IT.COM

Compass.com on auction @ $1,000,000

NameSilo
Watch
It's not very frequent that you see a 6-figure domain on auction, but Compass.com is being auctioned at Sedo, currently at 1 million.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
has 1 bid already. Strangely they did not make domain to redirect to the auction page (i.e. you will not know it is on auction by visiting Compass.com - it is still "make offer" )

•••
I was gonna post this yesterday.
Someone has alot of money coming they way soon.

•••
I smell something..............

Bull$hit

That bid is as accurate as Sedo appraisals.

IMO

•••
well, if you read the description on the auction page, they advertise it as the free type-in traffic this domain receives in 1 year is equivalent to $800K advertisement for keyword "compass", so 1M for it starting bid is a steal

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

They could do a better job faking its Alexa traffic rank though - currently only 782,329

$800K/year in advertisement fees for this little traffic - give me a break unless it is methothelioma keyword

•••
I smell something..............

Bull$hit

That bid is as accurate as Sedo appraisals.

IMO

Just the way I see it, shill bid no doubt.

It would be interesting to know how many visitors the site actually gets, since most people don't where north, south, east and west are, nor do they care... Owner must really think it's something though.

•••
That's domainer thinking.

Compass can be a brand that doesn't have anything to do with directions, just like Shell or Apple. And if you are a legit brand, traffic will come later because you have legit goods to offer. The important thing is to secure your brand.

•••
That's domainer thinking.

Compass can be a brand that doesn't have anything to do with directions, just like Shell or Apple. And if you are a legit brand, traffic will come later because you have legit goods to offer. The important thing is to secure your brand.

Of course "compass" is a very brandable name for many niches.

But the question here is the validity of the one million dollar offer.

An offer or negotiation of that caliber would not be posted on Sedo for public auction.

Were they anticipating other companies to come and place a higher bid? LOL.

:imho:

•••
Were they anticipating other companies to come and place a higher bid? LOL.

Shill bidders always do.

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Compass can be a brand that doesn't have anything to do with directions, just like Shell or Apple.

Shell or Apple or most other private companies don't freely dish out a Million dollars, that's just not the way it works, they instead do their best to secure the lowest price, even if it means hiring a broker to do it... Just like when Walt Disney secretly paid real estate brokers to buy up all that land in Orlando, known as Disney World.

Too may domainers have this preconceived notion that because corporate giants have really deep pockets, they will pay the inflated price, simply NOT so.

Last edited:
•••
I was reacting to the perception that the word "Compass" is only significant for people searching for directions (Boy Scouts included), and therefore "compass" should have no valuable traffic to be even worth boatloads of money.

It would be interesting to know how many visitors the site actually gets, since most people don't where north, south, east and west are, nor do they care...

What i said was, "Compass" can be a prized-possession "brand" that does not need to have anything to do about looking where the North Pole is located. It can be a brand of a luxury watch or whatever.

Let's remove the $1 million dollars price tag from the discussion. If i were a buyer looking for a "brand" for my legit business, how LOW the traffic is for that domain right now, has no meaning to me. I will create traffic, because i have legit content and have bonafide goods and services to offer. Traffic would be a non-issue to me.

•••
$1,000,000 (obo) is the listing price, not what has been bid, so the shill comments are moot.
Nowhere does it say there has been a 1mil offer, just 18 bids (so far) and I cant see what they are, can you?

Peace,
Cy

•••
It's not very frequent that you see a 6-figure domain on auction, but Compass.com is being auctioned at Sedo, currently at 1 million.

Isn't $1,000,000 a 7 figure domain? :)

•••
•••
Back