Dynadot

survey Common excuses for a buyer not being able to afford a domain.

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
So, I'm sure we've all had a bunch of excuses given as to why a potential buyer can't afford a particular domain. For me, I find there are 2 common reasons (whether truthful or not) that buyers give:
The second is - "We are just a startup and can't afford to spend much on a domain at this time".
The winner, though, is - "I am a student and I just need this domain for a school project".
Really? You're a student and you're dropping $500 - $1k on a domain? Not too sure I believe that but nice try.
To be honest though, I really think buyers should be more imaginative!

Interested to hear, what's the most common excuse you guys all receive, and better still - what's the most imaginative you've had?!

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I’m a Student :)

Last edited:
•••
Most imaginative? Wedding gift. Not too common excuse.

Also -

Offer: $50. I am a domainer.

(quote end). At least, this domainer is honest. Some others are "playing" endusers...

Real endusers, especially after reviewing comparable sales from dnjournal etc., often start to explain how bad the domain name is, obviously does not worth "that much". Why they still want the domain then?

At least they should establish direct contact, with or without excuses, especially if there is a contact form. Hiding via brokers like domainagents would not help to get it cheaper.

Or, they may not get it at all. (Domainagents, you are still using escrow .com to process sales. As the result, your inquires are instantly ignored. Nothing personal.)

Last edited:
•••
eg: I found a 3 word name and they only want on $100 and you want 10 x that for 2 words. It won't just equate to twice the business. Some don't understand what they are buying or why one is better than next.

Last edited:
•••
I'm student and I need money, and by flipping this domain I will make a nice profit..(they don't say it, but maybe they mean it).

•••
And the number 1 answer is:

I am a Reseller.

Who is not a Reseller here?

•••
One of the most recent excuses was:

We are two young guys doing a startup so capital is extremely tight.

Offered low $XXX on a $2K+ domain name. I must say the whole approach was very smart. They forced me to think and carefully craft each email to gently pull their offer up to $1,700 (sale price).

•••
Most imaginative? Wedding gift. Not too common excuse.
That's a good one. I haven't had that before.
Yes - the 'I'm a domainer' is common enough too - but to me that's pretty legit. I'd prefer to know it up-front, then can decide whether I want to sell at wholesale or not. Only a domainer usually knows what a domainer is, so I have no problem with that...

•••
We're a Non-Profit Organization, so can you please donate the org domain.

When I looked into it, the CEO gets payed a small fortune!

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
I have this inquiry to one of my domain.

"We would like to buy this domain because of the word "***" that forms part of the word "***" which is a mountain in a very small town where I come from in *** We would like to use this domain for an informative website."

:xf.eek::xf.eek:

•••
And the number 1 answer is:

I am a Reseller.

Who is not a Reseller here?

If they are resellers, it is good that they tell us about it, because they can't be lying. They would never say "I'm an enduser" even if they are.

•••
we want to donate that domain ( same as his lastname ) to our college on his 50th birthday

we can't afford xx

all we got is xx
I will add xx from my own money to make it happen

-------------------

consultant office now
(looks like boston legal)

Last edited:
•••
I've just received the "student" treatment :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

•••
Back