavirus.com was registered since 2002.
3. Coronavirus.net 2018.
4. Has coronavirus killed thousands? Or millions at time of reg?
5. At time of reg are there emd domains for diseases and viruses that have killed less then 1000? Or millions? ( you know they are out there)

I mean if the only premise that coronavirus.es registration or any other COVID and ncov domain reg is evil or bad BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE SUFFERING OR HAVE DIED. Then ok let’s go with that.

the same “evil label” should be on domains like

spanishflu.com
Or
Hivaids.com
Or
Mesothelioma.com
Or
Cancer.com
Or
Ebola.com
Or
Malaria.com
Or if you want to go with just suffering.

Accident.com
Or
Injury.com
Or
Syphillis.com
Or
Gonorhea.com

should the .com and .net surrender these domains to gov agencies.

coronavirus.com was part of Frank Shilling’s portfolio and now Godaddy’s. We all respect and admire Frank for his accomplishment.

I don’t see anyone trashing his name for owning coronavirus.com. It should not matter that it was registered back in 2002. I mean what else could coronavirus.com have been used for?

nobody seems to be picketing or protesting against Godaddy for not “doing the right thing” and handing over Coronavirus.com for free to a gov org to help the world in the face of all the deaths caused by COVID.

maybe they should?

what godaddy DID do was do the right thing and point it to who.int. But THAT was their CHOICE. Coronavirus.com wasn’t handed over for free to who.int . Well you never know. Maybe Godaddy is renting it to who.int ? Probably free I think.

So THAT CHOICE was TAKEN from me. PERIOD. Because the Spain gov has power over .es .

which leads you to the ultimate takeaway here. Do not register .es domains or any other cctld’s. They can take it from you for whatever reason they choose fit and it doesn’t necessarily need to be for virus info website but something big like business.es or iot.es or Barcelona.es or Madrid.es. or even virus.es. So why waste your money on a risk?

also I feel that registries should take responsibility for protecting its user from such confiscations and not make it so easy.

@Marcaria.com

Note Virus.es is a url shortener for coronavirus.es. It does not point to coronavirus.es nor does Covid.es which is url shortener for COVID19.es which points to coronavirus.es . Just noticed this now.

what makes virus.es or COVID.es different?

if you are going to be the big bada** Gov then why not across the board confiscate virus.es and COVID.es ? I mean if I have all the power I would.

Again. I am happy and glad that coronavirus.es is doing good. Absolutely.
I have an 80 year old mom I take care of and try to protect from coronavirus. I can relate with the need to do everything possible to save people.

My only issue is the way it was taken from me. There were better ways to do it. More civilized ways. Proper ways.

I am Filipino. Philippines was Colonized by Spain. Raped and killed by Spain. People turned into slaves. Land taken to plant sugar cane and other resources. For me? This whole thing just does not sit too well with me with HOW IT WAS TAKEN.

I’m think I’m done venting here. God bless the PEOPLE OF SPAIN. with the government the Spanish people have that’s not looking out for them from the START they are going to need it.

Actually America is worse off with 22.9 million cases.

things DID NOT need to be like this. Just look at Taiwan.

period.

•••
•••
•••
Remember how insane things got during the plandemic. Crazy.

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back