Dynadot

discuss Commercial keyword with .ORG: Worth it?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Do you see value in commercial keyword + .ORG extension?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes totally

vote
    5.3%
  • Yes depends on the keyword

votes
    63.2%
  • No, I don't see any value

votes
    15.8%
  • Sometimes, multiple factors involved

votes
    15.8%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Impact
I have been looking at different domain names and their potential and one of the combinations that I am never able to wrap my head against, is the commercial keyword + .ORG names.

For example, Laptop.org or GamingLaptop.org:
  • Who would be the buyer and how does the .org help it?
  • What would be the use case?
  • Does it even make sense?
  • What would the buyer do with a such a keyword in .ORG?
So many questions pop up. Do you see value in commercial keyword + .ORG names? If yes, where and how?
Why or why not does it make sense?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For the domain like GamingLaptop.org, It's good for review website. Content creator may love it.
It can generate profit from building review website + affiliate link.
As soon as the price is right, It make sense for Content creators to acquired it. Because people may prefer to use .org due to SEO.

•••
There's no reason why a dot org domain name cannot be used on a commercial (for-profit) website selling and or promoting ethical products and or services. Many if not most of the most popular cryptocurrency websites use dot org and they are hardly charitable enterprises. You be the judge if they are ethically motivated. Also note your point about dot org's current power in search engine rankings. But I'd have a hard time registering a dot org for use on a commercial website selling and or promoting non-ethical products and or services.

Last edited:
•••
For the domain like GamingLaptop.org, It's good for review website. Content creator may love it.
It can generate profit from building review website + affiliate link.
As soon as the price is right, It make sense for Content creators to acquired it. Because people may prefer to use .org due to SEO.
I didn't know about the SEO part. Does .org have a better SEO than .COM?
I agree and but that's it, right? You can't build an e-commerce store or something like that. It has to be a review or a content site with affiliate/Adsense etc.

There's no reason why a dot org domain name cannot be used on a commercial (for-profit) website selling and or promoting ethical products and or services. Many if not most of the most popular cryptocurrency websites use dot org and they are hardly charitable enterprises. You be the judge if they are ethically motivated. Also note your point about dot org's current power in search engine rankings. But I'd have a hard time registering a dot org for use on a commercial website selling and or promoting non-ethical products and or services.
Agreed, in certain industries, for example, crypto, this might work. But what about, in general?
Does it work across industries and use cases in general?

•••
I agree and but that's it, right? You can't build an e-commerce store or something like that. It has to be a review or a content site with affiliate/Adsense etc.

Agreed, in certain industries, for example, crypto, this might work. But what about, in general?
Does it work across industries and use cases in general?
Try it and see what happens. What didn't work yesterday might work tomorrow.

•••
Most times, .org has a better spam score than .com

•••
Google claims that domain extension does not impact SEO, while others believe it does. If you were to sell a domain like GamingLaptop.org to an end user, they would be buying it because they think that an exact match keyword domain will do better in search. They might want to spend $400 on GamingLaptop.org and create a niche website that only focuses on gaming laptops and refers people to Amazon, making them $25 a day ($9,000 a year) and paying off the $400 domain.

Last edited:
•••
Google claims that domain extension does not impact SEO, while others believe it does. If you were to sell a domain like GamingLaptop.org to an end user, they would be buying it because they think that an exact match keyword domain will do better in search. They might want to spend $400 on GamingLaptop.org and create a niche website that only focuses on gaming laptops and refers people to Amazon, making them $25 a day ($9,000 a year) and paying off the $400 domain.
You are my favourite teddy bear.

•••
I utilize urns org to redirect to houseofurns com, and it receives substantial traffic from it

•••
In certain sectors .org has a strong user base in for-profit or near for profit areas.

I voted yes, but depends on keyword.

In my daily look through NameBio sales, .org with commercial keyword seem to sell pretty regularly.

I think as availability of strong single word .com dries up, at least in budget range of smaller businesses, that .org is one of several considered extensions.

As @FolioTeam noted, generally .org is slightly better than .com in spam, phishing and other types of abuse.

I did an analysis where I looked at 536 .org names that had sold for more than $1000 and long enough they could be developed. Some were difficult to characterize, but I found slightly more than half, about 54%, of those that were developed were in use by for-profit.

https://www.namepros.com/blog/who-is-buying-org-domain-names.1250064/

The article also looks at sectors, that is relevant to your question.

Bob

•••
I utilize urns org to redirect to houseofurns com, and it receives substantial traffic from it
Golden nuggets of information buried deep within Namepros threads.

•••
In certain sectors .org has a strong user base in for-profit or near for profit areas.

I voted yes, but depends on keyword.

In my daily look through NameBio sales, .org with commercial keyword seem to sell pretty regularly.

I think as availability of strong single word .com dries up, at least in budget range of smaller businesses, that .org is one of several considered extensions.

As @FolioTeam noted, generally .org is slightly better than .com in spam, phishing and other types of abuse.

I did an analysis where I looked at 536 .org names that had sold for more than $1000 and long enough they could be developed. Some were difficult to characterize, but I found slightly more than half, about 54%, of those that were developed were in use by for-profit.

https://www.namepros.com/blog/who-is-buying-org-domain-names.1250064/

The article also looks at sectors, that is relevant to your question.

Bob
Let me check this out. Your analysis threads are another level!

•••
There are different types of profit. There is ethical for-profit, ethical non-profit, non-ethical non-profit and non-ethical for-profit. I think it's important to make a clear distinction when researching the dot org extension's many potential and actual end users. Generally speaking a non-ethical for-profit website should NOT be using a dot org under any circumstances. That's not what dot org was intended for, regardless of what it can be used for (which is anything). I think dot org websites should be more closely regulated in some way but hard to say what type of restriction would work across a global end user base. More questions than answers. That's what I love and hate about Namepros.

•••
This has escalated quickly. not even 24 hours in a 10-day auction!

http://wrigley.org/

Guess .org still holds its value!

Last edited:
•••
Commerce-based .org is great to develop on, but not always great as a resale play. For resale, I want .org to fit the term better. Medical, group, organizations, etc.

•••
It really depends... People tend to forget about the fact that org isnt just a cool sounding word but infact mean organization...

for something like rainforest.org -> or wildlife.org or something where a group is going to band togeather for one cause then yea org is the domain for that cause...

but people see something like videogameScreen.org -> no thats pointless becuase it's not going with the conventions of org domains.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back