IT.COM

question Confused about backorder auction

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hi this is the first time I tried to backorder a domain name and I'm confused about a few things.
Was hoping I can get some clarification from experience domainers.

1) I submitted backorder purchase through SnapNames and DropCatch because I read that doing both increases changes. Is this true?

2) Since there are other interested buyers, it is now being sent to Auction. DropCatch already shows the Auction in Progress with bidders and highest bid so far. However, SnapNames says status is still in Backorder but allows me to put a maximum bid, but doesn't show any of the current details of Auction in Progress.

Is this because only one Domain Catching service can really "catch it" and put it in Auction? If so, weird how SnapNames is still allowing me to put a max bid.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
If dropcatch caught it then no need to check snap for this one.

Just bid on dropcatch and if you win you will get it.

Good luck

•••
If dropcatch caught it then no need to check snap for this one.

Just bid on dropcatch and if you win you will get it.

Good luck

does that mean only one official domain catching service can catch it and push it to auction, and all other services are left out of the auction then? just trying to learn, thank you!

•••
does that mean only one official domain catching service can catch it and push it to auction, and all other services are left out of the auction then? just trying to learn, thank you!

Great question.

There are three main players in .com catching right now for names at least for names that are above average.

Dropcatch
Snapnames
Namejet

If you order on dropcatch then only people on dropcatch can be on it regardless if they preordered ot not.

If you ordered on snapnames and namejet caught it or reverse, all bidders can bid.

For names that do not have many people after them, catchers like namesilo, dynadot might get them.

You did the right thing by ordering on dc and snap. If a name means something to you do not risk it or you will be upset.

Another main difference between dropcatch and snapnames/namejet is that on dropcatch anyone can bid, on snapnames/namejet you needed to place a backorder to place bids.

Also be prepared that most action will happen the last few minutes of an auction. Set your max price in your mind now so you know now to go over it even as the action heats up at the end. Good luck and if you win share it with us.

•••
Great question.

There are three main players in .com catching right now for names at least for names that are above average.

Dropcatch
Snapnames
Namejet

If you order on dropcatch then only people on dropcatch can be on it regardless if they preordered ot not.

If you ordered on snapnames and namejet caught it or reverse, all bidders can bid.

For names that do not have many people after them, catchers like namesilo, dynadot might get them.

You did the right thing by ordering on dc and snap. If a name means something to you do not risk it or you will be upset.

Another main difference between dropcatch and snapnames/namejet is that on dropcatch anyone can bid, on snapnames/namejet you needed to place a backorder to place bids.

Also be prepared that most action will happen the last few minutes of an auction. Set your max price in your mind now so you know now to go over it even as the action heats up at the end. Good luck and if you win share it with us.

A million thanks! I would have never known this without your explanation. May you have a great day!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back