IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It is irrelevant if they lost or made money , i am talking about the .co average price , and as i pointed earlier there is 100K .co domains at Sedo Vs 8.2 Million .com at Sedo , so the number of sales is irrelevant , what matters is the percentages .......

Percentages don't matter. It's about profitability IMO. You could own the best .co domain and struggle to profit with it. You could own the best .com and profit with ease.

There are a select few investors who bought up all the best .co at the launch. Ask them how that worked out! They would have been better off buying 1 or 2 solid .com.

How much money have you made with .co ;)

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Then we agree , and if hand regs are worthless in .co then it is much worthless in .com as well so where that leaves us ?

That statement couldn't be more wrong.

•••
Don't believe me? Try giving away a great keyword .mobi. No takers!

hmm this is kinda true but we need to agree on what a great keyword is. it gets stretched wayyyyyyy out there..

when i look back at the .mobi story so far people were paying stupid prices for crap i wouldnt even hand register and when the reality finally set in that most people were living inside a giant irrational aftermarket bubble it went in the complete opposite direction.

one of the reasons (i think) for this is .mobi came out during the aspiring domainer peak of things (end of 2006).. and while there were alternate TLD's that came out before this there wernt nearly as many people involved that didnt know what they were doing. some treaded carefully because of this but most converted that excitement and uncertainty into throwing piles of money in the air.

random LLL.mobi for $200+... seriously?

•••
whats your proof , i see .co sales at sedo all over the place , anyway even 500$ is a profit ...
There are sales for any extension. But statically the odds of being the seller aren't great.
In .mobi there was a sustained flow of sales for two years then - poof nothing.
Keep in mind .co is still in the spotlight and enjoys some novelty but less and less. Those domains that sold for 5 figures not long ago would sell for less now.

Yes, a profit of $500 is good but the risk is very high and if you are stuck with dozens of unsold domains your profit is nullified.

there are 100K .co domains at Sedo Vs 8.2 Million .coms , so the number of sales is irrelevant , what matters is the percentages
Percentages are not a relevant measure. The likelihood of a sale is something different. If you have a very good domain the likelihood is higher.
But many sales involved domains that were not bought at standard regfee. So the actual profit may be low, possibly negative in a number of cases.

Then we agree , and if hand regs are worthless in .co then it is much worthless in .com as well so where that leaves us ?
That's what I said earlier, it's going be difficult to make serious money on handregs.

•••
Percentages don't matter. It's about profitability IMO. You could own the best .co domain and struggle to profit with it. You could own the best .com and profit with ease.

There are a select few investors who bought up all the best .co at the launch. Ask them how that worked out! They would have been better off buying 1 or 2 solid .com.

How much money have you made with .co ;)

How come percentages don't matter ? so if we have 10 sales for every 1 Million then that's bad but if we have 20 sales for 100 Million domains then that's better ? wake up mate :O , and come here how many domainers made money form the .com bubble extension ? percentage wise dont tell me 100 cuz that doesn't mean anything ...

•••
That statement couldn't be more wrong.

going to say that myself but didn't want to get in to 3 pages of further debate.

Ill witness that Keith in fact gave it a good go on trying to make money with dot co and he knows what he is doing. So its not looking to good for those with lesser experience jumping in the co pool now.

•••
going to say that myself but didn't want to get in to 3 pages of further debate.

Ill witness that Keith in fact gave it a good go on trying to make money with dot co and he knows what he is doing. So its not looking to good for those with lesser experience jumping in the co pool now.

lets take look at reg domains in both extensions :

1.3 Million of the best names in the .co taken
105 Million of the best names of .com are taken ...

who is the moron that thinks what is still available at .com is better than what is still available at .co ?

•••
How come percentages don't matter ? so if we have 10 sales for every 1 Million then that's bad but if we have 20 sales for 100 Million domains then that's better ? wake up mate :O , and come here how many domainers made money form the .com bubble extension ? percentage wise dont tell me 100 cuz that doesn't mean anything ...

There are thousands and thousands of noteworthy .com sales compared to a few handfuls of .co sales.

I'm not saying it's impossible to turn a profit here because I've done it. As we move forward, chances of making a buck with .co will greatly decrease though!

•••
Sdsinc :

It is all about percentages , you cant run away from it , yes there are alot of volume at .com but there ******* 105 Million .coms . yes there are many .com sales at Sedo but there are 8.25 Million parked .coms ! 8.2 Million ...
After that fact guys u went back to quality and keywords ! but it is harder and more expensive and impossible to get at the .com extension ...
so we are back to square one ...
It is about the domain name period

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:30 AM ----------

There are thousands and thousands of noteworthy .com sales compared to a few handfuls of .co sales.

I'm not saying it's impossible to turn a profit here because I've done it. As we move forward, chances of making a buck with .co will greatly decrease though!

Doesn't mean anything and how many aren't sold yet i leave it to the reader ...

•••
lets take look at reg domains in both extensions :

1.3 Million of the best names in the .co taken
105 Million of the best names of .com are taken ...

who is the moron that thinks what is still available at .com is better than what is still available at .co ?

The funny thing is that I used to think this way years ago. Then I gained experience through research and listening to folks who've been there and done that. Dot com is your best bet to make money in this business!

•••
The funny thing is that I used to think this way years ago. Then I gained experience through research and listening to folks who've been there and done that. Dot com is your best bet to make money in this business!

Did you read anything from the posts i've made , do i have to choose between extensions ...

•••
Doesn't mean anything and how many aren't sold yet i leave it to the reader ...
Are you forgetting about development? That's why percentages can't be compared. Millions of .com are developed and are not for sale.

•••

This has already been addressed:

You are correct that people reg worthless names everyday in every extension including .com. We are not debating that.

What we are talking about here is the core value, short and long term of an extension.

•••
It is about the domain name period

that would be nice and rational.. but people associate .com with importance.

if you are speculating that will change overtime and the world will be more accepting of alternate TLD's - im with you. the question is how to not lose money until that happens..

•••
Did you read anything from the posts i've made , do i have to choose between extensions ...

Depends on the size of your wallet and if you want to make money.

•••
that would be nice and rational.. but people associate .com with importance.

if you are speculating that will change overtime and the world will be more accepting of alternate TLD's - im with you. the question is how to not lose money until that happens..

same word .com Vs .co , ofcourse .com is better no questions asked , but to get the same quality at .com is nearly impossible and it is harder because of the competition and more expensive as well so whats the point from keeping trolling and spamming the thread with the same posts over and over again at the end most of domainers lose especially .coms , and above all that i don't have to choose between extensions you get my point mate...

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

This has already been addressed:
You are correct that people reg worthless names everyday in every extension including .com. We are not debating that.

What we are talking about here is the core value, short and long term of an extension.

yes exactly it has been already addressed :

.com is better

.com is better

.com is better

.com is better

.com is better

How many times you have to mention this ? we agree period

•••
same word .com Vs .co , ofcourse .com is better no questions asked , but to get the same quality at .com is nearly impossible and it is harder because of the competition and more expensive as well so whats the point from keeping trolling and spamming the thread with the same posts over and over again at the end most of domainers lose especially .coms , and above all that i don't have to choose between extensions you get my point mate...

here is the problem for right now, in 2012: normal people do not agree that .CO is a good alternative. it would be rational yes.. but we are not talking about whats rational, we're talking about perception.

nobody in this thread is trolling. its a discussion with different viewpoints. trolling means something completely different. its when you are being disingenuous with your comments. that is trolling. simply having a different viewpoint is not trolling..

•••
but to get the same quality at .com is nearly impossible and it is harder because of the competition and more expensive

You're thinking appears to be, hey, it's not feasible to get cash.com so I might as well get cash.co.

I'm saying, what good is cash.co if you can't sell it for profit or develop it? You're better off registering keywordcash.com no matter what.

•••
here is the problem for right now, in 2012: normal people do not agree that .CO is a good alternative. it would be rational yes.. but we are not talking about whats rational, we're talking about perception.

nobody in this thread is trolling. its a discussion with different viewpoints. trolling means something completely different. its when you are being disingenuous with your comments. that is trolling. simply having a different viewpoint is not trolling..

Keeping posting a simple fact that we all agree on ( .com better ) is trolling , why not go to other threads .in .ca .me ... etc , it is ok to make a point but to keep repeating it is stupid , you came late here , but that discussion or useless debate took pages over pages for nothing at the end we discovered that they speculate in .cr , and another member at the debate here sold his 3 .coms plus 1 .org for a whopping 5 $ !!

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

You're thinking appears to be, hey, it's not feasible to get cash.com so I might as well get cash.co.

I'm saying, what good is cash.co if you can't sell it for profit or develop it? You're better off registering keywordcash.com no matter what.

Do you want me to buy donatecash.com !! from you ? is that whats this all about ? :wave:

•••
Keeping posting a simple fact that we all agree on ( .com better ) is trolling , why not go to other threads .in .ca .me ... etc , it is ok to make a point but to keep repeating it is stupid , you came late here , but that discussion or useless debate took pages over pages for nothing at the end we discovered that they speculate in .cr , and another member at the debate here sold his 3 .coms plus 1 .org for a whopping 5 $ !!

no, trolling would be if they really did not think .COM was better but they were posting it anyway to get a reaction out of you. the key here is intent.

there was a troll that used to frequent the .mobi section. his name was Jeff. the reason he was a troll is he would post things he really didnt believe. he often pretended to support the .mobi TLD and had a passive aggressive attitude.

i know it may not look like it - but the tone here is pretty friendly and people just sharing their ideas. its all cool. B-)

•••
Do you want me to buy donatecash.com !! from you ? is that whats this all about ? :wave:

You caught me! All my posts in this thread were masterminded to get my domain sold.

Seriously, I understand your thinking about keywords in .com vs .whatever but I don't agree with it. Good luck!

•••
If everyone who wants to post why .CO isn't a good investment didn't post?
Then this thread would die a natural death ...

Has to be worth a try, no?

•••
Can you please share the good Spanish keywords you've got in .co, or any personal sales that we should know about.

Since you asked, I have aqui.co.

Acquired via Godaddy closeout.

However, I'm under no illusions here; no bites whatsoever.

Perhaps Colombians have their third level domains set up and see .co as a curiosity.

I'll hold my three one-worders for a few years yet; perhaps .co will blossom like .me seems to have done.

•••
My advice is let your .co names expire (most all other extensions too except some CC's, .com and .org). dot-co's are basically worthless and get no traffic worth mentioning. Only Michael Mann was highly successful in selling them.

Making .co even more valueless is what with 1,900 new extensions soon the dot-co extension will get totally lost in a virtual blizzard of new extensions without any valid attributes to help it survive, such as dot-com and dot-org do in-fact have.

•••
Are you forgetting about development? That's why percentages can't be compared. Millions of .com are developed and are not for sale.

No i was comparing Sedo's parked domains ...

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

My advice is let your .co names expire (most all other extensions too except some CC's, .com and .org). dot-co's are basically worthless and get no traffic worth mentioning. Only Michael Mann was highly successful in selling them.

Making .co even more valueless is what with 1,900 new extensions soon the dot-co extension will get totally lost in a virtual blizzard of new extensions without any valid attributes to help it survive, such as dot-com and dot-org do in-fact have.

My advice to let most of your .coms drop as well :wave:

•••
Keeping posting a simple fact that we all agree on ( .com better ) is trolling

Forget about .com. We are not debating that .com is better then .co.

It's a no brainer that we all agree on that point.

Once again we are talking about future and present investment in the .co extension.

The opinion that I have is that the .co extension, along with many others are a dead end road when it comes to stable long term investments.

and another member at the debate here sold his 3 .coms plus 1 .org for a whopping 5 $ !!

If you think thats bad, you should have seen what a couple of my .co keywords went for in the past $1 auctions. :lol:

I having trouble understanding what relevance this has on the subject. ??

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back