IT.COM
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Last edited by a moderator:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Despite what some think, it's time to let go of your .co :imho:

Research shows that a handful own the best keywords. They'll be stubborn and ride it to the ground while trying to get top $ for fading domains. Not a market I want to be in!

•••
The big drop is not an end-point it's a cycle. As frustrated investors drop their .CO domains, fresh investors move in and pick up the drops. Then the process repeats creating a declining cycle. Each year there are then fewer and fewer new investors to pickup the drops and hence the extension fades into the background as it's replaced with newly marketed extensions. This is a repeatable predictable pattern.
The strange thing is how long the drop/reregistration pattern lasts. The biggest drops are typically those in the first two years following the landrush but it can be sustained over five or more years. The .eu Landrush dumps are a good indication of what might be ahead for .co ccTLD. The graph below actually shows the Landrush drop echo from 2007 to 2012:

http://www.hosterstats.com/eu-domain-name-registrations.php

The fact that COInternet doesn't publish accurate figures makes it harder to measure the effect of the drop patterns.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
Well drops or not i don't care it doesn't matter if you have solid keyword .co especially Spanish ones , cuz Colombia will be there and the extension will be there , and with single keywords there are no alternatives so it doesn't matter to me if .co has 9 Million regs or 1 M , it is still a cctld and some consider it as gtld , either way a dictionary word is a dictionary word as long as it is product related why will i drop it , just to switch to the .com bubble extension ? and to be honest most of the .com is worthless , i think .com domainers should let their domains go honestly what a crappy names in that extension ...

•••
Research shows that a handful own the best keywords.

That's true for .com as well. All the best keywords are either owned by the big time domainers or the large companies/wealthy endusers that acquired them from the first category for big bucks. So many of the facts about .CO that get frowned upon can be infact applied to .com and other TLDs but for some reason this seems to be ignored.

The biggest drops are typically those in the first two years following the landrush but it can be sustained over five or more years.

At the end of the first year you and others were constantly repeating the number of drops would be huge because the initial hype was over. When the drop phase finished and the numbers showed the opposite, the same started to say the real end for .CO would be the second anniversary. Again, the numbers just published show positive results and now the death of the extension is postponed by an unknown number of years...

•••
That's true for .com as well. All the best keywords are either owned by the big time domainers or the large companies/wealthy endusers that acquired them from the first category for big bucks. So many of the facts about .CO that get frowned upon can be infact applied to .com and other TLDs but for some reason this seems to be ignored.

The major difference is there is a demand on the secondary market for average terms in .COM. You don't need category defining terms in .COM to have value.

With .CO there is hardly any market for anything outside the top tier terms, most of which were grandfathered domains assigned before open registration or landrush even started.

The vast majority of good .CO sales are these domains either grandfathered or reserved by the registry.

Brad

•••
The major difference is there is a demand on the secondary market for average terms in .COM. You don't need category defining terms in .COM to have value.

With .CO there is hardly any market for anything outside the top tier terms, most of which were grandfathered domains assigned before open registration or landrush even started.

The vast majority of good .CO sales are these domains either grandfathered or reserved by the registry.

Brad

Brad, no doubt a .com doesn't need to be a category killer to have value (although every week you always have a bunch of 3-4 figure .co sales on Sedo that are far from being category killers). My post was a reply to the often-recurring statement that the cream of the crop in .CO is owned by a few big-time domainers. This is valid for .com as well.

•••

Brad

Thats true the demand is much bigger , but what about the supply ? lets take a look at Sedo's inventory , there are 100K .co domains Vs 8.2 Million .coms , hmmm so where that leaves us ? Nowhere , that's domaining and that's life , the best places are always crowded and more competitive and harder to compete in , why ? because it is a better place .I try to think outside the box , all new domainers reg 3 words combos .coms , i do that plus i try to find a one word left or expired at the major cctlds .co .co.uk .ch .at ... there are buyers for each extension don't worry ....

•••
Brad, no doubt a .com doesn't need to be a category killer to have value (although every week you always have a bunch of 3-4 figure .co sales on Sedo that are far from being category killers). My post was a reply to the often-recurring statement that the cream of the crop in .CO is owned by a few big-time domainers. This is valid for .com as well.

In .CO there is far more consolidation with top keywords because of the process. There are 5-10 entities that hold the vast majority of top keywords.

With .COM the top keywords are spread out over thousands of different owners, both domainers and end users.

Also, with .COM you are not having to compete against a registry that reserves top tier domains to sell for themselves.

The .CO registry reserved many top tier domains and is basically playing the role of domainer as well.

Brad

•••
In .CO there is far more consolidation with top keywords because of the process. There are 5-10 entities that hold the vast majority of top keywords.

With .COM the top keywords are spread out over thousands of different owners, both domainers and end users.

Also, with .COM you are not having to compete against a registry that reserves top tier domains to sell for themselves.

The .CO registry reserved many top tier domains and is basically playing the role of domainer as well.

Brad
And you cant get your hands on a one word .com either so whats the difference , whether it is spreaded over a handful of investors or thousands what that has to do with anything ?

Last edited:
•••

Brad

That's because Verisign came into play relatively late, when many premium .coms were already taken, but they play the role of domainer for .TV for example, with all those reserved domains that have to be bought and renewed yearly at "premium fees". Verisign and all other registries are no different than the team behind .CO.

•••
And you cant get your hands on a one word .com either so whats the difference , whether it is spreader over a handful of investors or thousands what that has to do with anything ?
There are still plenty of opportunities in .com. For example in the expired auctions or the aftermarket you can buy decent domains that will sell for a profit.
Forget about handregs if that is what you are thinking. It takes money to make money.

But in .co you can pretty much forget the handregs too. It's not like the small guy was ever given a chance to register top keywords. They were all reserved and auctioned by the registry. Or they were awarded to Colombian entities or well-prepared insiders who had the matching 3rd level domains.

What remains in .co is the crumbs after the registry and others have had their lunch.

Can you please share the good Spanish keywords you've got in .co, or any personal sales that we should know about.

•••
There are still plenty of opportunities in .com. For example in the expired auctions or the aftermarket you can buy decent domains that will sell for a profit.
Forget about handregs if that is what you are thinking. It takes money to make money.

But in .co you can pretty much forget the handregs too. It's not like the small guy was ever given a chance to register top keywords. They were all reserved and auctioned by the registry. Or they were awarded to Colombian entities or well-prepared insiders who had the matching 3rd level domains.

What remains in .co is the crumbs after the registry and others have had their lunch.

Can you please share the good Spanish keywords you've got in .co, or any personal sales that we should know about.

Hi , same applies to .co drops you can get your hands on better names paying less , anyway i had only 2 .co , the first is 3 English keywords high exacts with high cpc an expired domain , i took it after i started domaining which is recently , and i just took a one Spanish word an expired domain , a product related that has two pronunciations ,will add more soon , no sales yet i am afraid as i am new here ....

---------- Post added at 05:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 AM ----------

Agree you can imagine what remains after the took the best 1 Million domains , but what remains in the .com given the fact that the best 100 Million names are already taken :tu:

Last edited:
•••
Agree you can imagine what remains after the took the best 1 Million domains , but what remains in the .com given the fact that the best 100 Million names are already taken :tu:
It doesn't matter much if there are 1.3M or 104M regs, because we agree that only a tiny portion of the volume is worth anything. What we want is to have domains that belong to the 0.5% of valuable domains :gl:

•••
It doesn't matter much if there are 1.3M or 104M regs, because we agree that only a tiny portion of the volume is worth anything. What we want is to have domains that belong to the 0.5% of valuable domains :gl:

Thank you for your advice , i've noticed you own l.cr ,i guess you are looking for opportunities as well that's why you took .cr and listed it at 1K i think , which is cheaper than what i am looking for when i aim for German words .ch , .at or Spanish .co or single character IDN's ...

•••
Thank you for your advice , i've noticed you own l.cr ,i guess you are looking for opportunities as well that's why you took .cr and listed it at 1K i think , which is cheaper than what i am looking for when i aim for German words .ch , .at or Spanish .co or single character IDN's ...

This is what you refer to as supply and demand.

There is little supply of single letter domains, and a huge demand.

This logic does not apply the same with the .co extension, unless in the same single letter market.

•••
This is what you refer to as supply and demand.

There is little supply of single letter domains, and a huge demand.

This logic does not apply the same with the .co extension.

and it does for .cr ?

•••
and it does for .cr ?

Im saying there is demand and little supply for single letter names in almost all extensions. (including .co)

There will always be value there.

It's like comparing apples and oranges when it comes to keywords vs single letter names.

•••
Im saying there is demand and little supply for single letter names in almost all extensions. (including .co)

There will always be value there.

It's like comparing apples and oranges when it comes to keywords vs single letter names.

so it depends on the domain itself as well which what i was saying from the beginning , average .co price is higher than what she was asking for ( 1K ) , keywords.co could fetch higher than the 1 k , so it depends on the keyword not only the extension ...

•••
Do not jump to conclusions too fast.
We must have something like 2 .cr domains in the portfolio. And I am not a dreamer, I know for a fact that not all domains in the portfolio are premium or will ever sell (but you never know). Until they are not put to use, they remain parked. I will always find a development idea when I have the time.
But I would not advise anyone to invest in .cr domains at this point. Just like I would not encourage investing in .co, unless you have the opportunity to own a stellar keyword for very cheap.

That being said, 1K for a one-letter .cr domain is competitive when one-letter .co domains have sold for 5 figures. But that would be comparing apples to oranges :)

•••
Do not jump to conclusions too fast.
We must have something like 2 .cr domains in the portfolio. And I am not a dreamer, I know for a fact that not all domains in the portfolio are premium or will ever sell (but you never know). Until they are not put to use, they remain parked. I will always find a development idea when I have the time.
But I would not advise anyone to invest in .cr domains at this point. Just like I would not encourage investing in .co, unless you have the opportunity to own a stellar keyword for very cheap.

That being said, 1K for a one-letter .cr domain is competitive when one-letter .co domains have sold for 5 figures. But that would be comparing apples to oranges :)

Thanks , that's my point , portfolio diversification ,there is nothing wrong in looking for opportunities , i don't have to choose between extensions and that's what you did anyway ...

•••
so it depends on the domain itself as well which what i was saying from the beginning , average .co price is higher than what she was asking for ( 1K ) , keywords.co could fetch higher than the 1 k , so it depends on the keyword not only the extension ...

Yes to a point. Good keywords in the .co extension aren't worth much...not close to $1k. Of course there will be a descent sale here and there but even that will subside over time. Don't believe me? Try giving away a great keyword .mobi. No takers!

•••
Yes to a point. Good keywords in the .co extension aren't worth much...not close to $1k. Of course there will be a descent sale here and there but even that will subside over time. Don't believe me? Try giving away a great keyword .mobi. No takers!

whats your proof , i see .co sales at sedo all over the place , anyway even 500$ is a profit ...

•••

Stellar keywords in the .co extension may be worth holding, but only if aquired for a stellar (low) price.

I did say in the past that good keywords were worth holding onto if aquired at a good price.

Hand-Regging an available .co name thinking it is going to gain value is a different story in which was dicussed prior also.

The whole single letter topic is in a different realm, so it's not relevant.

•••
whats your proof , i see .co sales at sedo all over the place , anyway even 500$ is a profit ...

Proof?

You see a few fair sales out of 1.3 million registered domains. That's all the proof you should need. And btw, how do you know that the sellers of those domains didn't lose money or break even?

•••
Proof?

You see a few fair sales out of 1.3 million registered domains. That's all the proof you should need. And btw, how do you know that the sellers of those sales didn't lose money or break even?

It is irrelevant if they lost or made money , i am talking about the .co average price , and as i pointed earlier there are 100K .co domains at Sedo Vs 8.2 Million .coms , so the number of sales is irrelevant , what matters is the percentages .......

---------- Post added at 08:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

I did say in the past that good keywords were worth holding onto if aquired at a good price.

Hand-Regging an available .co name thinking it is going to gain value is a different story in which was dicussed prior also.

The whole single letter topic is in a different realm, so it's not relevant.

Then we agree , and if hand regs are worthless in .co then it is much worthless in .com as well so where that leaves us ?

•••
Back