NameSilo

Coronavirus.es confiscated temporarily by Spanish Government.

Labeled as information in Legal Discussion, started by WhoaDomain.com, Mar 19, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.com WhoaDomain.com VIP Gold Account

you're probably right. right now people are rushing rushing rushing and bulk registering coronavirus + whatever.com and whatever+coronavirus.com.

no disrespect on those but unless it's something really exact like say

coronavirusnews or coronavirus360 or coronaviruscure or whatever now those are a waste of money in bulk for sure. I'd rather go for emd short as possible. There's 7,951 domain names registered. many for sure are of the combos I mentioned above because everyone loves a .com.

Marcaria already told me if the domain won't be returned that I'll be refunded. so no big deal really.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. dande

dande DomainFlexi.com VIP

It's neither a crime nor immoral to register a pandemic related domain with the hope to sell for profit. How about people that sells hand sanitizer, nose masks, drugs, etc? Are they immoral too? Domainers are known for trying too hard to be more "righteous than thou" and that's why few people respects the industry. The disrespect comes from within.

People sell all sorts of things, including this related to deaths. Why would domain be different?

3. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

on another thought, icann (for non cctlds) or various country governments (for cctlds) could and can easily protect certain domains and keywords during times like these.

and maybe some governments do.. or did.. for coronavirus

apparently spain did not protect this domain, or take it for themselves etc.

i mean if we know about a keyword.. and reg something even before it turns into a crisis.. then at that same time, governments already know about it too.

4. WhoaDomain.com

wait for it. I already know what someone will say next.

that "do you expect the Spain Gov has time to be monitoring certain keywords? They have better things to do like run an entire country and all the problems that job entails."

or something like that.

can't win buddy. some people just want to argue and find a target and hammer them down because they feel they've found a moral high ground.

The thing about moral high grounds though. Those who are on it tend to abuse it. Think Salem witch hunts or Spanish inquisition.

5. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

its that not long and hard.. governments are big institutions with alot of people..
    they have many people work doing jobs far less important or useful than ensuring a domain for upcoming crisis or worldwide infection is reserved.

6. WhoaDomain.com

naah. they have more important things to do. Trust me.

7. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

you mean they think they have more importnat things to do

yeah... i get it... yuor right on the money there lol

8. WhoaDomain.com

yea forgot to say. The way things panned out. It went pretty quick. (assuming the $10K offer wasn't from Spain).

I mean if me and this guy were talking about the buying of this domain. by the time we got to a deal finally and to figure out how to get payment for the domain. Spain would have already taken the domain.

So I think me taking the $10K or not is a moot point really given how quickly Spain took this domain.

Many have said I was greedy and shoulda grabbed the offer but the timing would have worked against the deal. Again this is assuming Spain wasn't the $10K offer.

9. alcy

alcy Top Contributor VIP

i guess for fun of it and to have clarity in your mind instead of speculate, u could have asked those who took it if they tried to buy it for 10k before?

but then if they said yes.. maybe you would become tempted again.

10. NameDeck

NameDeck SaveDotOrg.org VIP

I seem to recall someone quite noteworthy once said:

"ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country"

Fitting, concidering the circumstances. If they'd come and seize my property for the greater good by force I would have no issue with that. As long as they don't abuse their temporary powers.

They reason governments take things by force instead of asking us is that it saves time. Every hour/day matters. They've probably confiscated more domains and what not so again, the best option to protect your country is taking things by force in a time of pandemic/war. Nothing shady about it. If you're worried, read up on Trump's newly obtained powers because of this pandemic. Scary stuff.

11. WhoaDomain.com

I understand this coronavirus thing has people on edge and emotional and it's a hot button topic right now. I can respect that. It's like people just BLACKOUT on this topic and don't listen or read or care about the facts on how this whole thing went down. It's like all reason stops at me being pissed they took it or how I didn't get paid.

I've explained it over and over again but no one wants to listen. so I think I'm done here really. I'll just let all the pissed people talk now but I'm not going to participate.

12. WhoaDomain.com

Yea I read about Trump's new "powers". It's nothing new. It's like that one ACT I forget the name that was enacted I think around WW2 that the US government can at any time confiscate your gold if you have any from your home. I hear it was never removed from the Constitution.

edit: Executive Order 6102

Executive Order 6102 is a United States presidential executive order signed on April 5, 1933, by President Franklin D. Roosevelt "forbidding the hoarding of gold coin, gold bullion, and gold certificates within the continental United States".

Gold Reserve Act

13. WhoaDomain.com

nah rather not stir up a hornets nest. I have my reason for not contacting them directly.

14. WhoaDomain.com

"They reason governments take things by force instead of asking us is that it saves time. Every hour/day matters. They've probably confiscated more domains and what not so again, the best option to protect your country is taking things by force in a time of pandemic/war. Nothing shady about it. "

I have no problems with any of the above but there has to be some sort of civilized process to it. I mean I've seen people evicted from their foreclosed homes. Even in that situation. you are given time to pack up your stuff and vacate the premises. Some take their sweet time or some just don't plan on leaving. until of course the Sheriff shows up.

But even THEN there is still a civilized process to it all. I mean the sheriff can't drag you out by your hair out the house. They can't come in the house while you are sleeping and drag you out in your bed while you are on it and you wake up and you are on the sidewalk already.

15. NameDeck

NameDeck SaveDotOrg.org VIP

Agreed. Not sure how that works in the us but I would suspect it's not much different from how it works over here.

The laws during a state of alarm/emergency are different though. They're designed so you can bypass the whole civilized time consuming process. You just get notice and that's it. Harsh but necessary.

16. WhoaDomain.com

yea that's fine. can't really complain about something I know nothing of the process. If that's what it is than that's what it is. I guess my initial anger stems from not knowing if this was all legit. That's it's typical.

I guess it is. so as I've said many times. I've chalked this up as a loss and move on. waste of time thinking about it. time better spent on domaining. I'll make up for it like someone said with my other domains.

17. poweredbyme

poweredbyme Webmaster & Entrepreneur VIP

governments pay something if they confiscate something you own. Here the domain is not confiscated, is borrowed, hence payment is not needed.

Quantity argument used in the reply below is not correct or is not rational.

If something is bad, it is bad. It does not matter how many people are doing that wrong action or how many similar bad things are already happening. When number of similar bad things or number of people who are doing wrong increases, does the wrong-doing or bad thing become less wrong or more correct? No. This is a fallacy. Quantity of similar examples does not justify a bad thing or does not prove that it's a good thing.

18. WhoaDomain.com

I've said they borrowed it but the "wording" is the domain coronavirus.es has been confiscated due to the Alarm and it will decided later on whether it is returned or not.

So I doubt and many here doubt it will be returned. At this point I just want to wash my hands of it. just a waste of time sitting here replying to every upset person right now. I can't explain it over and over and over again. if no one bothers to read. then it's my duty to waste me time repeating.

Spain took it to use for a good cause and you can see it in real time right now at Coronavirus.es .

Good for them to have had a website up and running and ready to go literally about 2-3 days after they took the domain.

Spain has now surpassed China's death toll.

I wish Spain to survive thru this and the same to the rest of the world. Stay safe and healthy and keep your families and loved ones close but not too close. at least 6 feet away and WASH YOUR HANDS.

19. Jv1999

Jv1999 Spamming Exo: Dark Merc of the Exo-Tower VIP

10k was a dream when you realize you were trying to profit off of a legit global pandemic...LOL.

I mean, people who hoarded hand sanitizer and face masks and tried to sell them... were arrested.

u really should've taken the money and ran so far...

20. jamesall

jamesall BrandEntrance.com VIP Gold Account

Maybe they didn't want you selling it on to David Ike or a site like that.

21. WINNA

WINNA Established Member

CoronaNames.com has over 500 Corona Names for sale including CoronaBeers.com

Let's see if any of those get hijacked!

22. WhoaDomain.com

yea. well keep in mind the timing. They contacted. They offered. then offered again. did not like it. decided to give it to them for free. They they were psyched. They were happy. but then for some strange reason they decided to offer one last time $10K but with one little remark that to me sounded like a scare tactic to make me sell.

everyone says "take the money and run" but I am and we all are still not sure if Spain and these $10K offer guy was one and the same. If they weren't then doesn't matter if I take the offer because Spain was right around the corner about to drop the bomb on me and take the domain.

Then I'd be in a hassle of having accepted the offer and doing this whole process of transferring it out. meanwhile Spain takes it?

would have been a hassle.

So the whole "shoulda taken the offer and run" is kinda moot really.

of course there is a chance the $10K offer was Spain. in which case YES I shoulda taken the offer.

But why bother making an offer if you can just take it? Doesn't make sense.

but thanks though.

23. WhoaDomain.com

doubt it. Their .com's and I don't think .com is a country owned extension is it? or are .com's owned by the US?

24. WhoaDomain.com

just to follow up. Strange thing.

I assumed this domain was just taken out of my Marcaria account. Last night I was doing a bulk DNS change to my efty dns servers.

Something I've been forgetting to do for awhile finally got around to it.

I did it in bulk. was tired so just did it quickly.

Today got an email from Marcaria stating that the DNS change I started for Coronavirus.es could not be started due to it's current situation.

Then I checked my account and lo and behold. coronavirus.es was still in my marcaria account. I was able to go thru the motions of actually changing the DNS on the domain. Luckly Marcaria caught it? or maybe they couldn't change the DNS?

Glad they caught it or whatever.

I would have been ripped a new one by 46 million Spaniards. Imagine Instead of the current Coronavirus.es content? Spaniards instead saw my Efty sales landing page? lol

I would have gotten an Espada up my culo by 46.66 million Spaniards! lol

Thing is though. The current whois for the domain is not me it's the head of RED.es.

So I really don't know what is going on. I just figured it was gone and that's it. very weird. Just thought I'd update you guys. Every bit of info is always useful to the next person who experiences this.

25. dande

dande DomainFlexi.com VIP

Here's what likely took place:

They made the offer in good faith, with the intention to buy it off you. But when you resisted the $10k, they got incensed and lost every respects for you. With the obvious confirmation that you're just a greedy hodler, they decided to take it by force.

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice